Another High Street Chain Gone In Administration

occyoccy Posts: 65,045
Forum Member
✭✭
FASHION chain Republic is set to go into administration, putting 1,000 jobs across the country at risk.

The retailer, which has 121 stores across the UK has shops in Darlington, Teesside Park, Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Metro Centre, Newcastle and York.

Accounting firm Ernst & Young is reportedly being lined up as administrator.

To posh shop can't complete with supermarket chains.

Comments

• 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »

I'd say Republic's problem was it found itself in the middle. Not posh, not chavvy. It was for an age group that probably is feeling the pinch too and isn't buying new jeans or tops that often. I don't think I've ever bought anything in there, it didn't look appealing enough and had blaring music!!

I feel sorry for those people losing their jobs of course :(
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    So is Republic a North East chain? I used to go into the one on Middlesbrough but its a little too expensive for me these days!
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Source?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    FASHION chain Republic is set to go into administration, putting 1,000 jobs across the country at risk.

The retailer, which has 121 stores across the UK has shops in Darlington, Teesside Park, Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Metro Centre, Newcastle and York.

Accounting firm Ernst & Young is reportedly being lined up as administrator.

Republic isn't posh, more in-between, Superdry is posh/expensive
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So is Republic a North East chain? I used to go into the one on Middlesbrough but its a little too expensive for me these days!

They have Republic down here too :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Never heard of them

There's one in Luton and I think one in St Albans if ever you go shopping there :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    Republic isn't posh, more in-between, Superdry is posh/expensive

haha superdry is posh?
  • thapthapthapthap Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never heard of them

seconded :S
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Does this mean sale?
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    There's one in Luton and I think one in St Albans if ever you go shopping there :)

Never shop in Luton and go to St Albans about twice a year - I'm probably out of their target age range :D
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    Sorry? Republic posh?!

Erm... some people have a very strange idea of what a "posh" shop is.

Middle of the road high street at best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    Sorry? Republic posh?!

It's where chavs go (used to :D) on payday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haha superdry is posh?

Superdry exploded too fast and then the chavs picked up on it and it lost all its appeal for me. It seems whole families of a certain kind have a Superdry jacket when they go out!
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,790
    Forum Member
    I knew it would be one I had never heard of when I saw the thread title was about a rather vague "Another High Street Chain".

A few posts giving sympathy to those who lost their jobs, a critique of how the company has failed, a few posts bickering over gift cards and then we can all move on to post the same comments in the upcoming thread about whichever the next one will be to go bust.
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    Oh boo I like Republic got a few nice things from there.
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Never bloody heard of 'em.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Never heard of them

Neither have I well not until the thread last week about them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    Sorry? Republic posh?!

It's not exactly House of Fraser or Fenwicks, is it? :D

Just looking at their website, I just wonder who their stuff is aimed at? There's a lot of tacky stuff you'd associate more with the cheaper Blue Inc shop
  • Cpl_CarrottCpl_Carrott Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    haha superdry is posh?

My thoughts exactly, unfortunately they're a victim of their own success, in that their clothing seems to be de rigueur sheep wear for the chavvy youth of today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Superdry exploded too fast and then the chavs picked up on it and it lost all its appeal for me. It seems whole families of a certain kind have a Superdry jacket when they go out!

Any item of clothing that has a brand name plastered all over it bigger than a shop front, deserves the same fate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    I knew it would be one I had never heard of when I saw the thread title was about a rather vague "Another High Street Chain".

A few posts giving sympathy to those who lost their jobs, a critique of how the company has failed, a few posts bickering over gift cards and then we can all move on to post the same comments in the upcoming thread about whichever the next one will be to go bust.

Can I just say.... it's not going to be Argos! :D:D

I don't think I could take another thread about Argos possibly closing down lol ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My thoughts exactly, unfortunately they're a victim of their own success, in that their clothing seems to be de rigueur sheep wear for the chavvy youth of today.

Same happened with that Ed Hardy brand. I spent almost £200 on a pair of jeans years ago. Now it seems to be the staple uniform around places like Salford. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I remember years ago Superdry used to be a small area of House of Fraser, and it used to be 'the brand', then Beckham was spotted wearing it and the chavs all wanted to wear it then. Those huge shops SD have are just so samey and there are only so many t-shirts and checked shirts with huge logos anyone can wear