Judged for buying vodka at 9.03am!!

Comments

• cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in our local shop years ago one evening (different owner now) and i bought 4 cans of beer. I was on holiday and had previously been in the shop at lunchtine and bought 4 cans most of which were drunk that afternoon. Anyway when i went in and asked for the cans in the evening he said "what?, you were only in here getting 4 cans at dinner time". Cheeky ****, i told him as well.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before I retired from nursing I'd finish a twelve hour night shift, home for 08:00 put a curry in the microwave or knock up steak and chips and have a few beers/wine, my body thought it was night time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Yes, exactly. I bought a carton of 200 ciggies in Morrisons the other day, (simply because it's hugely cheaper than buying individual packets), and the woman standing next to me, (with about 85 lottery tickets to check :rolleyes:) said, 'Wow, you spend £63 on cigarettes??'.

I refrained from saying 'yes and what the eff has it got to do with you with your £85 of pointless lottery tickets'.

Some people have little concept of appropriate boundaries, while others are just nosy, busybody sods who think they have a God given right to broadcast their opinions on anything they like at the time no matter what. It can be hard to tell sometimes who means no offense, and who is being an intrusive arsehole on purpose. Sometimes it's perfectly obvious though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wrong thread :o
  • i_am_a_gremlini_am_a_gremlin Posts: 3,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the area, and the decision lies with the local authority. Obviously it doesn't make a difference to those larger Co-ops that are subject to Sunday trading laws anyway.

Our local Co-op can sell alcohol from 8am - 10pm every day including Sunday.

I think in Scotland you can only buy alcohol from 10am - 10pm on all days, not just Sunday.

its 10am-10pm weekdays and 12.30pm-10pm on sundays
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    An Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman get into a taxi.

The taxi driver turns around and says sternly: "Hi, I'm VoodooChic. Sorry guys you're going to have to get out because I can't take a joke".

So they get out and find alternative transportation.

I burst out laughing when I read this :D
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member

I'm in Dumbarton and I can buy alcohol before 12.30 on a Sunday :confused: this morning (about 10.10am) I bought a bottle of red wine to go in my beef stew later.

I'm sure the laws changed back in 2009 to say that on a Sunday in Scotland you can buy alcohol after 10am instead of 12.30pm? I'm sure it's 10am-10pm every day including Sunday's now.
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When was the last time you checked? They changed in a couple years ago. It's from 10am 7 days a week you can buy alcohol.

EDIT: What fizzle said :)
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Around last Christmas time Sainsbury knocked their 1L Harveys Bristol Cream down to something like £6 and they had a buy 6 and get 25% off on wine at the same time. For about 3 or 4 mornings that week on the way to work, ie about 7.30am, I was going through the checkout with my 6 bottles. Goodness knows what they must have been thinking!
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And there was me thinking supermarkets were such horrible places to do one's shopping because they were too impersonal.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Wow! The most popular thread I've made in months. *pours vodka* I can verify it was 9.03 that I purchased this vodka as it was 9.15 when I was walking through the car park....maybe they also broke licensing laws too. Ammo!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just jealous because I wanted to get some gin for the Archers omnibus, which starts at 10. Which is the same time Morrisons opens on a Sunday. Which sucks.
  • F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crumbs, dread to think what you would do if they offered you a larger bottle because it was on offer and thus, cheaper.
    ARE YOU CALLING ME AN ALCOHOLIC?
    Whoa luv, calm down eh. I understand now why you're buying it. Sheesh.

That would be judging but only because you put yourself in the situation.
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Is this like some kind of forum self-flagellation? Post something obviously petty and inane, and revel in the kicking that you know posters are going to give you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    OP..shouldve gone for it at 9.03 pm..not a word from the shop assistant then lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    OP..shouldve gone for it at 9.03 pm..not a word from the shop assistant then lol

If he'd been drinking for twelve hours straight I doubt they'd serve him!
  • citizenx103citizenx103 Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    husted wrote: »
    Milk is rubbish with vodka.

Not if you throw in a shot of amaretto...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? Alcohol does nothing worse to your body at 9:30 in the morning than it does at 9:30 at night. It's only social conventions that say otherwise. It could be for later; it could be for a recipe.

It's social convention for good reason, actually drinking alcohol first thing in the morning suggests a signifcant drinking problem and reflects badly on the person.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Before I retired from nursing I'd finish a twelve hour night shift, home for 08:00 put a curry in the microwave or knock up steak and chips and have a few beers/wine, my body thought it was night time.

Your mind may have thought it was night time but your body is governed by the amount of light so would know it was day time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should. "I pay for goods and services, not unsolicited opinions from your staff about my purchases."

or "Well, I quit my job on the Tesco checkout 10 mins ago because I won the lottery last night. No more menial jobs for me".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    It could be the Co - Ops policy to disapprove of those of us who purchase booze early in the morning. I once went in to my local Co-op at just about 8am and bought 3 bottles of wine for a tenner. The woman made a point of staring at the clock to make sure it was after 8am and gave me a dubious look. I didn't say anything , such as I was planning to drink them later, but that wouldn't have been true as I did open up a bottle as soon as I got home:D

At a local newsagents at my previous address a chap was buying a bottle of whisky at 8am. After he had gone the lady told me that him and two other mates came in , in turns at 8 each morning and then spent the rest of the day playing cards. She didn't seem to approve of their lifestyle, but I didn't understand her attitude as she owned the business and I would have thought she would be pleased to have sold so much booze.. The guys concerned were quite elderly , so what's wrong with a boozing and cards session each day , if that's what they want.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's social convention for good reason, actually drinking alcohol first thing in the morning suggests a signifcant drinking problem and reflects badly on the person.

No it doesn't. If I worked from 11 pm-7am and wanted a drink when I got off work, what's the difference between me having one when I get off a 10am-6pm shift? It could be the one drink I have all day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it doesn't. If I worked from 11 pm-7am and wanted a drink when I got off work, what's the difference between me having one when I get off a 10am-6pm shift? It could be the one drink I have all day.

I remember this well, couple of glasses of wine after I finished the night shift.:D
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    It could be the Co - Ops policy to disapprove of those of us who purchase booze early in the morning. I once went in to my local Co-op at just about 8am and bought 3 bottles of wine for a tenner. The woman made a point of staring at the clock to make sure it was after 8am and gave me a dubious look. I didn't say anything , such as I was planning to drink them later, but that wouldn't have been true as I did open up a bottle as soon as I got home:D

At a local newsagents at my previous address a chap was buying a bottle of whisky at 8am. After he had gone the lady told me that him and two other mates came in , in turns at 8 each morning and then spent the rest of the day playing cards. She didn't seem to approve of their lifestyle, but I didn't understand her attitude as she owned the business and I would have thought she would be pleased to have sold so much booze.. The guys concerned were quite elderly , so what's wrong with a boozing and cards session each day , if that's what they want.

The woman serving me acted like a church warden!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »

It's nobody's business what people buy and at what time - and as you rightly say, you'd have thought the shop would be glad of the custom.

I would quite like to spend my days playing cards and drinking whisky.:)