Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's on the BBC site too now.

Instead of whom?

Adams, Shearer or Beckham.

Can't see him having got the nod over those.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gotta get people talking about his book I guess.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    Gotta get people talking about his book I guess.

Yep. Throw in a random ridiculous personal opinion for column inches.

He also could have been the leader of the KKK if it hadn't have been for his skin colour
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still playing the race card i see. Maybe he needs to have a look in the mirror because right now he is looking like the racist. He seems to have a problem with white people getting picked over black people. He's moaning about the way black players are treated, moaning about there not being enough black coaches and now moaning about not being made England captain permanently when he was playing. I question anyone who plays the race card this often.
  • MenoetiusMenoetius Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    I question anyone who plays the race card this often.

He's thick. A moron. Simple as that.

But he thinks he's bright and that he has something to offer.
  • dreadnoughtdreadnought Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So according to Campbell, either Hoddle, Keegan and Eriksson were racists or they accepted without complaint an instruction from the FA not to make a black man captain. Either way, if I was one of them I would be furious with this cretin.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Sol Campbell is probably the most obvious England captain of the last 20 years - in theory at least. Maybe he is bitter and maybe he is being a bit silly but regardless i do think he is making a relevant point.

The only thing i would say is that i presume that the England manager decides who his captain is so is it just coincidence that all the managers he played for thought he was unsuitable?

I think its a worthwhile topic for discussion if for no other reason than to be able to rubbish his claims and vindicate the England set up.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who would pick him over becks or shearer? The owen comments are spot on, how he eber captained us il never know
    Forum Member
    Who would pick him over becks or shearer? The owen comments are spot on, how he eber captained us il never know

Neither Beckham or Shearer are natural team leaders.

Im a big fan of Beckham and i see why he was made captain but he isn't a leader. Sol Campbell has that vibe about him and even if you dismiss his reasoning as to why he was never captain i think most people would think "Hmmm….now that you come to mention it…….." and agree that its odd that he didn't lead England.

I think to simply dismiss it with a "he's playing the racism card" is doing the issue a disservice whether or not that is what Campbell is actually doing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »

I think to simply dismiss it with a "he's playing the racism card" is doing the issue a disservice whether or not that is what Campbell is actually doing.

Didn't he have a problem with the FA committee for not having a black member. (Rio Ferdinand)

And didnt he say he wouldn't get a manager job for being black. (Chris Hughton?)

Now it's he didn't get the England captaincy for being black. (Ashley Cole?)

I don't think think he's playing the race card but he clearly has an Agenda, everything is related to him being personally overlooked. Maybe the reason for that is because he's a knob head not because he's black. But using racism is poor form.
    Forum Member
    Zmiler7 wrote: »
    Didn't he have a problem with the FA committee for not having a black member. (Rio Ferdinand)

And didnt he say he wouldn't get a manager job for being black. (Chris Hughton?)

Now it's he didn't get the England captaincy for being black. (Ashley Cole?)

I don't think think he's playing the race card but he clearly has an Agenda, everything is related to him being personally overlooked. Maybe the reason for that is because he's a knob head not because he's black. But using racism is poor form.

As i said, he may have a chip on his shoulder but it doesn't make what he says less relevant or at least it shouldn't.

You can't quote one black manager in Hughton and pretend that that makes everything ok. Or Cole getting a cap as England Captain.

Its a far bigger issue than that and people need to wake up to it.

For some reason, and i don't pretend to know what it is, black people are heavily represented as footballers but NEVER when it comes to any other position within the game.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,292
    Forum Member
    I think had he just said "I should have been captain ahead of Owen or Beckham" then people might have accepted his view but to make such allegations about racism is very strong and might smack of somebody being very bitter/frustrated?
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    I think had he just said "I should have been captain ahead of Owen or Beckham" then people might have accepted his view but to make such allegations about racism is very strong and might smack of somebody being very bitter/frustrated?

That doesn't make him wrong though.
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    According to this list, Wenger didn't think he was captain material either:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/8705140/Arsenal-captains-under-Arsene-Wenger-how-does-new-skipper-Robin-van-Persie-compare-to-his-predecessors.html

Fwiw, the only captaincy that seems up his street is the basketball team in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.
  • The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,728
    Forum Member
    Campbell was made captain of England in May 1998, only Bobby Moore was younger when given the role. Michael Owen replaced him so perhaps he wasn't good enough. As for being captain for 10 years that either means he thinks he should have been given the captaincy as soon as he became an England player or he thinks he should have been first choice for longer than he actually was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Neither Beckham or Shearer are natural team leaders.

Im a big fan of Beckham and i see why he was made captain but he isn't a leader. Sol Campbell has that vibe about him and even if you dismiss his reasoning as to why he was never captain i think most people would think "Hmmm….now that you come to mention it…….." and agree that its odd that he didn't lead England.

Being England captain isnt just about being a leader in the dressing room, its also about representing your country to the public and press. Beckham & Shearer could handle press and public well, maybe Hoddle, Keegan & Eriksson felt that Sol was not the right man and maybe this ridiculous outburst vindicates that.
  • TalkmanTalkman Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I trave always felt British media reporters are a bit racist
    The players they build up as worldclass are always white
    Rooney gerrard Owen shearer Gazza Being good examples

Even though England have had many great black players they never
    Get the same amount of hype or press
    Forum Member
    Oh well wrote: »
    Being England captain isnt just about being a leader in the dressing room, its also about representing your country to the public and press. Beckham & Shearer could handle press and public well, maybe Hoddle, Keegan & Eriksson felt that Sol was not the right man and maybe this ridiculous outburst vindicates that.

You are looking at the outburst rather than thinking about what generated it.
    Forum Member
    Talkman wrote: »

Even though England have had many great black players they never
    Get the same amount of hype or press

Absolute and total rubbish.

I think you are well out of your depth here. Go back to the "witty" Moyes jokes.
  • Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talkman wrote: »

What like Walcott? Oxlade-Chamberlain? Barkley?

Try again.