Options

Amazon Fire Stick - still no bloody ITV or Channel 4!

I love the concept of this device, just plug in and have most streaming/catchup services available, I even have Cloud TV & Kodi on it.

But will it ever get ITV & All4? I found the apps but they are not supported by Amazon and don't work, surely this device needs all major catchup services on it.

Right now only
BBC IPlayer
STV Player
My 5 (Demand 5)

The ITV Hub demanded you input a postcode and the screen went a funny shape, All4 got stuck on the accept cookies screen

I installed TVPlayer which is useful for live channels on a remote TV, but now they don't load and it's prompting an update to the app but there's nothing on Fire Stick to make it happen, I would have to resort to using "AGK Fire" to push it on.

It gives a great picture but needs some sorting out, it doesn't have enough and too many damn things require the game controller for some reason. Surely it's going to annoy people if they buy this and can't get ITV Hub or All4, takes away quite a bit of it's usefulness, other devices such as the Youview box, PS3 & PS4 manage to have all catchup services fine, why is it so difficult for Amazon Fire Stick?

As an aside the first four episodes of "Better Call Saul" are available for 49p each in HD, that's some good news at least, I bought them since the Blu-Ray is expensive

If you have Amazon Fire Stick, you can use STV Player as a workaround and input a scottish postcode, that way you can still get Coronation Street or The Chase etc, but why haven't ITV sorted it yet!

Comments

• Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    It's not the Fire sticks fault it's the TV companies not supplying the Apps. ITV especially still don't seem to have caught onto the idea of "on demand" like the BBC have. I personally hate the catch up services from the other companies, can't stand watching adverts, that are forced on you. Would much rather have a little scrolling bar at the bottom of the picture every 25 mins or so with adverts rolling in them.
  • Options
    ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like something is wrong with your Stick.

Try updating to the latest software, as ITV Hub and All 4 are indeed available on the Fire TV Stick, and all Fire TV devices for that matter - at least since the Fire OS 5.0.5 update in early March.

Further, don't try to install the apps from their website, do so from the stick itself. If you have the latest OS, it should be on the stick.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ovbg wrote: »
    Sounds like something is wrong with your Stick.

Try updating to the latest software, as ITV Hub and All 4 are indeed available on the Fire TV Stick, and all Fire TV devices for that matter - at least since the Fire OS 5.0.5 update in early March.

Further, don't try to install the apps from their website, do so from the stick itself. If you have the latest OS, it should be on the stick.
    That's why I was confused?:confused: I don't have the fire stick but I have the fire TV and ITV Hub and All 4 have been available for some time.
  • Options
    Jimmy_BarnesJimmy_Barnes Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the concept of this device, just plug in and have most streaming/catchup services available, I even have Cloud TV & Kodi on it.

But will it ever get ITV & All4? I found the apps but they are not supported by Amazon and don't work, surely this device needs all major catchup services on it.

Right now only
    BBC IPlayer
    STV Player
    My 5 (Demand 5)

The ITV Hub demanded you input a postcode and the screen went a funny shape, All4 got stuck on the accept cookies screen

I installed TVPlayer which is useful for live channels on a remote TV, but now they don't load and it's prompting an update to the app but there's nothing on Fire Stick to make it happen, I would have to resort to using "AGK Fire" to push it on.

It gives a great picture but needs some sorting out, it doesn't have enough and too many damn things require the game controller for some reason. Surely it's going to annoy people if they buy this and can't get ITV Hub or All4, takes away quite a bit of it's usefulness, other devices such as the Youview box, PS3 & PS4 manage to have all catchup services fine, why is it so difficult for Amazon Fire Stick?

As an aside the first four episodes of "Better Call Saul" are available for 49p each in HD, that's some good news at least, I bought them since the Blu-Ray is expensive

If you have Amazon Fire Stick, you can use STV Player as a workaround and input a scottish postcode, that way you can still get Coronation Street or The Chase etc, but why haven't ITV sorted it yet!

You're not a Netflix subscriber, then?

Far as I can tell the missing catchup apps you mentioned are available on AFS with the latest OS update. I've not installed any of them, or Netflix, myself as I access them on different devices. I primarily bought a Fire Stick so I had backup apps of Amazon Video and WWE Network, as they have frequently been victims of Sonys server problems on the Blu Ray player I normally watch them on.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    You're not a Netflix subscriber, then?

Far as I can tell the missing catchup apps you mentioned are available on AFS with the latest OS update. I've not installed any of them, or Netflix, myself as I access them on different devices. I primarily bought a Fire Stick so I had backup apps of Amazon Video and WWE Network, as they have frequently been victims of Sonys server problems on the Blu Ray player I normally watch them on.

I am a Netflix subscriber but I added them to my Amazon collection anyway, I also have downloaded them from torrents. Thing with Netflix is things can get taken off, though I doubt Better Call Saul will ever as it's original to Netflix, but maybe even Breaking Bad will eventually.

The good news is that the ITV Hub & All4 apps have now become available to download officially, and they work and so that now completes the Amazon Fire Stick as a full UK TV catch up device, the workaround was STV Player for ITV and nothing for 4. 2 weeks ago I'm pretty sure they were not available offiicially for Fire Stick.

I want to base this in the bedroom so ideally needed to have a full catchup lineup available, was a pretty big drawback to not have ITV or Channel 4 available for so long but luckily now sorted and with this being a 1080p device it's very good.
  • Options
    ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Thing with Netflix is things can get taken off, though I doubt Better Call Saul will ever as it's original to Netflix,

It is original to AMC!