Options

''Just William'' - BBC One today.

Comments

• Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A reminder to Just William fans.... it's on at a different time today and starts at 12.50pm until 1.20pm!
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too much of the Botts - only the daughter really featured in the stories with her ongoing quest to become an Outlaw. And in the original story Aunt Augusta was naive. If there was a shaking head smilie, I'd use it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A reminder to Just William fans.... it's on at a different time today and starts at 12.50pm until 1.20pm!

So even the people who have enough free time to watch it will still have to hunt around the schedules.

Which idiot at the Beep okayed not only this kind of timeslot, but for it to be moved around so even those who can see it might miss it anyway?!
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it. Why don't they make more decent programmes, 'William' shows they are capable.
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoying this trip into the early 50's.

Good family entertainment.

However in both episode 1 and 3, I thought Ethel's skirt was too short for the period.
    Did they really have short skirts in the early 50's?
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pat13 wrote: »
    beautfully cast....apart from Robert who doesn't seem to be anything like how I remember him

Wasn't he 17 years old in the books, and a really moany teenager? I recall he was always saying things like, 'No one ever cares about me and how I feel!' That was my recollection, though I've not read one of the books in over 30years, and haven't seen the TV adaption being shown this Christmas.
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hatpeg wrote: »
    However in both episode 1 and 3, I thought Ethel's skirt was too short for the period.
    Did they really have short skirts in the early 50's?
    You are right. If skirts like that had been around in the early1950s the mini would not have been such a sensation ten years later.

Unless Ethel were about to play tennis or going to the beach she would not have worn such a short skirt in that period. Never mind, I do not mind seeing a little more leg at the expense of period detail.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=DavetheScot;46896

The woman who dropped her aitches was surely Mrs Bott, Violet Elizabeth's mother? Though I think it was more her husband that did that - but he wasn't really socially aspirational.

Wasn't that Diana Dors??
  • Options
    SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Absolutely loved this. Brought back such lovely memories of my own childhood in the 50's - and yes, we did go out all day and everyday and play in woods etc. And the summers were always sunny!

I read the books in the 50's as well (well, all those that had been written up to then) and my brother and I used to adore William. I have never been fond of all the versions up to now - they never measured up to my own memories of the books, but in this version I think all the outlaws, but particularly the child playing William are so believable and so is Violet Ezliabeth.

Oh, very well done, BBC! But such a shame you buried it in the morning schedule.
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this is a delightful programme, shame its been hidden away a bit i wouldve preferred to see it on a Sunday after the ridiculousness of Christmas & New Year was over
  • Options
    girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am enjoying this very much and todays episode has been my favourite so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wanted to add to the praise here.
    As a singleton in my 40s it's not meant for me but is charming TV.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Just watched today's episode...and loved it, yesterdays, for me, wasn't as good....has to be more episode's after tomorrows last episode.

And the Teacher is very funny....Wales...:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Loved watching this with the kids; terrific casting - and as an added bonus, the Bot's mansion is where we go to a chilli festival every year (Warren Clarke should get a medal for going into that pond, it's full of carp as big as Jaws!!)
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved watching this with the kids; terrific casting - and as an added bonus, the Bot's mansion is where we go to a chilli festival every year (Warren Clarke should get a medal for going into that pond, it's full of carp as big as Jaws!!)

If it's Bennington Lordship Gardens,in Herts, the real owner is Sarah Bott.
  • Options
    Lola UKLola UK Posts: 3,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im enjoying this far to much for being a 20 year old girl.. :o

But I used to read the books and listen to the tapes when I was younger and loved it! A nice bit of nostalgia :) I love recognising the storylines... :D
  • Options
    Melanie858Melanie858 Posts: 3,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hatpeg wrote: »
    If it's Bennington Lordship Gardens,in Herts, the real owner is Sarah Bott.

It is Bennington Lordship! Both me and my mum recognised it!
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    [QUOTE=DavetheScot;46896

The woman who dropped her aitches was surely Mrs Bott, Violet Elizabeth's mother? Though I think it was more her husband that did that - but he wasn't really socially aspirational.

Wasn't that Diana Dors??

Diana Dors played Mrs Bott in the 1970s series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    So even the people who have enough free time to watch it will still have to hunt around the schedules.

Which idiot at the Beep okayed not only this kind of timeslot, but for it to be moved around so even those who can see it might miss it anyway?!

I think the BBC saw this as primarily a childrens show, and if you accept that a daytime slot over the Christmas holidays makes sense. However, I think the potential audience is as likely to be adults who enjoyed the books as kids, and the slot was therefore misjudged.

I never have any sympathy with people who complain about missing things because they're moved around the schedules, I'm afraid. Read the listings, and you'll know when it's on. Only when the time is changed from what appears on the listings do I feel there's any cause for complaint.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't he 17 years old in the books, and a really moany teenager? I recall he was always saying things like, 'No one ever cares about me and how I feel!' That was my recollection, though I've not read one of the books in over 30years, and haven't seen the TV adaption being shown this Christmas.

I don't remember Robert from the books as quite like that. He was clearly quite young, though I don't think his age was clearly stated in any story I read, but he liked to pose as being much more mature and sophisticated than he was.

One thing they've changed from the books is this notion that Robert can't get a girlfriend. In the books he had a regular string of girlfriends, just like Ethel did boyfriends - though neither of them seemed to be able to sustain a relationship for long.

By the way, isn't the actress playing Ethel in this adaptation a babe? Absolutely gorgeous!
  • Options
    molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What time is the final episode on today? I wish it was on at a better hour :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I never have any sympathy with people who complain about missing things because they're moved around the schedules, I'm afraid. Read the listings, and you'll know when it's on. Only when the time is changed from what appears on the listings do I feel there's any cause for complaint.

Nice.

Some people are too busy to be chasing their favourite programmes around a newspaper/EPG every bloomin' day.

Once, shows used to stick to the same timeslot. Why can't they just do that now?
  • Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molybecks wrote: »
    What time is the final episode on today? I wish it was on at a better hour :mad:

Episode 4: 'William Holds the Stage' 12.25 - 12.55
    Tomboy Dorinda has moved into the village, and William seems to approve of this rat-catching, frog-stuffing girl. The impending Shakespeare competition seems the perfect opportunity to impress her, but when Dalrymple gets the part of Hamlet, William and his faithful Outlaws are spurred into action. With Rebecca Front, Daniel Roche, Daniel Ryan, John Sessions, and Denis Lawson (I like Denis as the headmaster)!
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget, all four episodes from 6pm tonight on BBC HD.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    Nice.

Some people are too busy to be chasing their favourite programmes around a newspaper/EPG every bloomin' day.

Once, shows used to stick to the same timeslot. Why can't they just do that now?
    It's not that time consuming to record programmes these days...with Just William, I just put it on Link, and the SKY box did the rest....:)
    :cool: