Options

Cesar Millan Dog Whisperer in UK

andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
Forum Member
Anyone going to see Cesar Millan at O2 in March.

If I have a dog I would definitely go see him just to see him do his wonders.

Comments

• Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope. Too much of what he does is cruel for it to be entertainment.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I've heard his methods promote cruelty to animals. He has also been sued for animal abuse in which a dog suffered damaged to his oesophagus.

Not a person I want to see profiting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    I've heard his methods promote cruelty to animals.
    So you don't know you've only heard. Do you believe everything you just hear?
    He has also been sued for animal abuse in which a dog suffered damaged to his oesophagus.

I suggest people actually read the background to the case. Its not as straight forward as you make it sound.

I don't agree with all his methods but at least I have actually researched them. No one can disagree that he has an incredible empathy and talent with dogs
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

I suggest people actually read the background to the case. Its not as straight forward as you make it sound.

I don't agree with all his methods but at least I have actually researched them. No one can disagree that he has an incredible empathy and talent with dogs

You could say the same with Barbara Woodhouse. She was discredited too.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe that without the promotion of Cesar Millan's methods many out of control dogs - particularly those with aggression problems - would have been put down.

I think he's personally responsible for saving the lives of many, many dogs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member

I think the fact that virtually every dog organisation in the western world has joined forces against his methods speaks volumes

http://www.bva.co.uk/1675.aspx
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, I can go to the local stables to see that many teeth :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPvr8tQhJY4&feature=player_embedded

Dog trainer??? I beg to differ :mad:
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sue51 wrote: »
    I think the fact that virtually every dog organisation in the western world has joined forces against his methods speaks volumes

http://www.bva.co.uk/1675.aspx

If you actually read the article it says some of his methods not all
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    If you actually read the article it says some of his methods not all

OH - that's OK then - we shall trust Joe public to distinguish what those 'some' are.

You think it acceptable that someone who has raised such global concerns should be allowed to continue to promote methods to an unknowledgeable untrained public who will undoubtedly attempt to use 'some' selectively - potentially harming a dog - not to mention the possible risk to humans from a dog who doesn't take kindly to them.

Guaranteed it will be the dog labelled aggressive rather than the idiot human :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that many veterinary societies & canine behaviour organisations have issued statements against CM's methods & that in Italy, they have banned his live shows, I think that speaks volumes for what anyone with an ounce of knowledge of canine behaviour thinks of his ways of training dogs & dealing with behaviour problems.

So no, not in a million years would I waste any of my money by going to see CM ~ I think far too much of dogs to even consider that. But it is such a shame that his highly-edited TV shows give such a misguided impression that what he does to dogs is in some ways a "miracle cure" for all behaviour problems.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    Interesting topic. In one corner we have somebody like Victoria Stilwell who's only tool is rewarding and reinforcing wanted behaviour, in the other we have somebody who is willing to interrupt unwanted behaviour with transient pain. It looks like Stilwell's way is not enough. She tried it with a dog that went on to bite a baby and it was put down. It learnt to affect patience in order to get its food, but she had not altered its perception of itself in the hierarchy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like CM and agree that some of his methods are good and work whilst other are bad and I would never contemplate doing things like alpha rolls on any dog but IMO no one training method is the right method just look at Dog Borstal 3 trainers 3 different methods of training
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone get tickets for this and if so have you received them yet - we we're given two as a Xmas present but haven't received them yet
  • Options
    riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google prong collars or look on ebay and ask yourself if you'd use them on your dog, I wouldn't. Also shock collars, neither of which are shown clearly on his programs but if you know what to look for you can see him using them.

There are far better more humane methods and remember that the magical transformations are on TV which frequently distorts what actually happens with skillful editing, lots of smoke and mirrors.

He also can be seen kicking dogs and prodding them hard in the ribs on several programs:mad: I believe he's just a bully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    riversmum wrote: »
    Google prong collars or look on ebay and ask yourself if you'd use them on your dog, I wouldn't. Also shock collars, neither of which are shown clearly on his programs but if you know what to look for you can see him using them.

There are far better more humane methods and remember that the magical transformations are on TV which frequently distorts what actually happens with skillful editing, lots of smoke and mirrors.

He also can be seen kicking dogs and prodding them hard in the ribs on several programs:mad: I believe he's just a bully.

They both seem to be in common usage in america
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    They both seem to be in common usage in america
    That doesn't make them right or humane.

Some behaviourists believe their use doesn't actually modify behaviour, making them more likely to be vicious at some point in the future as it sets up a fear response instead and we all know what a frightened agressive dog can do.
    By not acknowledging that he's using them he gives a false impression of what he's doing.
    Anyone who dares criticize him is sued in a flash, he is very litigeous and video links which highlight the undesirable aspects of his training are pulled from youtube etc very quickly indeed. His lawyers must love him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    riversmum wrote: »
    That doesn't make them right or humane.

Some behaviourists believe their use doesn't actually modify behaviour, making them more likely to be vicious at some point in the future as it sets up a fear response instead and we all know what a frightened agressive dog can do.
    By not acknowledging that he's using them he gives a false impression of what he's doing.
    Anyone who dares criticize him is sued in a flash, he is very litigeous and video links which highlight the undesirable aspects of his training are pulled from youtube etc very quickly indeed. His lawyers must love him.

If you watch any of his programmes you'll notice that he prefers to use a standard slip lead - he usually only uses the prong collars if that's what the owner is use to using - in fact he's doing an symposium with the American Humane Association who have been critics of him in the past soon - my condolences go out to him at the moment as Daddy his pit bull passed away on Friday
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then maybe he should be re-educating the owners not to use them.
    I've seen lots of programs which never acknowledge their use and don't appear until towards the end when he re-appears and the dog is now docile, little wonder.
  • Options
    Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard his methods promote cruelty to animals. He has also been sued for animal abuse in which a dog suffered damaged to his oesophagus.

Collateral damage.
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    In Cesar Millan's favour he actually recognises that dogs ARE dogs.
    Its only humans that allow them to do what they want.
    It is true that bad dogs are tied to bad owners.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Cesar Millan's favour he actually recognises that dogs ARE dogs.
    Its only humans that allow them to do what they want.
    It is true that bad dogs are tied to bad owners.

Or have had bad starts in life - no matter how good an owner some dogs have had such a bad start they will be a problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're actually holding auditions for some shows that will be recorded in the UK - you've got until the 2nd March to get your video's in

http://www.cesarsway.com/node/836
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just looking at my "problem dog" asleep cuddling up to his teddy bear snoring gently and cannot imagine putting him into the care of this man - his problem behavior only impacts our life and we will cope without any rough handling, prong collars, slip collars or kicking (all things I have seen him do on various clips - the clips are removed really fast after Caesar's lawyers see them, something to hide Caesar ? ).
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    I'm just looking at my "problem dog" asleep cuddling up to his teddy bear snoring gently and cannot imagine putting him into the care of this man - his problem behavior only impacts our life and we will cope without any rough handling, prong collars, slip collars or kicking (all things I have seen him do on various clips - the clips are removed really fast after Caesar's lawyers see them, something to hide Caesar ? ).

Fair play to you for taking on a problem dog....it wouldnt be me.
    There must be a lot of problems with dogs though or else there wouldnt be so many programmes made about them or people who want to make programmes about them claiming they can cure the problems caused by dogs.
    Yes ive had a dog....but ill never get another one because no matter what there is still some grief tied to owning a dog.
  • Options
    therightdealtherightdeal Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His prices are disgraceful.