Mother of eight Marie Buchan 'The benefits cap will make me homeless':

willow32willow32 Posts: 660
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/mum-of-eight-marie-buchan-fears-being-9615553

From the article: Single mum-of-eight Marie Buchan – who rakes in £26,000-a-year in benefits – fears she will lose her home under the £20,000 welfare cap revealed in the Budget.

I remember seeing her on the television at Christmas time in a supermarket pointing at all the toys her children had already. Then going on to buy even more.

Comments

• JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Can't say I've heard of her, but from the thread title she appears to be the one giving benefit claimants a bad name.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how much child maintenance she gets from the father/fathers? That's something that really needs to be clamped down on. I've read that billions are owed in child maintenance payments. That would surely help to reduce the benefits bill.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    Can't say I've heard of her, but from the thread title she appears to be the one giving benefit claimants a bad name.

Indeed. Very few have that amount of children, in reality, but you would think it the norm the way some of the press bang on about it.
  • HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps she should've invested in a different cap, or simply just kept her legs together.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I wonder how much child maintenance she gets from the father/fathers? That's something that really needs to be clamped down on. I've read that billions are owed in child maintenance payments. That would surely help to reduce the benefits bill.
    Didn't they try that with some agency they created, I think it cost heaps and was a waste of time.
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps she should've invested in a different cap, or simply just kept her legs together.

Indeed, while she was having these 8 children how on earth did she think she was going to pay for them.

I will save my sympathy for those that actually deserve it
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did not know child benefit was means-tested.
    I suggest the Cork.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i'm sure it's loads. my mum and her grand parents paid for everything for us.

i'm 26 now but my dad owed lots in child maintenance payments from the age of 10 for my 2 siblingsand i, the government stopped trying to get him to pay when he fled to America.

when i met him last year for the first time in 15 years, he said he never paid because he didn't believe he should have to pay anything towards our up bringing as being a dad should be enough he said. he also said something about fathers 4 justice. we really struggled even on child benefit.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm sure it's loads. my mum and her grand parents paid for everything for us.

i'm 26 now but my dad owed lots in child maintenance payments from the age of 10 for my 2 siblingsand i, the government stopped trying to get him to pay when he fled to America.

when i met him last year for the first time in 15 years, he said he never paid because he didn't believe he should have to pay anything towards our up bringing as being a dad should be enough he said. he also said something about fathers 4 justice. we really struggled even on child benefit.

He seems to have a strange definition of being a dad.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBH that does not sound like alot for 8 kids, obviously the big ticket item is housing benefit, which is not spending money for her, so im not really shocked by this.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is it really so hard to just say that maybe she should have stopped having children? Why do people have to go with the delightful "kept her legs shut/together" line?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He seems to have a strange definition of being a dad.

a lot of deadbeat dads have this mentality it's quite scary. he said paying child support would be giving my mother what she wants and that the money was his and he didn't want his children getting greedy from it. the way my therapist put it was he thought this way because it is another way for him to exert control over my mother and us. he wasn't a model husband put it that way, if that gives you any idea of the atmosphere in the house when they were together.
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    TBH that does not sound like alot for 8 kids, obviously the big ticket item is housing benefit, which is not spending money for her, so im not really shocked by this.

she clearly isnt spending her housing benefit or benefits in general on rent if she is behind tho?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Is it really so hard to just say that maybe she should have stopped having children? Why do people have to go with the delightful "kept her legs shut/together" line?

the men have some role in this 2 to tango as they say, if they didnt want children wrap it up!
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "raked in"... stopped reading there, just another trashy tabloid article trying to manufacture outrage about benefits.
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    Indeed, while she was having these 8 children how on earth did she think she was going to pay for them.

I will save my sympathy for those that actually deserve it

Like her children? They didn't ask to be born to feckless parents.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But that would means she would be taking some responsibility and she wouldn't be relying on other people to fund her reckless lifestyle.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Extreme examples that are exceptional and rare in their extent to which the person milks the system are unlikely to lead to balanced policy and informed debate.
    The reason this woman creates a good sensationalist headline is because mothers of 8 living on benefits are so uncommon.

Indeed DWP statistics will back up the statement that parents with 8 children on benefits are indeed rare and exceptional.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Namira wrote: »

It's the kids I feel sorry for but it's the mothers fault.
  • HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She certainly likes having kids. She needs to stop having children and then she won't be putting a financial strain on her family. She'll be part of a very small minority that are like this, despite what the tabloids say.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Namira wrote: »

Indeed. I hope they don't follow their parent's path in life.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, who's going to mention the huge elephant in the room?

No wonder she can't make ends meet if she has to feed a huge elephant.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    Didn't they try that with some agency they created, I think it cost heaps and was a waste of time.

There's a magical bright and shiny new one now.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fairness-for-families-children-and-taxpayers-as-new-child-maintenance-system-is-launched

Watch this space. Couldn't organise a p*** up in a brewery springs to mind.