Why do Syrian Hamsters fight?

wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
Forum Member
✭✭
I has a couple of Syrian hamsters but after a while one fought and killed the other one.

That happened even after they were separated and only allowed to meet when their cages needed cleaned.

They are very viscious animals.

Comments

• ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's because they are solitary and territorial little creatures. We had two roborovskis which we kept together since birth and then got up one morning to find that one had eaten the other. There was just a head and a couple of legs left!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Urgh urgh urgh!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh nooo, that's horrible!!!!
  • surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    I has a couple of Syrian hamsters but after a while one fought and killed the other one.

That happened even after they were separated and only allowed to meet when their cages needed cleaned.

They are very viscious animals.

Why din't you clean one cage out first and then put the hamster back in it before cleaning out the other cage. If the were fighting beforehand then it was bound to happen again when you put them together when cleaning their cages.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I know of keeping rodents, hamsters are solitary and like their own space and it is not good to keep them together, which is why I used to keep pet rats because they are sociable and require the company of each other (and like humans). When I cleaned their cage, I used to put them in rat balls (like the hamster balls but bigger) so they could run around safely.

Did you not think of doing something like that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had two who lived quite peacefully together, but they were brothers. I wonder if that makes a difference? They lasted for about three years and died within a week of each other.
  • Mimizuku no LewMimizuku no Lew Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ValLambert wrote: »
    I think it's because they are solitary and territorial little creatures. We had two roborovskis which we kept together since birth and then got up one morning to find that one had eaten the other. There was just a head and a couple of legs left!

Most likely the other one had died of natural causes. Rodents, being prey animals in the wild, sometimes eat dead cagemates as in the wild they'd attract predators.
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had two who lived quite peacefully together, but they were brothers. I wonder if that makes a difference? They lasted for about three years and died within a week of each other.

those won't have been Syrian hamsters, other species do live in social groupings
    Syrian hamsters are STRICTLY solitary animals.

they will fight another hamster to the death for resources and territory, they only come together to breed, usually, and even then it can end in a fight inflicting serious injuries.

it's just their way, it's the same as fish keeping, you wouldn't keep a single neon tetra, nor would you keep a group of male siamese fighters.
  • Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi! All
    Just to add to the conversation and I used to have a Syrian Hamster and in the information from Pets at Home that you get when purchasing a pet, it said not to keep two Syrian Hamsters together as others have said above they are solitary.
  • RosieRayRosieRay Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    When you buy any pet you should ensure that you know how to keep it. Anyone who has ever had a hamster should know that you NEVER keep syrians together EVER. This is a matter of individual responsibility.
    They are not vicious animals, they are just extremely territorial. Even in the wild they live alone. Next time you buy a pet, do some research. Sorry to be harsh, but keeping a pet is a responsibility and it is your fault that one died.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xdow wrote: »
    those won't have been Syrian hamsters, other species do live in social groupings
    Syrian hamsters are STRICTLY solitary animals.

they will fight another hamster to the death for resources and territory, they only come together to breed, usually, and even then it can end in a fight inflicting serious injuries.

it's just their way, it's the same as fish keeping, you wouldn't keep a single neon tetra, nor would you keep a group of male siamese fighters.

I just googled and you are right. My daughter bought them, I don't know much about them but I was left to care for them (as usual!). I have a hamster right now that she bought, he is on his own and is something of an escape artist. Very, very cute though and also very tame and friendly. Looking at the pics on google, i think he might be a Syrian wheras they were smaller than him and not half as cute!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's because they reach sexual maturity and their agression builds, even males and females can be aggressive to each other
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just googled and you are right. My daughter bought them, I don't know much about them but I was left to care for them (as usual!). I have a hamster right now that she bought, he is on his own and is something of an escape artist. Very, very cute though and also very tame and friendly. Looking at the pics on google, i think he might be a Syrian wheras they were smaller than him and not half as cute!

HeHe my hamster used to do that as well we had to wire the cage doors shut because he could open them:eek:. When we first got him he tried to knaw through the box his was in to get him home.:D
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are strictly solitary, how do they ever mate?

Can the males and females not live together?

How come they don't eat their babies?
  • RosieRayRosieRay Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    To mate them you can bring them together for a short period of time and then separate immediately. They look after their young and are okay together up to six weeks but then have to be separated as they mature and start mating. Many hamsters do eat their babies.
    There is so much ignorance about keeping a hamster...really, it's a pet not a toy.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RosieRay wrote: »
    To mate them you can bring them together for a short period of time and then separate immediately. They look after their young and are okay together up to six weeks but then have to be separated as they mature and start mating. Many hamsters do eat their babies.
    There is so much ignorance about keeping a hamster...really, it's a pet not a toy.

A lot of that implies human intervention though (deliberate mating, separating parents & children etc.)

How do they manage in the wild?
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    A lot of that implies human intervention though (deliberate mating, separating parents & children etc.)

How do they manage in the wild?

the male comes along, does his job and leaves the female to it.

she raises then sees the kids off when she's sick of them, they go find their own territories and live solitary lives.

as for finding a mate, female hamster will scent mark their surroundings by rubbing against them - this is why you can often see a female rubbing against her cage bars

and the male will come along and find her from the scent trails.
    if you put a female hamster out in a room and let her walk around, then place a male down, he will follow her tracks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    It's a dominance thing, I think.

I was shocked when I went to Pets at Home last week and saw many syrian hamsters in the same cages, climbing over each other.