Options

League One thread 2015/16 season

familyguy8904familyguy8904 Posts: 2,597
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If the already thread for this division please closed this one.

I will like to welcome Burton to this division which it be first time they played in third tier of football, welcome back to Blackpool, Wigan, Millwall, Shrewsbury, Southend and Bury who looking forward to trip to JD Stadium on 29th August.

Who do people think will go up and will finish in bottom 4 this season? I think Bury and Scunthorpe will be dark horse this season and possible finishes in top 10, it be interesting to see how Blackpool get on given people tipping them to finishes in bottom 4 but I think they may finish in mid table.

Will this be season Oldham finally come out of this division since 1997? Probably not and I do think we may struggle this season but hope I'm wrong.

Comments

• Options
    blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how Sheffield United will do tbh, we seem to be top heavy on strikers yet need another CB. We will be more attacking this season after getting rid of negative Nigel Clough and bringing in Nigel Adkins. Got a new 4G pitch so god knows how we'll cope with that, we'll be there or there abouts.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea who will go down, but surely Crewe and Colchester won't last much longer?! Sheff Utd will finally go up, and I think Wigan and Millwall will bounce straight back up
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    never been so excited for a season. cov have a genuine class manager in mowbray and i am liking his transfer dealings so far.

i expect us to score more goals than ever before and i hoping to win the league! top 6 minimum
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm astounded Sheffield United are still down here, but with Adkins they're my tip to top the division. I'm horrendous at predictions mind you, so I might have jinxed them.

I don't think we're ready for Wigan yet, it's come round too fast!
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we cant score goals and mowbray still wants 4 loans in!

gonna win the league!
  • Options
    Gareth1984Gareth1984 Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    We still need a centre half and a goalkeeper (both of which are expected to be sorted in the next few days) but I expect that we will have a strong side this season. I am particular excited about the signing of Paul Anderson who should be excellent at this level.

I think we have a great chance of making the playoffs this season however I'm not sure we're quite good enough to challenge for automatic promotion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With five days to go until football season start I thought I do my predicted on who will finish in top 6 and bottom 4.

1st Sheff Utd
    2nd Millwall

Play off in no order
    Bradford
    Peterborough
    Scunthorpe
    Wigan

I do think this be season Sheff Utd will finally get they promotion (knowing I thought they go up last two season) I can't see Wigan finishing in top 2 spot and feel they may take them couple of season to return back to Championship, as I mention before I feel Scunthorpe could be dark horse this season and maybe finishes in top 6 but probably not enough to go up via play offs as I probably tip Bradford or Peterborough to go up from one of them four teams.

Bottom 4 in no order
    Colchester
    Crewe
    Port Vale
    Shrewsbury

I don't think Blackpool will get relegation knowing people are tipping them to go down, I feel Shrewsbury will only stay in this division for one season and return back to League two and I think Port Vale may struggle this season and get relegated to League two.

As for Oldham I think they finish in 18/19th place and maybe beat Coventry on last day of season to avoid going down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gareth1984 wrote: »
    We still need a centre half and a goalkeeper (both of which are expected to be sorted in the next few days) but I expect that we will have a strong side this season. I am particular excited about the signing of Paul Anderson who should be excellent at this level.

I think we have a great chance of making the playoffs this season however I'm not sure we're quite good enough to challenge for automatic promotion.
    With five days to go until football season start I thought I do my predicted on who will finish in top 6 and bottom 4.

1st Sheff Utd
    2nd Millwall

Play off in no order
    Bradford
    Peterborough
    Scunthorpe
    Wigan

I do think this be season Sheff Utd will finally get they promotion (knowing I thought they go up last two season) I can't see Wigan finishing in top 2 spot and feel they may take them couple of season to return back to Championship, as I mention before I feel Scunthorpe could be dark horse this season and maybe finishes in top 6 but probably not enough to go up via play offs as I probably tip Bradford or Peterborough to go up from one of them four teams.

Bottom 4 in no order
    Colchester
    Crewe
    Port Vale
    Shrewsbury

I don't think Blackpool will get relegation knowing people are tipping them to go down, I feel Shrewsbury will only stay in this division for one season and return back to League two and I think Port Vale may struggle this season and get relegated to League two.

As for Oldham I think they finish in 18/19th place and maybe beat Coventry on last day of season to avoid going down.

I think Bradford will be very strong this year. Four Four Two think you'll finish 2nd

As I said, surely Colchester and Crewe will finally go down
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't this thread be titled "The Extremely Northern League One 2015-16 Thread"?:D

There are only seven clubs in this division this season which are located south of Birmingham and Swindon Town's nearest fixtures this season are at Coventry and Millwall; both grounds over 80 miles away from Swindon, yet geographically, it's not a remote place in comparison to other clubs in the Football League!:o
  • Options
    BrewersBrewers Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I'm still pinching myself the we're in the Football League let alone League 1!!

Can remember watching us in the Beazer Homes Premier division not so long back.

Don't think we'll go down. We'll be pretty competitive I think (hope!) but a nice mid table position will do me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    I think Bradford will be very strong this year. Four Four Two think you'll finish 2nd

As I said, surely Colchester and Crewe will finally go down

I see they predicted Gillingham to finish in 7th place :o I will probably say mid table unless Gills have sign some good players for upcoming season?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see they predicted Gillingham to finish in 7th place :o I will probably say mid table unless Gills have sign some good players for upcoming season?

Gillingham looked very strong at the end of last season when they relegated us :(
  • Options
    Sam_Williams1Sam_Williams1 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Really looking forward to this coming season, i feel we have a very talented young manager in Lee Johnson who i believe will be managing at the top in years to come.
    Despite us being one or two players short, i think we have a pretty strong squad, plenty of service with Hourihane in the centre of the park, and young Dan Crowley on loan from Arsenal looks the business. Looking short up front, but in Sam Winnall i believe we have one of the best strikers in the league, should he stay fit.
    Making the trip to the proact stadium tomorrow, really fancy our chances against a weakened Chesterfield side.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ I probably agree with you about lee Johnson, I dislike him the way he left us for Barnsley back in Feb but he probably do well at Barnsley this season and maybe outside chance of finishing in play offs.

As for Oldham they start the season at Walsall tomorrow (funny a enough Oldham last away match last season was at Walsall) I don't think we got anything from there and think it could take aleast five matches for our first win of season (hopefully I'm wrong)

Predicted: Walsall 2-0 Oldham
  • Options
    Sam_Williams1Sam_Williams1 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    ^^ I probably agree with you about lee Johnson, I dislike him the way he left us for Barnsley back in Feb but he probably do well at Barnsley this season and maybe outside chance of finishing in play offs.

As for Oldham they start the season at Walsall tomorrow (funny a enough Oldham last away match last season was at Walsall) I don't think we got anything from there and think it could take aleast five matches for our first win of season (hopefully I'm wrong)

Predicted: Walsall 2-0 Oldham

Unfortunately for Oldham i think it will be a long hard season of struggle and strife. Either way i wish you well. Surprised we haven't signed Liam Kelly yet, although i am glad Forte failed his medical, terrible player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately for Oldham i think it will be a long hard season of struggle and strife. Either way i wish you well. Surprised we haven't signed Liam Kelly yet, although i am glad Forte failed his medical, terrible player.

I don't see Oldham doing well either but hope you're wrong, you seem to have collapsed since Johnson left

Chesterfield will struggle. Not just because of Dean Saunders who always relegates teams but key players such as Roberts, Ryan, Clucas and Darikwa have all left
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always say that pre-season results don't matter, but mainly to convince myself it'll be ok. Today it really, really was.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1st Sheff Utd
    2nd Millwall
    Play off in no order
    Bradford
    Peterborough
    Scunthorpe
    Wigan
    I think you might have the wrong end of the table there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm surprise Kelly haven't sign for you team but he is one of best players so hoping he still is Latics player come 2nd September.

no surprise that Forte failed his medical given he only played one game of week for us last season, he not terrible player special he was our top scorer last season with 15 goals knowing 12/13 of them came in first half of season.

As for today Oldham draw 1-1 to Walsall which sound like fair results, Forte come off bench and scored our equaliser goal, hopefully he scored more goals this season.

I see Doncaster allow Bury to equaliser after ball were meant to be pass back to Bury goalkeeper but ended up in net.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33744346

Surprise to see Sheff Utd lost 4-0 to Gillingham :o and Blackpool winless away run (from last season) continued after they draw 2-2 to Colchester.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doncaster Bury was a bit surreal. They rang Paul Dickov on 606 to ask about the incident

How did Sheff Utd lose 4-0?!
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Message to Sheffield United fans; don't fret!

On the opening day of the League One 2009-10 season, Gillingham beat Swindon 5-0 at Priestfield. Gillingham were relegated at the end of that season, while Swindon made the play-off final.

Also on the same day, Norwich - who were one of the pre-season favourites for the title - lost 7-1 at home to Colchester. They promptly sacked their manager Bryan Gunn and replaced him with Paul Lambert, who was the manager of the said Colchester team. The end result? They won the L1 title at a hack canter.

So all is not lost for Sheffield United - plus Bradford, Peterborough and all other clubs who lost their opening fixture - fans; only another 45 games to go!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Message to Sheffield United fans; don't fret!

On the opening day of the League One 2009-10 season, Gillingham beat Swindon 5-0 at Priestfield. Gillingham were relegated at the end of that season, while Swindon made the play-off final.

Also on the same day, Norwich - who were one of the pre-season favourites for the title - lost 7-1 at home to Colchester. They promptly sacked their manager Bryan Gunn and replaced him with Paul Lambert, who was the manager of the said Colchester team. The end result? They won the L1 title at a hack canter.

So all is not lost for Sheffield United - plus Bradford, Peterborough and all other clubs who lost their opening fixture - fans; only another 45 games to go!

But Norwich would still most likely have struggled in League One sticking with Bryan Gunn and not replacing him with Paul Lambert so soon. But Norwich got Paul Lambert and look how they've done since! He wouldn't have taken Colchester to the Prem
  • Options
    blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gillingham 4 - 0 Sheffield United.

I never expect us (Sheffield United) to win every game, I respect the other teams but that was a bloody disgrace. Zero passion, no fight and no muscle. We were outfought and Gillingham wanted it more. Ok, we did have a make-shift back four and for some reason our #1 keeper from last season/pre season didn't get the nod but I expected something from us.

Maybe this was the tonking we needed, we went through pre season undefeated and Adkins has to bring in another CB. We needed one since losing Harry Maguire at the start of last season to Hull City and never replaced him.

Hartlepool (I think) tomorrow in the Cup but I'm looking forward to our first derby of the season against Chesterfield next Saturday.
  • Options
    blancoelectra97blancoelectra97 Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    Gillingham 4 - 0 Sheffield United.

I never expect us (Sheffield United) to win every game, I respect the other teams but that was a bloody disgrace. Zero passion, no fight and no muscle. We were outfought and Gillingham wanted it more. Ok, we did have a make-shift back four and for some reason our #1 keeper from last season/pre season didn't get the nod but I expected something from us.

Maybe this was the tonking we needed, we went through pre season undefeated and Adkins has to bring in another CB. We needed one since losing Harry Maguire at the start of last season to Hull City and never replaced him.

Hartlepool (I think) tomorrow in the Cup but I'm looking forward to our first derby of the season against Chesterfield next Saturday.
    Anyone see thst idiot Clem on the BBC final score? He never even metioned Swindon winning 4-1 and kept doing the eye closing thing when talking.Self obsessed tart.Waste of money folks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you a Swindon fan?