Options

"Don't hog the middle lane"

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,163
Forum Member
✭✭✭
"Keep left unless overtaking"

Two messages I have seen recently on motorway matrix signs while using the M6. A couple of things:
  1. If you don't know how to use a motorway, you shouldn't drive on one
  2. Don't carry on tootling past the sign IN THE MIDDLE LANE.

It is a pain in the arse trying to overtake a lorry, when there is a solid line of cars in the middle lane blocking your way.

Frankly, we shouldn't have to be telling people how to use a motorway, they should learn how to drive on a road with more than one lane when they are taking lessons.

Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Keep left unless overtaking"

Two messages I have seen recently on motorway matrix signs while using the M6. A couple of things:
    1. If you don't know how to use a motorway, you shouldn't drive on one
    2. Don't carry on tootling past the sign IN THE MIDDLE LANE.

It is a pain in the arse trying to overtake a lorry, when there is a solid line of cars in the middle lane blocking your way.

Frankly, we shouldn't have to be telling people how to use a motorway, they should learn how to drive on a road with more than one lane when they are taking lessons.

Just another example of the 'me me me' society we have.

People in the middle lane should only be taking over the inner lane if the vehicle before them is going slower than the speed limit.

If that is the case then they should over take and then go back into the inner lane.

No one in the outer lane should be doing more than the speed limit.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just another example of the 'me me me' society we have.

People in the middle lane should only be taking over the inner lane if the vehicle before them is going slower than the speed limit.

If that is the case then they should over take and then go back into the inner lane.

No one in the outer lane should be doing more than the speed limit.

I wouldn't have thought that's feasible with plenty of lorries traveling at 56mph anyway :D
  • Options
    DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think outer lane speeders/hoggers/tailgaters trump the odd MLD. They are usually the ones who complain and start pointing at the rule book because they are an 'annoyance'. If people kept to the speed limit there would be less overtaking and less.....middle lane drivers.
  • Options
    TenpeTenpe Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is nothing wrong with cruising in the middle lane if you are doing 70mph. No more no less. You cannot be called a middle lane hogger if you do this. I am sick to death of all these holier than thou drivers who moan moan moan about drivers in the middle lane.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tenpe wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with cruising in the middle lane if you are doing 70mph. No more no less. You cannot be called a middle lane hogger if you do this. I am sick to death of all these holier than thou drivers who moan moan moan about drivers in the middle lane.

You are meant to pull back in to the inner lane if it is clear.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought that's feasible with plenty of lorries traveling at 56mph anyway :D

Lorries shouldn't be in the outer lane - they are confined, by law, to all but the outer lane.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just move over a couple of metres and cruise in the correct lane. If everybody does this, when you do need to overtake, there won't be a whole load of cars blocking you.
  • Options
    Flower PotFlower Pot Posts: 16,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctorb wrote: »
    I think outer lane speeders/hoggers/tailgaters trump the odd MLD. They are usually the ones who complain and start pointing at the rule book because they are an 'annoyance'. If people kept to the speed limit there would be less overtaking and less.....middle lane drivers.
    odd? theyre defnitely extremely odd but i suspect thats not what you meant! the roads are full of them! :confused: im sick of having to cross 2 lanes to overtake them rather than risk prosecution for undertaking or the possibilty of an accident if they suddenly remember the rules of the road (fat chance) & pull into the correct lane without observing.
  • Options
    Flower PotFlower Pot Posts: 16,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haha nice wind-up
  • Options
    buffyslaybuffyslay Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flower Pot wrote: »
    odd? theyre defnitely extremely odd but i suspect thats not what you meant! the roads are full of them! :confused: im sick of having to cross 2 lanes to overtake them rather than risk prosecution for undertaking or the possibilty of an accident if they suddenly remember the rules of the road (fat chance) & pull into the correct lane without observing.

Technically you cannot under-take, as you should only be in an overtaking lane if you are actually overtaking or in traffic. Then if you are in traffic then you are allowed to undertake!!

Get back in the driving lane.....!!!! Don't sit in the middle lane if you are not overtaking!!! Grrrrrr
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are meant to pull back in to the inner lane if it is clear.

why? I'm not in anyone's way. If people say I am in their way then they are exceeding the speed limit and breaking the law
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flower Pot wrote: »
    odd? theyre defnitely extremely odd but i suspect thats not what you meant! the roads are full of them! :confused: im sick of having to cross 2 lanes to overtake them rather than risk prosecution for undertaking or the possibilty of an accident if they suddenly remember the rules of the road (fat chance) & they pull into the correct lane without observing.
    Get a live cam of any Motorway and we shall count how many dawdling MLD's they are compared to 3rd lane tailgaters, speeders AND middle/outer lane hoggers.
    Not saying that MLD's are not a problem, just that those who usually complain about them do not really have the right to point to the Highway code or complain of 'poor' driving or lack of respect. They will though.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    why? I'm not in anyone's way. If people say I am in their way then they are exceeding the speed limit and breaking the law

Because if the inner lane is clear then you should be in it.
    Simple really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because if the inner lane is clear then you should be in it.
    Simple really.

but why when you will almost certainly have to wear tyres by turning around limitered lorries? I am not hindering anyone if I stick to 70 and I will save on tyre wear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    but why when you will almost certainly have to wear tyres by turning around limitered lorries? I am not hindering anyone if I stick to 70 and I will save on tyre wear.

LOL More 'me me me' excuses.

Tyre wear? Is that the best you can come up with?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL More 'me me me' excuses.

Tyre wear? Is that the best you can come up with?

If you do the mileage that I do per year, and with the cost of fuel, you will look to save in any way possible, so tyre wear is a perfectly valid point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 Wrongs....

1, Even if you are doing 70mph in the middle lane, you should pull over to the inner lane when clear.

2, 70mph is the limit.

Pretty easy really.....
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are aware that an indicated 70 on your speedo the true vehicle speed could be as low as about 64 in reality don't you?

So unless you have it calibrated in the same way that some police vehicles are there is no way you can be absolutely certain that the car behind you is exceeding the limit and it is in fact you who are causing the delay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you do the mileage that I do per year, and with the cost of fuel, you will look to save in any way possible, so tyre wear is a perfectly valid point.

I get it. You only care about yourself. No need to make excuses.
    I prefer wolves to lambs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctorb wrote: »
    2 Wrongs....

1, Even if you are doing 70mph in the middle lane, you should pull over to the inner lane when clear.

2, 70mph is the limit.

Pretty easy really.....

Why? If other drivers want to break the speed limit that is what the outer lane is for.
    chrisjr wrote: »
    You are aware that an indicated 70 on your speedo the true vehicle speed could be as low as about 64 in reality don't you?

So unless you have it calibrated in the same way that some police vehicles are there is no way you can be absolutely certain that the car behind you is exceeding the limit and it is in fact you who are causing the delay.

I have a sat nav, which tells me the true speed
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Except it goes against the guidance given in the highway code............

And you are assuming your speedo is accurate. Most speedometers over read by a few MPH - so when it reads 70 - you may be travelling slower. It also means - you cant assume that the person catching you up in the middle lane is breaking the speed limit.
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    the trouble is the outer lane has slow driver in it - sometimes you cant get past 50mph cos of lorries or pensioners, so i have no choice but to go into the middle lane but i do at least cruise at70mph. it is dangerous to be weaving in and out of the outer lane everytime you come up to a slow coach - lane swapping can be dangerous so it's best to stick to the middle lane.

also i'm fed up of drivers joining the motorway and not waiting for a safe gap - a few times i've been in the outer lane and had to take drastic action ie slam on or move into the middle lane (if it was safe to do so).
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a sat nav, which tells me the true speed

So do I. I have been stationary with the engine switched off and the Sat Nav was convinced I was doing 10 mph. On a flat level road averaged over a long enough period a Sat Nav might get very close to your true speed but I would never rely on it.

And just for reference may I draw your attention to Highway Code rule 264?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069862
  • Options
    LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I accidently hogged the middle lane, but there were interesting circumstances

Traffic cops had pulled over a car in the left, I was overtaking a Jag but the road suddenly became in inclined hill and my poor Peugeot started struggling and I couldn't pass the jab. I was going to shift down and then pass, but a cop car pulled off the hard shoulder into the left land extremely fast with no lights/indicators, so I didn't know what he was doing and didn't want to cut him off...still no lights - he goes into right lane and shoots off and warp speed.

Could the cop have pulled me for being an obstruction when I realistically had room to move back into left lane
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    So do I. I have been stationary with the engine switched off and the Sat Nav was convinced I was doing 10 mph. On a flat level road averaged over a long enough period a Sat Nav might get very close to your true speed but I would never rely on it.

And just for reference may I draw your attention to Highway Code rule 264?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069862

But it says 'you should', not must.