Options

IDS behaviour

Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did anyone else think that IDS' behaviour after the Budget was a complete disgrace? What's with him punching the air as if he was at a football match?

Comments

• Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. Absolute disgrace. Even if he's very happy with the announcement he should have had some dignity and realise that minimum wage issues are extremely sensitive to a lot of people out there. This isn't a game.
  • Options
    MattXfactorMattXfactor Posts: 3,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't actually see it admittedly, but if he was punching the air at the NMW going up to £9 per hour than at least he was celebrating that will be helping the working classes?
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it was awful.
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'd rather he punched the air, than a member of the public.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    i wish someone would punch him.
  • Options
    RichTeaBiscuitRichTeaBiscuit Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God forbid a politician be enthusiastic about his work.
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IDS has worked long and hard to reform the welfare state. Surely he is allowed to celebrate another few steps along the road to fiscal sanity
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What? So there going to increase min wage to £9ph? From when? & why is it bad that a politician punched the air at probibly the best news I've heard. Just going to check this out as this thread has NO INFORMATION ABOUT THIS AT ALL!
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    IDS has worked long and hard to reform the welfare state. Surely he is allowed to celebrate another few steps along the road to fiscal sanity

In your world reform = destroy
    Not in my world
  • Options
    MorlockMorlock Posts: 3,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What? So there going to increase min wage to £9ph?

No, a 'national living wage' of £9 per hour will be introduced by 2020. Although no employers are obliged to pay this, it's just a recommended figure which companies will be asked nicely to pay before they say 'no'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What? So there going to increase min wage to £9ph? From when? & why is it bad that a politician punched the air at probibly the best news I've heard. Just going to check this out as this thread has NO INFORMATION ABOUT THIS AT ALL!

Here's his reaction: https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/westminster/632257/video-iain-duncan-smith-goes-viral-following-priceless-reaction-budget-announcement/

He was punching the air at the announcement that the NMW will be £9 per hour for people aged 25 and over by 2020. I, like you, am struggling to see why people are annoyed. A politician shows enough passion at working peoples wages going up from £6.5 to £9 per hour within 5 years to shout and cheer, surely that is a good thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morlock wrote: »
    No, a 'national living wage' of £9 per hour will be introduced by 2020. Although no employers are obliged to pay this, it's just a recommended figure which companies will be asked nicely to pay before they say 'no'.

No, he is increasing the NMW to £9 per hour by 2020. Employers will be forced to pay the living wage for people aged 25 and over.
  • Options
    MorlockMorlock Posts: 3,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't actually see it admittedly, but if he was punching the air at the NMW going up to £9 per hour than at least he was celebrating that will be helping the working classes?

I'm sure the intention to confuscate is deliberate, by announcing a £9 per hour 'national living wage' many will now believe that the 'national minimum wage' is rising to £9 per hour.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else think that IDS' behaviour after the Budget was a complete disgrace? What's with him punching the air as if he was at a football match?

I'm missing something. What's wrong in celebrating a huge jump in the lowest level of pay that companies are allowed to give employees?

What a topsy turvy world we live in. Had Labour done this, their supporters would be outside singing in the streets.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the intention to confuscate is deliberate, by announcing a £9 per hour 'national living wage' many will now believe that the 'national minimum wage' is rising to £9 per hour.

I suspect as the Living wage will be compulsory, the NMW will be rendered obsolete.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this really goods news?

How much will everything else go up by 2020?
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's because it will be that by 2020.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was specifically announced that for people aged over 25, living wage will be compulsory or if you like the "NMW" will be £9 for people aged over 25. This is clear.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osborne’s “living wage” is a con trick. Cuts to tax credits mean wage to live on would need to be much higher than £9 in 2020
    Liz Kendall
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its not good news that the NMW will rise over 30% for people over 25 by 2020?
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not party political because Labour did it as well but isn't it really annoying how they announce 'good news' years in advance

Shouldn't the budget be about the coming year then next year's budget should be about the year after that

What's happening in 2020 should be in the 2019 budget

How far does this have to go before everyone starts laughing ?

For example if the Chancellor had announced that the minimum wage would be £35 an hour in 2074........
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Does this really warrant a thread?
    Are the left really this desparate?
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God forbid a politician be enthusiastic about his work.
    Some very unsavoury politicians have been enthusiastic about "their work" in the past.
    No, he is increasing the NMW to £9 per hour by 2020. Employers will be forced to pay the living wage for people aged 25 and over.
    £9 per hour sounds all very good here in 2015 but by 2020 will not seem anywhere near as impressive. It's a clever feel good trick. Now if it was being announced from September this year it might be genuinely worthy.
    David Tee wrote: »
    I suspect as the Living wage will be compulsory, the NMW will be rendered obsolete.
    As far as I was concerned I thought that the current National Living Wage was meant to be considered something around the £8 per hour? So this is a defacto scrapping of the National Minimum Wage and renaming it the Living Wage, when in truth it is no such thing. But a simple play on words has a good psychological effect on some people.

Many of Osborne's Budget's end up getting picked apart in the following days.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In your case I suspect it would be if it was from a Labour chancellor
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's okay announcing a £9.00 pay rise and saying it will make people better off by 2020 but what about the here and now, how will the low paid manage until then if in-work benefits for families with more than two children are cut now ?