The Who

Comments

• RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    I think you are quoting John Lennon there. H said that as a deflective quip.to some stupid journalist who asked the Beatles if Ringo was the best drummer in the world. He wasn't being that serious.

...he did join in with Keith offstage though ;)
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is my fave Who vid. It shows the power of Keith and was the best part of the Rock N Roll Circus. They were better than the Stones so it was not released for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6PgUcATPyc
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    I think you are quoting John Lennon there. H said that as a deflective quip.to some stupid journalist who asked the Beatles if Ringo was the best drummer in the world. He wasn't being that serious.

That quote has been repeated so many times over the years, and many have come to believe John was being serious.

Ringo is a very good drummer, and was the perfect fit for The Beatles, as Keith was for The Who.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just back from seeing The Who @ Glasgow S.E.C.C. on their Quadrophenia tour, What a show, Roger and Pete are pushing 70 and can still Rock, anyone else going to see these LEGENDS on this tour? If you are- Enjoy, its amazing.
    Just what did you do to have to experience such torture ? After all, they were comparable with the Spice Girls of their day, weren't they ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DariaM wrote: »
    Just what did you do to have to experience such torture ? After all, they were comparable with the Spice Girls of their day, weren't they ?

As a nonsensical wind up, this is one of the poorest efforts I've seen.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DariaM wrote: »

gotta be one of the most ridiculous things ive ever seen posted on here...
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone at the weekend London gigs then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got my tickets out for tonights show. Cant wait. :)
  • widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone at the weekend London gigs then?

Saw them at The O2 on Saturday. I was blown away at how alive and emotional Quadrophenia sounded. The set was wonderfully designed, the music was clear and both Daltrey and Townshend were on top form. You can't beat listening to The Punk and the Godfather or Love Reign O'er Me live as the music just washes over you!

The did a "SingalongaWho" at the end with Baba O'Reilly, Pinball Wizard, You Better You Bet and Won't Get Fooled Again.

One of the best experiences of my entire life.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got my tickets out for tonights show. Cant wait. :)

Have a great evening. Report back
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    widger wrote: »
    Saw them at The O2 on Saturday. I was blown away at how alive and emotional Quadrophenia sounded. The set was wonderfully designed, the music was clear and both Daltrey and Townshend were on top form. You can't beat listening to The Punk and the Godfather or Love Reign O'er Me live as the music just washes over you!

The did a "SingalongaWho" at the end with Baba O'Reilly, Pinball Wizard, You Better You Bet and Won't Get Fooled Again.

One of the best experiences of my entire life.:D

Was the same in Glasgow mate, the stage show screens were terrific, my dad had tears in his peepers. Me too. Stunning stuff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, wow, and wow again. :D

They were sensational last night. Quadrophenia worked to perfection, with a brilliant set, and wonderful picture/film show to support it. Roger and Pete really seemed to enjoy themselves, and were on top form, as was the brilliant band with them. We even got snippets from Keith Moon and The Ox via film. Great stuff.

The hits section was Who Are You, Behind Blue Eyes, Pinball Wizard, Baba O Riley and Wont Get Fooled Again, with a great scream from Roger.

Pete and Roger finished things off alone with the now traditional Tea & Theatre.

They got a great reception, which was fully deserved. Nearly two and a quarter hours of top quality rock.

And they were loud, as The Who should be.:D

I've heard people say over the years that they are past it, Rogers voice has gone etc, but I've seen them live since the 70's, and I enjoyed this show as much as any, if not more so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, wow, and wow again. :D

They were sensational last night. Quadrophenia worked to perfection, with a brilliant set, and wonderful picture/film show to support it. Roger and Pete really seemed to enjoy themselves, and were on top form, as was the brilliant band with them. We even got snippets from Keith Moon and The Ox via film. Great stuff.

The hits section was Who Are You, Behind Blue Eyes, Pinball Wizard, Baba O Riley and Wont Get Fooled Again, with a great scream from Roger.

Pete and Roger finished things off alone with the now traditional Tea & Theatre.

They got a great reception, which was fully deserved. Nearly two and a quarter hours of top quality rock.

And they were loud, as The Who should be.:D

I've heard people say over the years that they are past it, Rogers voice has gone etc, but I've seen them live since the 70's, and I enjoyed this show as much as any, if not more so.

Glad to hear it DP, the clips of the Ox and Moony on the screens interacting on 5.15 and Bellboy were excellent, emotional stuff.
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Just got out of the Newcastle gig. It's hard to put in to words how good they actually are so I'll just echo what others have said; the poignancy they managed to get from simple images of Moon and Entwhistle was astonishing, Townsend still just has IT - there can't be many better guitarists than he on the planet right now - and Daltrey in tremendous voice throughout.

Just stunning stuff. I envy anyone who's going in the next week or so. Oh, and the little piece of theatre - I won't spoil it for anyone who's yet to see it - between Rodger and Keith was wonderful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad you enjoyed it too. I wish I could see this show again, because it really is something special.

I've seen Blondie and The Who this year, and I've got tickets for Roger Waters, and Black Sabbath, so it's not been a bad old year for vintage rock.

The first two have been top notch, and hopefully the nest two will be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard a rumour, its only a rumour, that The Who plan to keep playing/touring. So fingers crossed for next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heard a rumour, its only a rumour, that The Who plan to keep playing/touring. So fingers crossed for next year.

Roger Waters has kept adding Wall shows after the first tour, so maybe The Who will too.

For both, where do they go, at their ages, to top these shows?

The obvious thing is to carry on doing it for as long as they can.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Really excited for this. Will be going on friday to Birmingham NEC. Is there a support act?

Next weekend is going to be great, with Glastonbury on the TV as well. I probably wont go to bed on friday night, just be coming down from The Who, watching Glasto all night. Might have to pop in the Quadrophenia Dvd or Tommy!:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stuartjk wrote: »
    Really excited for this. Will be going on friday to Birmingham NEC. Is there a support act?

Next weekend is going to be great, with Glastonbury on the TV as well. I probably wont go to bed on friday night, just be coming down from The Who, watching Glasto all night. Might have to pop in the Quadrophenia Dvd or Tommy!:cool:

The support act is Vintage Trouble, a soul/rock band with a singer with a bit of James Brown about him. Very entertaining.

I wish I was going again.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

The support act is Vintage Trouble, a soul/rock band with a singer with a bit of James Brown about him. Very entertaining.

I wish I was going again.
    Vintage Trouble on Letterman lat year :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2kVi6NniMc
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    Vintage Trouble on Letterman lat year :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2kVi6NniMc

Thanks for that, they look great. I always feel sorry for the support acts, having to do there stuff while the audience are taking there seats, not really listening, flicking through the programme and chatting. I went to see Eric Clapton at the NEC a few weeks ago and the support was Gary Clark jnr, who did not look like he was enjoying himself, appeared to storm off as soon as his last song finished! What I heard of him though sounded pretty good however.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that, they look great. I always feel sorry for the support acts, having to do there stuff while the audience are taking there seats, not really listening, flicking through the programme and chatting. I went to see Eric Clapton at the NEC a few weeks ago and the support was Gary Clark jnr, who did not look like he was enjoying himself, appeared to storm off as soon as his last song finished! What I heard of him though sounded pretty good however.

This lot certainly look as if they enjoy themselves, and they soon won round the audience, and ended up with a rousing reaction at the end.

They make sure the audience notice them, that's for sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roger Waters has kept adding Wall shows after the first tour, so maybe The Who will too.

For both, where do they go, at their ages, to top these shows?

The obvious thing is to carry on doing it for as long as they can.

For me, if it was up to Daltrey, he'd be touring/playing non-stop, the guys like a human dynamo. Pete on the other hand can be a bit stubborn. His hearing is not great either, far as i know some serious technology was used so Pete could "hear" the chords/music on stage. Daltrey told the audience during his Tommy tour a couple of years ago, they were investigating solutions for Pete to tour with The Who again. Looks like they found a great solution for Quadrophenia :):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, if it was up to Daltrey, he'd be touring/playing non-stop, the guys like a human dynamo. Pete on the other hand can be a bit stubborn. His hearing is not great either, far as i know some serious technology was used so Pete could "hear" the chords/music on stage. Daltrey told the audience during his Tommy tour a couple of years ago, they were investigating solutions for Pete to tour with The Who again. Looks like they found a great solution for Quadrophenia :):):)

I read something recently whereby Pete said his deafness issues weren't a problem now, so they must have come up with something. They were certainly louder than the last couple of times I saw them too, and in the past I think they'd toned it down a touch to avoid further damage.

This show was more like The Who of old. :D

I agree that Roger would tour all the time. He's said he needs to keep his voice working, so he does go off on his own when Pete's not wanting to tour.
    Forum Member
    Went to see The Who last night at the NEC in Birmingham, and what can I say! Am still buzzing nearly 24 hours later. What a fantastic show. "Thanks for not going to Glastonbury" said Roger during the break, to which Pete replied that "You can always go tomorrow to see them Rolling Stones!!" Cue a round of loud boos from the Audience! What a great show and the atmosphere was great. Thanks guys, I hope you keep on touring as long as possible, maybe do "Tommy" next time?