Moving a number without terminating a contract

tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
Forum Member
I am currently with Orange, and I want to move to O2 (for iPhone), however my Orange contract has 9 months to run. So what I really want to do is move my phone number to O2 because that will be my primary phone, but keep my Orange contract going to it's termination using another handset. Is this possible ?

Comments

• RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    I do not believe it is possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    No, you're contracted with Orange on that number.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    RT1981 wrote: »
    No, you're contracted with Orange on that number.

That's a shame. I'll probably stay on Orange then with my unlocked iPhone. It's just a pain that Orange don't have a sensible data tariff, which is quite essential for the iPhone given it's the first phone I've ever actually found usable on the internet.
  • RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    £8 month unlimited sounds ok to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    That's a shame. I'll probably stay on Orange then with my unlocked iPhone. It's just a pain that Orange don't have a sensible data tariff, which is quite essential for the iPhone given it's the first phone I've ever actually found usable on the internet.

Don't unlocked iPhones give up and become bricks after the next apple update?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a shame. I'll probably stay on Orange then with my unlocked iPhone. It's just a pain that Orange don't have a sensible data tariff,

But neither do O2.

If you have an unlocked iPhone already, why the need to move to O2?
    Forum Member
    £8 month unlimited sounds ok to me.

Look at the small print and what Orange call unlimited is 30MB per month !!!
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    But neither do O2.

If you have an unlocked iPhone already, why the need to move to O2?

Because O2's 200MB is as far as I am concerned as good as unlimited, whereas Orange's 30MB is too small.
    Forum Member
    coolmark18 wrote: »
    Don't unlocked iPhones give up and become bricks after the next apple update?

Temporarily they do until the iPhone hacking team fix it. However, you don't have to update. The latest firmware (1.1.1) has just been hacked and the tools are just being tidied up to make it easy to do. However, even if it weren't hacked the current advantage of moving to the latest firmware appears to be you can walk into Starbucks in Seattle and San Francisco and download the music that is playing. The disadvantage of upgrading to 1.1.1 without the hack is losing access to 100+ 3rd party applications and being able to plug in a SIM for any network. No contest methinks.
    Forum Member
    As a follow up to my original question, I'm considering getting a new number for the iPhone, transferring all calls from my Orange number for the remainder of the contract and then transferring my number. Is there a way with Orange of having a permanent transfer of all calls to another number which doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Or alternatively, can the cost of transferred calls could come out of my inclusive package - I have far more minutes on my Orange contract than I ever use
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    As a follow up to my original question, I'm considering getting a new number for the iPhone, transferring all calls from my Orange number for the remainder of the contract and then transferring my number.

I'm in a similar position. However (and I may have got the wrong end of the stick) when I called O2 about moving my T-Mobile number (which I've had for 14 years and so am rather attached to it) I was told that unless you transferred it withing the first 30 days of the new O2 contract you couldn't do it.

Worth checking.

D
    Forum Member
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    I'm in a similar position. However (and I may have got the wrong end of the stick) when I called O2 about moving my T-Mobile number (which I've had for 14 years and so am rather attached to it) I was told that unless you transferred it withing the first 30 days of the new O2 contract you couldn't do it.

Worth checking.

D

It wouldn't surprise me if they're right
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because O2's 200MB is as far as I am concerned as good as unlimited, whereas Orange's 30MB is too small.

Fair enough. Didn't realise Orange had such bad data rates too.
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    Fair enough. Didn't realise Orange had such bad data rates too.

I don't think 200MB is particularly bad. It might be in relative terms to other offerings, but quite frankly at GPRS/Edge speeds it is would be extremely hard work to use 200MB in a month. I actually rely upon the fact that 95% of the time I actually want to use the internet I am in Wifi range.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    200MB is certainly better than what O2 used to offer until recently (4MB for £5 or 20MB for £10!), although quite low compared to T-Mobile (& I think 3?).

But if it suits your needs, then :)