Silent Hill HD Collection (is it really bad?)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Think my mum has bought this for me. Just heard from some people that its really bad. Can anyone say what they liked/ disliked about it?. Im on PS3 by the way

Comments

• biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    I have it and tried a bit of it still mainly busy with downpour though.

IMO I thinks its definatly playable expect some slight sync issues in the 3rd and minor slowdown im talking really really minor once you get into it im sure youll forget all about it though I think.

All this "game is broken" stuff thats been trown around on alot of sites is blown out of hand IMO
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    Having watched a few of Dark Side Phil's playthrough it looks perfectly fine to me.

Regards

Mark
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    A big part of these games is the atmosphere, so the graphics things like lighting and sound mixing is important, and sadly, these were botched up in the HD versions, fog effects have been reduced too much making the farclipping issues visible (means you can see the end of the game worlds/sets) which were originally hidden by the fog, lighting has been made inconsistent and the darker contrasts in many of Silent Hill 3's areas are now on the same brightness level (meaning areas appear brighter than they should), etc.

The gameplay hasn't been changed, so the game is completely playable, but it comes off looking and sounding WORSE than the PS2 originals, many people would advise to pick up a used PS2 copy instead if you want to replay these games.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,386
    Forum Member
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    A big part of these games is the atmosphere, so the graphics things like lighting and sound mixing is important, and sadly, these were botched up in the HD versions, fog effects have been reduced too much making the farclipping issues visible (means you can see the end of the game worlds/sets) which were originally hidden by the fog, lighting has been made inconsistent and the darker contrasts in many of Silent Hill 3's areas are now on the same brightness level (meaning areas appear brighter than they should), etc.

The gameplay hasn't been changed, so the game is completely playable, but it comes off looking and sounding WORSE than the PS2 originals, many people would advise to pick up a used PS2 copy instead if you want to replay these games.
    Pretty much my thoughts having played it at a friends over the weekend.

It looks good & plays the same as the originals, However some of the visual updates take away the atmosphere that made the originals as good as they were.

As you say the fog effects have been reduced & this makes it far easier to see some enemies coming up ahead of you (Which gives you more opportunity to avoid them) so your no longer suddenly surprised by something popping up out of the fog right infront of you & this takes away from the experience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much my thoughts having played it at a friends over the weekend.

It looks good & plays the same as the originals, However some of the visual updates take away the atmosphere that made the originals as good as they were.

As you say the fog effects have been reduced & this makes it far easier to see some enemies coming up ahead of you (Which gives you more opportunity to avoid them) so your no longer suddenly surprised by something popping up out of the fog right infront of you & this takes away from the experience.
    Ahh thanks. To be honest that does not bother me too much, as I would say im not exactly a fan. (I have brief memories of playing Silent Hill 1 on the PS1 but I was a bit too young to fully appriciate it)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought this today, gave up on Resident Evil 6 and needed a proper survival horror fix and I'm really filling my boots with Silent Hill 2&3 - so to speak.

I never played the PS2 versions so any differences are wasted on me, apart from some occasional slow down the games look terrific, I'm enjoying these 2 games very much.
  • dannyb2k9dannyb2k9 Posts: 1,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its a brill game on xbox 360 i heard the ps3 version was really buggy but i think they released a patch for that so should be a good game for you
    Forum Member
    Since my post the PS3 version of the game has been fixed up MORE than the Xbox 360 version (They cancelled the patch for the Xbox 360, no reason was given) so whilst still not as complete as the original PS2 versions, the PS3 version is now more closer than the Xbox 360 version.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dannyb2k9 wrote: »
    its a brill game on xbox 360 i heard the ps3 version was really buggy but i think they released a patch for that so should be a good game for you

I thought it was the 360 version that was worse

i remember they offered to exchange the 360 version for another game if you had proof of purchase on the konami facebook, never seen a deal for the PS3 version

Though all accounts both version where shit it was just the 360 one was worse
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »

i remember they offered to exchange the 360 version for another game if you had proof of purchase on the konami facebook, never seen a deal for the PS3 version

That was after they canceled all support and a patch for the Xbox 360 version and decided to only support the PS3 version. They offered Xbox 360 users with Proof of Purchase the choice to swap it for another game and a straight exchange for the PS3 version.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    It's kinda the opposite situation with the ZOE HD Collection where the PS3 version is pretty bad in comparison to the 360 game. Not sure why Konami can't just get these older titles running with parity.
    thomas2400 wrote: »

Pre-patch the 360 version suffered less issues than the PS3 game and also featured more fog so in truth it was the PS3 game that needed more work. The good news is the best game on the collection (SH2) is an adequate conversion. Though the PS3 version is the better choice at this point for all three games.
    Forum Member
    It's kinda the opposite situation with the ZOE HD Collection where the PS3 version is pretty bad in comparison to the 360 game. Not sure why Konami can't just get these older titles running with parity.

It's because they just handed them off to any old studio, the ONLY game they've done an In-House HD remaster for is Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, which is actually one of the very few HD Remasters that runs in full 1080p and 60fps.

MGS2 and 3 were handed off to Bluepint for the PS3 and Xbox 360, whilst Armature Studio then took that port and ported it to the Vita!

Hijinx Studios handled Silent Hill, but were apparently handed pre-final code for the games. Konami In-House were the ones to do the patch to try and salvage the best they can.

High Voltage Software were the ones to do the ZOE HD Collection.

It's a weird business practice, normally you select a studio and then add additional projects once the initial was a success but here, it seems a little clear that Konami just wanted to get these games out ASAP and just threw them to any studio they could contract at the time. Two of them don't even have a good track record!
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    The only truly decent HD collection is the MGS one which is pretty incredible truth be told with well over 2x frame rate of the original MGS 3 and 3x for Peace Walker and extra visual effects/control refinement on top. It's a stunning package and puts pretty much all HD collections to shame.

I can understand why ZOE chugs on both consoles as it looks gorgeous in HD (at least Second Runner does) and has an insane amount of particle effects. Silent Hill HD Collection is just lazy by comparison, very sloppy work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm having a great time playing it, rather play this with its dodgy graphics and occasional slowdown than that mess called RE6. Modern gaming is losing its way imo, maybe I'm just getting old, its obviously what gamers are wanting or the game makers wouldn't be churning it out. Sorry off topic.

Stuck in the subway on silent hill 3 at the moment, been everywhere (I think) but I'm not seeing the way forward yet.
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    CSI-uk wrote: »
    Well I'm having a great time playing it, rather play this with its dodgy graphics and occasional slowdown than that mess called RE6. Modern gaming is losing its way imo, maybe I'm just getting old, its obviously what gamers are wanting or the game makers wouldn't be churning it out. Sorry off topic.

Stuck in the subway on silent hill 3 at the moment, been everywhere (I think) but I'm not seeing the way forward yet.

I can appreciate the old games they are great and I love them to bits but they had there time and what worked back then is just not gonna work for the masses nowadays If resident evil brought out a game in the style of the older games today the franchise would have been done and dusted before this gen began I reckon.

RE4 gave that franchise a new lease of life and survival horror as a genre IMO

6 did have problems that could have been smoothed out before release but I found it a solid fun enjoyable game.
    The story in 6 was totally bonkers just like it has been since 3.

RE could do with toning down the action for future games and bringing back the dark environments but RE was never truly frighting IMO only the first one was its easy to look back at the PS1 games as really scary but I think that was down to us being younger and it was the first of its kind.

Silent hill downpour was a return to form for the series IMO that was not perfect either but it was a step in the right direction you could explore it was not so straight forward like most survival horror nowadays.

Its tricky these days make the game as exploration/figure it out yourself horror and it will probably not sell well make it to action packed then the horror is reduced

The Dead Space Series is the only one that has nailed the right combo for me anyways but even dead space 3 is looking like its stepping away now some enemies will have guns:rolleyes:
    and now it has co-op but theirs some hope unlike RE you can turn this off at will so I cant write it off yet