saying ''these people'' is derogatory

Norn2Norn2 Posts: 1,984
Forum Member
✭✭✭
gosh everything is derogatory to jenna, apparently everyone is anti-semetic and xenophobic in her eyes

Comments

• JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    Whilst I am aware and appreciate that the phrase 'these people' can be and has been used in the past in a derogatory way towards sections of society, sometimes the words really do just actually refer to some persons acting in a particular way or whatever, as was the case tonight.

I like Jenna but I thought she over-reacted there with Bobby Davro.
  • HoneysmumHoneysmum Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    I felt Bobbys' pain there, you can't get a whole sentence out without someone reacting and jumping down your throat. That (amongst) other things will become very tiresome >:(
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    No....I think he was just incredibly frustrated that NONE of those pdope appear to be able to shut up and listen...those people being the Americans
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Its quite funny she thought bobby meant Americans,when he clearly meant people with big mouths, who will not listen to others and are full of their own importance. Noone cares your American just be pleasant.
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People don't listen to reason, that's the problem here.
    Too much to say about nothing. Felt sorry for Bobby.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big mouth Americans, he was right.
  • Robbie_CraigRobbie_Craig Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He needs a big stick or maybe a cattle prod to
    shut them all up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Big mouth Americans, he was right.

They are loud people but no louder than many British housemates past and present.
  • janetcomelatelyjanetcomelately Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Bobby was hilariously useless in trying to take control. To be fair, he had no chance. Jenna grossly over reacted as a result of her not understanding what Bobby meant.
  • Flo71Flo71 Posts: 2,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm done with Jenna, she is starting to show her true colours and it isn't pleasant.
  • Evie-Grace_2Evie-Grace_2 Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Jenna is very annoying, I hope she is on the first plane home.
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JT Effect wrote: »
    Whilst I am aware and appreciate that the phrase 'these people' can be and has been used in the past in a derogatory way towards sections of society, sometimes the words really do just actually refer to some persons acting in a particular way or whatever, as was the case tonight.

I like Jenna but I thought she over-reacted there with Bobby Davro.
    Agreed. She had a point with "these people" but she was just over-dramatic.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I think she did have a point, although I expect that Bobby didn't mean for it to come out that way.
    'These people' does sounds like he was referring to a 'us and them' situation. However I don't think Bobby meant any harm, it's just that it sort of just slipped out without him realising it.

The closest comparison I can think of where it's happened before was way back in BB6 when Saskia said to Makosi 'You people', when the house had a very diverse mix of ethnicity.

Even if you don't mean any ill intent, you still have to be wise in your choice of words.
  • acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
    Forum Member
    She finds everything offensive, yet she doesn't really care about who she offends.
  • JVSJVS Posts: 12,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bobby was hilariously useless in trying to take control. ....

It was quite amusing watching trying to wrangle cats.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I think she did have a point, although I expect that Bobby didn't mean for it to come out that way.
    'These people' does sounds like he was referring to a 'us and them' situation. However I don't think Bobby meant any harm, it's just that it sort of just slipped out without him realising it.

The closest comparison I can think of where it's happened before was way back in BB6 when Saskia said to Makosi 'You people', when the house had a very diverse mix of ethnicity.

Even if you don't mean any ill intent, you still have to be wise in your choice of words.

I would agree with you. I know that context is everything - whether he meant 'these people' as in those people directly in front of him, 'these people' who are shouting or 'these people' as in the Americans it's not clear, although it's implied the third one

I can't remember who he said it to, if it was an American then perhaps he meant something akin to the first two options, if it was a Brit then probably the third.

Either way, as you say, you do have to watch what you say no matter what comes out in the heat of the moment when you aren't quite thinking before you speak.
  • EnricoIVEnricoIV Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deeferone wrote: »
    Its quite funny she thought bobby meant Americans,when he clearly meant people with big mouths, who will not listen to others and are full of their own importance. Noone cares your American just be pleasant.

She had already said something to him about "having a go at the Americans" which he not too later followed with a "these people." I do think that's what he meant.

The funniest part of the whole "argument" was that Janice was 100% right. They all used the tub, and left it a mess. They should clean it up. Austin's solution was to have Gail do it. Jenna seemed to think it needed doing, but that Janice shouldn't point it out. Bobby decided Janice was wrong for thinking people should clean up after themselves. So everybody was wrong.
  • GrozzyGirlGrozzyGirl Posts: 1,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honeysmum wrote: »
    I felt Bobbys' pain there, you can't get a whole sentence out without someone reacting and jumping down your throat. That (amongst) other things will become very tiresome >:(

Agree. I thought he did well not to lose his temper.

And Jenna said it was discriminatory to say These people although she probably meant derogatory

But if that is all he said I think he should be PM, he can keep a cool head. I'd have flattened her :blush: