Insomnia through worry!!

BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,278
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone else get insomnia through worrying too much?

I have quite an important university presentation to do in the morning, then I have got to get back pack and get on a 3 hour journey back home for Xmas. Yet due to all this over thinking, even though I feel physically drained, I cant sleep and have to be up in 3 hours :(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a natural worrier and have suffered from insomnia for many years.

Nothing I have done has ever changed that, i'm retired and still worry about the most stupid things. I don't know why, I suppose it's just the way I am.

Not much help to you, sorry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    OP, take a breath, you probably know all the answers anyway
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He had a point though. Why not just delay travelling back for Xmas for a day, thus relieving some of the stress.

Anyway, you've got two choices now. Either try to force yourself to have a few hours sleep, or just have a bath or shower and then copious cups of tea or coffee until you have to leave.

I have about 3 pound left out of a 1200 overdraft and cant get a refund on the advance ticket I have bought, so getting a different train would be a problem lol. Start work again on Tuesday morning too.

Yeah I think I might start on the coffee and pro-plus in a few hours :)
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Run a hot bath and climb in for 10 to 15 mins till you're all proper heated up. Then quickly get out and go sit in a cold room. The rapid change in body temperature should have a relaxing and sleep inducing effect.
  • BustedCatBustedCat Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should have checked the dates of your assignments before booking the train tickets to be honest.
  • Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    He had a point though. Why not just delay travelling back for Xmas for a day, thus relieving some of the stress.

Because you have to book long distance train tickets weeks in advance to avoid needing a bank loan to afford it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BustedCat wrote: »
    You should have checked the dates of your assignments before booking the train tickets to be honest.

Only got the date for the assignment 2 weeks ago as the original date clashed with a seminar and train tickets were already booked.
  • Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because you have to book long distance train tickets weeks in advance to avoid needing a bank loan to afford it.

Yeah. I didn't realise the op had pre-booked tickets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    & when does the course/Uni end for the Xmas break?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MegaWhat? wrote: »
    & when does the course/Uni end for the Xmas break?

Technically on Friday but all my sessions are self study this week
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigBmad wrote: »
    Technically on Friday but all my sessions are self study this week

So even though the presentation has been moved you would normally have a lecture or seminar on a Monday?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So even though the presentation has been moved you would normally have a lecture or seminar on a Monday?

No... Mondays my day off, which is the reason I asked for my presentation to be moved to then
  • DavidCHDavidCH Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If one is prone to worry and be up half the night then it's probably best to think about what is triggering it and get up and sort some of it. Once you have lived with this for some time you will be able to cope better and ensure things are done and planned in good time. But it will never go away completely it's just a matter ofl learning to control it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How far back did you know that this week (the last week before the Xmas break) all of your lectures/seminar time would be put as 'self study', which basically means you can be anywhere?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DavidCH wrote: »
    If one is prone to worry and be up half the night then it's probably best to think about what is triggering it and get up and sort some of it. Once you have lived with this for some time you will be able to cope better and ensure things are done and planned in good time. But it will never go away completely it's just a matter ofl learning to control it.

Yeah think it really is just learning to manage it. Some days I cant sleep till like 8 in the morning, its really frustrating and it seems to be mainly because I cant switch off when I go to bed
    How far back did you know that this week ( the last week before the Xmas break all of your lectures/seminar time would be put as 'self study', which basically means you can be anywhere)?

Most of them last week in the seminars when the tutors told us
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    To the OP, yip is my answer. It means you care too much about the situation, just let it go and enjoy the sleep Zzzzzzzz
  • slapmattslapmatt Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look on the bright side, only 3 sleeps til Christmas!