• MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    allaboard wrote: »
    Constantly milking the situation!

Probably just looking for Freshwater;-)
  • TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's widely reported that the demise of the red squirrel is due to the rise of the grey variety but don't the reds only really thrive in conifer forests?

I too have been to the nature reserve at Formby, pics below, and if I remember correctly on the conifer side of the walk lots of reds, on the broadleaf side none at all.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsky3WZRm
  • BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I live we see reds every day they come into our garden for nuts, we are surounded by forest so there are quite a lot around. A few years ago we had a grey but either it couldn't find the right food or was dispatched by game keepers.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    They haven't colonised there, that is what MAW meant, just like exotic spiders find their way here in a bunch of bananas, the occasional grey will find it's way there, but they have not taken over any habitat and are currently no threat to the reds

(I can't believe this has to be explained - the website is quite clear that it 'deals' with any renegade greys!)

MAW said grey squirrels have never made it to the IOW as in travelled there, but that isn't true, as explained in the web link I gave. They have and were dealt with.

I wasn't talking about colonization.

So. Made it, as in have travelled there. Not made it, as in colonized/established there. The two are not the same.

I've made it to London as in I have travelled there (many a time), but I havien't colonized or established myself there. OK.
  • Hut275658Hut275658 Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    The lack of Grey Squirrels I posted about is on Forestry Commission land, admitted it is mostly Pine trees but there are large areas of Beech approx. 50-60 acres, and other hardwoods. Greys have been very common and seen regularly, but not this year. I was wondering if some sort of disease has been introduced, like Myxsamotosis was for Rabbits.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hut275658 wrote: »
    The lack of Grey Squirrels I posted about is on Forestry Commission land, admitted it is mostly Pine trees but there are large areas of Beech approx. 50-60 acres, and other hardwoods. Greys have been very common and seen regularly, but not this year. I was wondering if some sort of disease has been introduced, like Myxsamotosis was for Rabbits.

Posted this earlier
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/11301638/Millions-of-pounds-of-public-money-to-pay-for-grey-squirrel-cull.html
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some wicked bugger stole all their nuts so that they can't breed anymore.