Sunday nights results pretence

Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
Forum Member
Claudia is taking over the MIchael Ball slot on Sunday nights,
as Michael Ball has moved to take over the old "Sunday Wogan slot" at lunchtimes.

If Claudia is on Radio 2 at 7pm, and on BBC1 at the same this hardly aids the pretence that the results show is being broadcast "live" on TV

Comments

• scarlottiscarlotti Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the viewing figures that the Results Show gets, I doubt anyone at the BBC will lose a seconds sleep over this!
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No more than the handful of occasions when performers have been on the X Factor results mere minutes after appearing on the Strictly results.
  • Lou_BlackLou_Black Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    as Michael Ball has moved to take over the old "Sunday Wogan slot" at lunchtimes.

If Claudia is on Radio 2 at 7pm, and on BBC1 at the same this hardly aids the pretence that the results show is being broadcast "live" on TV

Does it matter?

I like having the results show on Sunday, it means Strictly is spread out over the weekend.
  • JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    Lou_Black wrote: »
    Does it matter?

I like having the results show on Sunday, it means Strictly is spread out over the weekend.

definatley
  • StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it matter?

I like it too! If you include It Takes Two, we get a little bit of Strictly every day.:D
  • Sandy_AndrewsSandy_Andrews Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Does it matter?

Me too !

Although I do have to come in here on Saturday night to check out the spoiler thread :blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I would love a return to the results being broadcast live on a Saturday. There was more excitement in having a short break in between shows and then seeing the results announced. To avoid the spoiler nowadays you basically have to avoid going online on a Sunday, it's not just on forums like this, and the production of the results show is too slick. It's lost the live magic but still tries to pretend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ochre wrote: »
    I would love a return to the results being broadcast live on a Saturday. There was more excitement in having a short break in between shows and then seeing the results announced. To avoid the spoiler nowadays you basically have to avoid going online on a Sunday, it's not just on forums like this, and the production of the results show is too slick. It's lost the live magic but still tries to pretend.

I agree about it being a pain having to avoid any form of social media. Each to their own regarding the spoiler thread but what annoys me is people being "subtle" when they know who the winner is, eg "Obviously I won't say who left last night because I don't want to spoil the surprise but let's just say it wasn't exactly a big shock".
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it extremely easy to avoid knowing the result until the Results Show is broadcast - I simply avoid the Spoiler thread.

As for social media, if life is so complicated that someone cannot stay away from it for 24 hours, then there is probably a bigger problem to worry about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I find it extremely easy to avoid knowing the result until the Results Show is broadcast - I simply avoid the Spoiler thread.

As for social media, if life is so complicated that someone cannot stay away from it for 24 hours, then there is probably a bigger problem to worry about.

I wouldn't say it's that melodramatic!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say it's that melodramatic!

So it's not really a big deal then! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's not really a big deal then! :D

On the grand scale of world problems, nothing is a big deal on this forum is it? I just mentioned that it was a pain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the grand scale of world problems, nothing is a big deal on this forum is it? I just mentioned that it was a pain.
    So on that scale, hardly a pain at all then**

**Other opinions are available ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So on that scale, hardly a pain at all then**

**Other opinions are available ;)

Well I would quite like to come on here on a Sunday and talk about the Saturday show and anticipate what the result will be but I don't because invariably someone will drop an unsubtle hint. However, comparing this "pain" with concerns about the global economy, whether we should leave the EU and the junior doctors strike would probably be a step too far I agree.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I agree about it being a pain having to avoid any form of social media. Each to their own regarding the spoiler thread but what annoys me is people being "subtle" when they know who the winner is, eg "Obviously I won't say who left last night because I don't want to spoil the surprise but let's just say it wasn't exactly a big shock".

Exactly. I have no issue with the spoiler being available but it's not just a case of avoiding a thread on here, it spreads not only over social media but the comments on newspaper sites. And while avoiding social media isn't a problem for me as I don't have any accounts I do like to read the newspapers online on a Sunday including entertainment news and Strictly writeups on the previous nights dances. They might as well post the spoiler on the BBC Strictly site!
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »

No one has ever pretended the Sunday show is live, everyone knows it's recorded.

When they refer to last night, it's as its broadcast on Sunday.

Cost wise and due to X Factor, it cannot be done any other way.

It's NOT an issue for 99% of people.
  • kattkatt Posts: 10,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    No one has ever pretended the Sunday show is live, everyone knows it's recorded.

When they refer to last night, it's as its broadcast on Sunday.

Cost wise and due to X Factor, it cannot be done any other way.

It's NOT an issue for 99% of people.

:confused: of course it can be done other ways!

they are in the studio regardless of whether its a live show or not :confused:

the clash with X Factor might be an issue for some people but for me its never been a problem - you couldnt pay me enough to sit and watch that ITV trashy show

as far as I can see, the only reason the Results Show is screened on a Sunday night is the stupid ratings war with X Factor

personally I would prefer a live results show on a Saturday night but I dont think that will ever happen again so :D
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you run a Saturday nights results show live, the net effect is either that the whole show becomes insanely bloated (at least 150 minutes in the early weeks if not more) or you separate the results show portion out later, which means it's on too late for a lot of the show's target audience of young children and families. Neither of those reasons have got anything to do with ratings for ratings sake, it's to do with tailoring the show to its audience.
  • Sarah_Jones5Sarah_Jones5 Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could simply not watch Strictly on a Saturday if it was all show on the same night as I have to record and then watch later along with my Mom as my Dad is watching Premiership Football while the live show is on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I would quite like to come on here on a Sunday and talk about the Saturday show and anticipate what the result will be but I don't because invariably someone will drop an unsubtle hint.
    I do the same, and believe me any such "subtle hints" are soon reported and removed. I have seen only one, and the after-effects (i.e. warnings related to now-deleted posts/thread) of a few more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ochre wrote: »
    Exactly. I have no issue with the spoiler being available but it's not just a case of avoiding a thread on here, it spreads not only over social media but the comments on newspaper sites. And while avoiding social media isn't a problem for me as I don't have any accounts I do like to read the newspapers online on a Sunday including entertainment news and Strictly writeups on the previous nights dances. They might as well post the spoiler on the BBC Strictly site!

Newspapers were notorious for that in the early days, but have toed the line in recent years
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do the same, and believe me any such "subtle hints" are soon reported and removed. I have seen only one, and the after-effects (i.e. warnings related to now-deleted posts/thread) of a few more.

Okay, thank you. In that case, you may all have the pleasure of my company on Sundays for this year's show. You are very very welcome.