Brussell Sprouts

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
Forum Member
Can't stand the things - they taste like my farts smell.

If you like them fine.. BUT

What I don't get is people who don't like them - but still insist on having them as part of Xmas dinner.

I've just had this conversation with my Father-in-Law after doing his Xmas shopping for him.

He doesn't really like them, and Mother-in-law can't stand them either, but he insists on buying them for Xmas dinner.

I quote..

"If you mash them up with the stuffing, they're just about tolerable"

Can anyone explain this mindset ?

Comments

• SlowRapSlowRap Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the same as not liking your family but still having to invite them over for Christmas.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are 7 of us here and 4 of us love them. Is that unusual?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    i've never tried them...its the thought of the texture that puts me off...i mean are they hard inside? soft? slimy? a variety?

yuck:(
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love them. But I love them as they are. Lately tv chefs have been mullering them with fancy stuff, chopping them up, putting lardons with them, & basically ballsing them up!
    The restaurant we are going to xmas day better not try any of that crap!
  • SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    8 of us for Christmas dinner - and 6 love them, so of course we are having them.

Mind you, I think that even I would turn up my nose at what is often served up as sprouts - over-cooked, watery, horrible.

If you cook them until just below tender, then toss them in fried onions, lardons and whole chestnuts, cooked for just a little more with salt and pepper, they are lovely.
  • JustJanetnoJohnJustJanetnoJohn Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Went to the Toby yesterday and was well lush to have them after being snowed in. Even bought some in tescos.:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    missrae wrote: »
    i've never tried them...its the thought of the texture that puts me off...i mean are they hard inside? soft? slimy? a variety?

yuck:(

If you have never tried them, how do you know that you don't like them? :confused:
  • embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    I love 'em! Soggy sprouts caked in thick gravy! Yum yum! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    elke21 wrote: »
    If you have never tried them, how do you know that you don't like them? :confused:

i don't! its fear of the unknown lol..i don't know what to expect when i bite into them. plus the smell does nothing to make them appeal to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sallysally wrote: »
    8 of us for Christmas dinner - and 6 love them, so of course we are having them.

Mind you, I think that even I would turn up my nose at what is often served up as sprouts - over-cooked, watery, horrible.

If you cook them until just below tender, then toss them in fried onions, lardons and whole chestnuts, cooked for just a little more with salt and pepper, they are lovely.

Noooooooo! Why why why!!! :mad:
    Leave em alone! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emby wrote: »

^ this! Although slightly less cooked is better.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love them now that I cook them myself - I just steam them and they're yum. But my mum used to pressure cook everything for 10 minutes so they'd be a watery pile of horriblemess which put me off for years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emby wrote: »

Me to, but not quite as soggy.

I eat them all year, sprouts are not just for christmas:D:D
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    I love them. But I love them as they are. Lately tv chefs have been mullering them with fancy stuff, chopping them up, putting lardons with them, & basically ballsing them up!The restaurant we are going to xmas day better not try any of that crap!
    This is the only way the bloody things are edible. Plain boiled Sprouts are fooking disgusting. :cool:
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do that & they are yummy.
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    They taste revolting but make a great projectile...

*Dons Blue Peter badge and stands at the table*

We've had hundreds of letters from DS users asking what can be done to get rid of the mountains of uneaten satan spawn known as brussel sprouts. Well kids, here's a fun game that even your nan will like -
    - Take a handful of brussel sprouts from the big bowl your mum put on the table (which will still be full post turkey) and take somewhere quiet (you may need shoes) with the used Party Poppers (with string intact don't forget) you've been scooping up from the floor.
    - Get rid of the cardboard inserts, you won't be needing them.
    - Now gently pop a brussel up the Party Poppers pooper, past the rim.
    - Now (and here's where the skill lies) holding the string near the end (firmly though, Aunt Hilda's already blind in one eye!) start spinning. Get a feel for the motion required to bring the brussel to firing speed, not so fast as to launch, you won't be able to aim it the only one having fun will be the dog.
    - From spinning to launch is one easy flick of the wrist, have a go in the garage, your dad won't mind.
    - Mastery comes in the form of perfecting the flick, it can mean the difference between sprout on the ceiling and a thick ear, or a brussel in Nan's Sherry and your're everyone's hero.
    - There you go, you be the Christmas crackshot in no time!:D
    /bp
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The vegetable from Beelzebubb's very own arse.

Satanic hemorrhoids.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I like them if they are cooked properly, but you can say that about vegetables as a whole.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to hate them when i was younger, but now i love them.

I have just bought two large stalks of Brussels, and i cant wait. We will have them boiled lightly, just as they are, and the ones that are left will go into a bubble and squeak.
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member

Then hurl in a slug of Marsala or Madeira... you'll like them even more. :cool:
  • SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Noooooooo! Why why why!!! :mad:
    Leave em alone! :D

Sorry to upset you :D
    I have to say that most of the time I do have them completely unvarnished - but on Xmas Day I do something a little extra.

Or not, actually. I have just realised that some years I have served them plain - but this year it is going to be as I said.

"And hurl in a slug of Madeira or Marsala".
    Hmmm.... I think I might try that - but not this year as I am having cider gravy with the goose and it might clash.
  • Melanie858Melanie858 Posts: 3,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Brussels Sprouts!! I think many people who don't like them have only tried them over or under cooked...if they're cooked just right they're delicious. We don't add anything to them like bacon, just steam them in a little water.
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like them but only in small measures. about 5/6 max.

I also like them in the boxing day breakfast bubble and squeak.:)
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The methane that is extruded from sprout eating humans depletes the ozone layer every Christmas by quite a high percentage and is the equivalent of 14,043 Boeing757s taking off and landing every year.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I eat them raw everyday, mainly to clean my teeth after eating something like bread.