Options

Trying to Install Microsoft Office, need help, am a luddite, please help!

13»

Comments

• Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Skyclad wrote: »
    They have little legal force in the EU so I wouldn't worry too much.

If the product was not fit for purpose - which in this case it seems it wasn't - then the retailer is legally bound to refund the customer. There is a bit of a grey area here because the item will only be unfit if the purchaser informed the retailer of the operating system is was required for. It seems they buyer stated windows and the retailer said OK - which I would take to mean any version of Windows - a court may not agree.

The state of the scratch card is not relevant.

All that said - John Lewis have a no quibble money back guarantee - so shouldn't be a problem.
    The card is fit for purpose. The issue is that the software is not designed for the OP's particular computer. The only ambiguity is wether the retailer should have possibly highlighted the requirements, given that the OP made it clear they weren't sure what they needed. This is an issue for JL, not Microsoft nor the EU.
  • Options
    MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've re-started my laptop and I now have a Libre Office 4.1 icon on my desktop. Have had a tiny dabble at Word and it seems to have saved, which I what I needed.

Does that sound like it's working ok and I've done it right? :)

Sounds like you're up and running.
  • Options
    duvindupainduvindupain Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Migster wrote: »
    Sounds like you're up and running.

Yay! I couldn't have done it without you all :)
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is if the OP installs Windows 7 or 8 on top of vista it will erase any work they have on the system. OP, before you install Windows 7 or 8 make sure you back up any work.
  • Options
    MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    The thing is if the OP installs Windows 7 or 8 on top of vista it will erase any work they have on the system. OP, before you install Windows 7 or 8 make sure you back up any work.

Rather than a simple backup, the Windows Easy Transfer utility is probably a better bet, as in addition to your files, it will also copy various settings that will make the upgrade process as seamless as possible.
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Migster wrote: »
    Rather than a simple backup, the Windows Easy Transfer utility is probably a better bet, as in addition to your files, it will also copy various settings that will make the upgrade process as seamless as possible.

Am I mistaken or is there not an option when upgrading to retain all your applications and files intact?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got it from John Lewis, so I'll give it a go.
    Feel a bit ripped off, they didn't mention anything about Windows. Wish I'd posted here first!

John Lewis generally won't offer a refund or exchange on anything software, but you can try to explain.

Point out you've relied on a shop assistant for help, and that the assistant didn't ask you which version of Windows you were using. And that you didn't know how crucial this was until you tried to install it.

With that in mind, a manager might offer a refund in form of store credit, which you could use to purchase an older version of Office.

It varies from one manager to another. If he or she refuses, come back later or another day and try your luck with a hopefully different manager.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    John Lewis generally won't offer a refund or exchange on anything software, but you can try to explain.

Point out you've relied on a shop assistant for help, and that the assistant didn't ask you which version of Windows you were using. And that you didn't know how crucial this was until you tried to install it.

With that in mind, a manager might offer a refund in form of store credit, which you could use to purchase an older version of Office.

It varies from one manager to another. If he or she refuses, come back later or another day and try your luck with a hopefully different manager.
    The Office 2010 DVDs and cards don't appear to be still in production. There is a small possibility they may have old stock lieing around but none of the major retailers are stocking it as new so I'd be very surprised if somewhere like JL had it.

If I was in OPs boat I would ring Microsoft, explain the situation and ask if its possible to exchange the un-used 2013 key for a 2010 one. Worst that will happen is they will say no.
    John146 wrote:
    Am I mistaken or is there not an option when upgrading to retain all your applications and files intact?
    Yes, you can do this with Vista going to 7. It would need to be the same architecture (32bit to 32bit or 64bit to 64bit) and there are a few exceptions. More info here.

I don't think it would be wise for the OP to attempt it on their own though. No disrespect to the OP but an OS upgrade could easily create a whole new load of unforeseen problems that someone who is not computer-literate might struggle to deal with and potentially make things a lot worse for themselves.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good thing for you to do is to see if your local library does basic computer introduction, and NEVER be afraid to ask in places like PC world, they'll be more than happy to give you any advice that you ask!

if the MSoffice is a physical product (on disc), you can't do any harm in asking if you can return the product, as it's not fit for purpose ..... more likely you will get store credit .....

now that you know what OS you have, try to keep it in mind :D and whenever you are browsing more software CHECK THE MACHINE SPECIFICATIONS (a list of figures on the side of the box usually indicating what the minimum amount of things like memory and hard drive space and processor speed)

lastly get used to your machine, never be afraid to open a folder to see what's in it ..... the WINDOWS folder is a nice place to go, see how much is in it :D

oh yes, i used OPEN OFFICE when i didn't have MS office, but now i'm back on OO just for the word processing part (i use ANOTHER for the spreadsheet)

oh and one more thing ..... never EVER open your machine up!!!!!

it'll disturb the wee men working it :D

believe me, it can be like going through the wardrobe into narnia!

GOOD LUCK
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    and NEVER be afraid to ask in places like PC world, they'll be more than happy to give you any advice that you ask!

Worst advice ever. PC World lie to customers in order to get a sale.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    good thing for you to do is to see if your local library does basic computer introduction, and NEVER be afraid to ask in places like PC world, they'll be more than happy to give you any advice that you ask!

yes they will, any advice (or as we like to call it 'random nonsense') at all.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nevermind. you do need windows 7 or 8