Options

Do dogs have heads made out of concrete?

PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just clonked heads with my dog and it nearly knocked me unconscious but he's just running around like nothings happened. I swear I am seeing stars. I think animals are a bit more robust tahn us mere humans.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have known my dogs occasionally "clunk" hard and loudly into concrete posts with their heads, or run into fences, when not looking properly when chasing or anticipating a ball throw.

The noise has made me cringe, yelp on their behalf and worry for them :eek: but on each occassion the dog doesn't seem to have even registered it in the excitement and adreneline of the moment :eek:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've recently started taking an ill neighbour's boxer with us when we take Paul to the field.

One will run at the other at top speed and headbut him/her in the side. They're so funny together.

Paul's always hitting his head though.
  • Options
    michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My last dog was blind and much as we tried to make sure he didn't walk into things, sometimes he'd just move a bit too fast and headbutt various doors, lamposts and my Sisters leg. (we thought he'd broken it!) I think his poor head was pretty toughened to it all in the end because he used to just carry on like nothing had happened.
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    My previous dog was running about in the front grass area of a block of low rise flats. The grass areas were intersected by walkways, which had three foot high metal fences to separate them from the grass area, with fences on either side of the path. Anyway, my dog was running about and decided he wanted to jump the fence. He pelted towards the fence, jumped it, not realising that there was a second fence a some feet in front of the fence he was jumping... then came down straight into the fence on the other side of the path, whacking his head in the process. It made a right noise, much like a bong, but he just shook his head and then proceeded to jump the other fence as if nothing had happened. I do blame myself, because I was too late to appreciate what was going to happen... and by the time I realised the danger, he was in the process of jumping.

After that, he was called Rock Head as an alternative name.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogs have a much higher pain threshold than humans.
  • Options
    chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    My dog has given me many a nosebleeds by smacking me right in the face..

Nosebleeds, and when your eyes just go really stingy and watery and your nose has that horrible feeling when you go upside down in a swimming pool and you forget to hold your nose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    My dog (a springer spaniel which says it all:)) once ran around with a four inch strip of flesh hanging off his front leg and he still wanted to play with his tennis ball.

My husband had thrown the ball over a breakwater on the beach, not realising how high it was. Chester scrambled over and ripped his leg open with blood pouring from the wound.

He came bounding back with the ball with not a care in the world and was most disappointed when he was hoisted off to the vets instead of carrying on with the walk.
  • Options
    ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    rimlessuk wrote: »
    My dog (a springer spaniel which says it all:))

Yep I agree, mental as anything especially for stuff like a ball.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erlang wrote: »
    Yep I agree, mental as anything especially for stuff like a ball.

Yep. Second only to Staffies in the huge injury, will carry on playing stakes.

My Glen of Imaal is a bit of a wimp now, but took out my knee with his head when he was a youngster, ran into my parents toughened glass patio doors & bounced then did it again and jumped off a six foot retaining wall then ran off!!

Now he is 13 it's like he has the smallest twinge and he wants Metacam:rolleyes:

But Staffies!! I've known a Staffie break a man's knee cap into three pieces with his head without breaking stride! Run through a set of patio doors like they weren't there and jump off a huge sea wall like it was stepping off the bottom stair.

Yet I have seen Staffies shiver with cold on days that my most hairless Hairless Chinese Crested has gone out in barely a T-Shirt.
  • Options
    Non-EntityNon-Entity Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    My English Bull Terrier has a solid skull. She's clumsy and I've heard her head knock on lamp posts, iron gates, the lot. The roman nose she has is absolutely solid, I've seen her hit that loads of times.

She knocked my chin with her head about a month ago, I needed 6 stitches on my lip where my teeth went through!
  • Options
    Kittycat73Kittycat73 Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    I've just clonked heads with my dog and it nearly knocked me unconscious but he's just running around like nothings happened. I swear I am seeing stars. I think animals are a bit more robust tahn us mere humans.

PMSL! :D My mum and her large cat had a collision once she said almost knocked her out. She was just leaning out of her ground floor window when Billy decided to jump in it! LOl
    My dog has given me many a nosebleeds by smacking me right in the face..

Nosebleeds, and when your eyes just go really stingy and watery and your nose has that horrible feeling when you go upside down in a swimming pool and you forget to hold your nose.

OUUUUUCH. That sounds painfull.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    My Glen of Imaal is a bit of a wimp now, but took out my knee with his head when he was a youngster, ran into my parents toughened glass patio doors & bounced then did it again and jumped off a six foot retaining wall then ran off!!
    Yet I have seen Staffies shiver with cold on days that my most hairless Hairless Chinese Crested has gone out in barely a T-Shirt.

Our eldest (and biggest at 21Kgs) Glen took out my Mrs by running into her lower leg causing a bruise the length of her shin. He ws unphased. He also walked into a concrete post while on his lead, causing a huge "clunk" yet seemed not to have noticed. He regularly stair-surfs down into the bookcase at he bottom of the stairs and then looks bemused as we rush to see if he's ok - he always is.
    The smaller of our Glens(13kgs) gets regularly thumped to the ground by the big one, grabbed by the ears, headbutted across the garden, and yet goes back for more.

But .. if it's raining the big one wimps out of walks!
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    Picto wrote: »

My sons dog jumped up recently when i bent down to actually give the bugger a puppy treat and her head clonked right off my nose and the pain was tearfully bad.
    She didnt feel a thing but i was convinced she had broke my nose.
    She hadnt but i had to have a couple of glasses of vodka to calm me down......it was bl)(dy painful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And despite all the injuries they've caused us, don't we just love them:D!
  • Options
    rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once Danny was having a mad half an hour, running from the sitting room into the garden (with hubby also having a mad half an hour chasing him)...Then Danny ran upstairs, so OH sat down...assuming both had had enough I closed the patio doors as it was getting chilly......about 5 minutes later Danny came hurtling down the stairs and smashed straight into the patio doors :eek: He shook his head a bit and then turned around and ran back in the other direction :D