Options

Real life mysteries that have intrigued and baffled you

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chebby wrote: »
    Yes that was a hell of a thing to happen , I was watching it on telly , when they said ,"There seems to be trouble in the crowd'
    Horrendous.

Yes, it was horrible. And there are definitely questions that have not been answered to this day....
    Well, what mystifies my is those occasional reports of showers of frogs and fishes on inland sites. How does that happen? Is it that these creatures are sucked up the many mini-tornados that we have in the UK and are then deposited elsewhere?

Don't know, but that intrigues me as well!
    On the subject of showers of frogs, have you read the Stephen King short story "Rainy Season" ?
    If not, give it a go. Interesting take on it!
  • Options
    kenikikeniki Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    What real life mysteries have intrigued and baffled you?

There are several that spring to mind.

1) The Bermuda Triangle - real or myth? Is it just coincidence that so many ships and planes disappear??

2) Jack the Ripper. Many theories have come up over the years, none of which I am convinced by, although I reckon Patricia Cornwell had a point!

3) Madeleine Mccann and Ben Needham, where did they go? - what really happened? Still hoping for an outcome to those in the future.

4) Where exactly did Lord Lucan go

Anyone have any more? Any theories on any of the above?

I find it all intriguing.....

These baffle me as well.

Also what really happened to Genette Tate, I can still see her pixie like face after all these years. Cant remember exactly how long now.
    Does anyone else remember her.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    God

*hides*
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    God

*hides*

:D

That is only a mystery to some!
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keniki wrote: »
    These baffle me as well.

Also what really happened to Genette Tate, I can still see her pixie like face after all these years. Cant remember exactly how long now.
    Does anyone else remember her.

I believe Robert Black was suspected of her abduction and murder.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    rick182 wrote: »
    Crop Circles

Local Young Farmers Association. ;)
  • Options
    chebbychebby Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I was in a pub and it came on the telly. We were having a drink with an old uni friend of mine, who was now a journalist. He was gutted because it had happened not on his shift.:eek:

All those people squashed against the wire ... God , and seeing them being passed over peoples heads to above, and them NOT opening the gates... Jesus, jesus jesus.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Sutcliffe had been arrested but not yet tried, I was chatting to someone who worked at the jail he was remanded to. This person told us he had been given a series of alibis. I will not say by whom.

He was picked up because he was cruising in a red light district with false number plates on. He had a lady in the car with him when arrested. Incredibly, he asked the arresting copper if he could go for a pee and they later found a hammer belonging to him had been lobbed in the bins/bushes wherever, next to where he'd needed the wee.

When the murders were still happening, someone I knew was a special copper and he told us that they'd told the specials about his 'calling card' (too revolting for me to repeat here) and they thought they were looking for someone who was a lorry driver or a taxi driver. This was around the time the inquiry was being sidetracked by that Geordie's tapes and letters.

When the trial came along, I was waiting to hear about the alibis - but they didn;t surface. I always wondered why - maybe the person that told us was making things up to get attention althought they did work at the jail). Or maybe there were alibis that were retracted.

I always had an interest in the case as my family were friends of George Oldfield's - he grew up in the same village at the same time as my mum. My great aunt used to always say when he came on the news *Oh look, there's George again! I used to hold him in my arms when he was a baby!* Quite funny, re. a grizzled old copper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    God

*hides*

Mrs Teapot .....:D
    Found any more happy music , to slash yours wrists by..:)
    Loved that advice...:D:D:D
  • Options
    kenikikeniki Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1) The Bermuda Triangle - real or myth? Is it just coincidence that so many ships and planes disappear??

2) Jack the Ripper. Many theories have come up over the years, none of which I am convinced by, although I reckon Patricia Cornwell had a point!

3) Madeleine Mccann and Ben Needham, where did they go? - what really happened? Still hoping for an outcome to those in the future.

4) Where exactly did Lord Lucan go?

Anyone have any more? Any theories on any of the above?

I find it all intriguing.....[/QU

Duplicated
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do women insist on putting on a dressing gown to go to the toilet in the middle of the night, even when there's only them and their partner in the house :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When Sutcliffe had been arrested but not yet tried, I was chatting to someone who worked at the jail he was remanded to. This person told us he had been given a series of alibis. I will not say by whom.

He was picked up because he was cruising in a red light district with false number plates on. He had a lady in the car with him when arrested. Incredibly, he asked the arresting copper if he could go for a pee and they later found a hammer belonging to him had been lobbed in the bins/bushes wherever, next to where he'd needed the wee.

When the murders were still happening, someone I knew was a special copper and he told us that they'd told the specials about his 'calling card' (too revolting for me to repeat here) and they thought they were looking for someone who was a lorry driver or a taxi driver. This was around the time the inquiry was being sidetracked by that Geordie's tapes and letters.

When the trial came along, I was waiting to hear about the alibis - but they didn;t surface. I always wondered why - maybe the person that told us was making things up to get attention althought they did work at the jail). Or maybe there were alibis that were retracted.

I always had an interest in the case as my family were friends of George Oldfield's - he grew up in the same village at the same time as my mum. My great aunt used to always say when he came on the news *Oh look, there's George again! I used to hold him in my arms when he was a baby!* Quite funny, re. a grizzled old copper.

Could it have been Sonia, she was a weird one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,112
    Forum Member
    c0lefax wrote: »
    That is pretty fascinating, only just looked the name up and had a little read and a video or two on YT. I'll have a little look more later on about that, really bizarre case all round.

Indeed, the judge has recently sealed all of the case files for "national security" reasons... But if he didn't work for the CIA why would there be national security reasons...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er the disappearance of the "trial begins part 2" thread.... I don't know I go away for a few hours and pooof it's gone when I get back...:eek:

Lizzy / Chebby what did you do? ;)

Or do I need a trip to specsavers :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chebby wrote: »
    All those people squashed against the wire ... God , and seeing them being passed over peoples heads to above, and them NOT opening the gates... Jesus, jesus jesus.

It was horrific! I wonder how those people who didnt open the gates feel today? I mean I don't really blame them personally, but I think I would be devastated if I had been one of them.

Interesting. One would imagine if the alibi's had been retracted, then they would not be brought up at trial.

Maybe one of his family tried to cover for him because they actually thought he was innocent, then realising their error, withdrew the statement. Its happened before in other cases.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Utter myth. Keeps the cheapo cable chanels in business though.

2. Apparently the 2 coppers in charge both felt it was Kosminsky, who was committed to an asylum and they felt it wasn't politic to push for an arrest so long as he was banged away... but I also favour the yank psycopathic quack 'dr', Tumblety.

3) I don't think Madeleine was abducted. But I don't think she was murdered, either. I think she has gone. Ben Needham I feel was abducted and may even still be alive somewhere. I always felt this, right from when it happened.

4. I've read a few books and came to the conclusion he was alive when he left these shores and that there were several people who knew where he was, or where he was heading. Somewhere in Africa (that narrows it down).

Other ones:

Peter Sutcliffe.. How many alibis was he initially given and why/how were they retracted?

Einstein is alive & well....
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    :D

That is only a mystery to some!

Me being one of them :confused::o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Why do women insist on putting on a dressing gown to go to the toilet in the middle of the night, even when there's only them and their partner in the house :confused:

Peeping Tom's..
    Actually , whatever happened to them. ??
    Never hear about them any more..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PiggyHiggy wrote: »
    Er the disappearance of the "trial begins part 2" thread.... I don't know I go away for a few hours and pooof it's gone when I get back...:eek:

Lizzy / Chebby what did you do? ;)

Or do I need a trip to specsavers :D

Nope, it went poof! :D

Never mind, I think we were all talking in circles anyway. Best to start again when the trial starts up again and we have something new to discuss. :)

And why are you blaming me and Chebby! :mad::p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keniki wrote: »
    These baffle me as well.

Also what happened to Genette Tate,

I can still see her face after all these years, can't remember exactly how long it is now.

Does anyone else remember her?

Hi Keniki I remember Genette Tate for two reasons,... I have a similar name and I looked like her (we were the same age at the time of her disappearance)...:eek:
  • Options
    JJ28JJ28 Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

4) Where exactly did Lord Lucan go?

Where did the thread go?

Any theories on any of the above?

I find it all intriguing.....
    so much from that thread! ao
  • Options
    bmillambmillam Posts: 6,065
    Forum Member
    I voted for him :o

(Not sure that alone was enough to get him elected though! :D )

It was your fauly was it :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, it went poof! :D

Never mind, I think we were all talking in circles anyway. Best to start again when the trial starts up again and we have something new to discuss. :)

And why are you blaming me and Chebby! :mad::p

Well I recognised your names in this thread and thought if I laid blame at your door you would be quick to get the lawyers in and have me carter rucked!! :D:D
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Bermuda Tirangle No, I agree there. That is a genuine mystery. How did a song like that ever become a hit? It defies all reason.