Options

ITV programming still being ruined by HD DOG

Comments

• Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STV seemed to have removed their DOG on STV HD so you watch some ITV content on there DOGLESS (other channels 10936V, 3855), note STV usually shows different movies though.
  • Options
    HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnash wrote: »
    they also have a paragraph of text under the usual DOG. I have not hung around long enough to read what it says, though. And don't start me off about spoilers for the next episode followed by squeezing of and talking over closing credits.

Dude ! I think that we may have been separated at birth !
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    STV seemed to have removed their DOG on STV HD so you watch some ITV content on there DOGLESS (other channels 10936V, 3855), note STV usually shows different movies though.

not any more
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    I haven't a problem with DOG's on my TV.
    So you accept graffiti on the supposedly higher quality broadcasts?

Fine. But I wouldn't brag about your lack of taste if I was you.

No one is saying it's the most important issue in the world. It's not even the most important issue in TV.

But faced with a choice of a future where all channels have DOGs, or (at least) the PSB channels don't have DOGs, I know which I would prefer.

I'm not sure how any viewer could sanely argue the opposite.

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    mickbirch2000mickbirch2000 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps ITV will realise sometime soon that the DOG stops a significant number of viewers from watching their HD channels surely that is the bottom line, it will be interesting to see how long it takes, I dont think Crozier is a very sharp tool, it will probabaly take a set of poor viewing figures & the threat of loss of ad revenue to change things...
  • Options
    Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    I think some of you are thinking about it too much and focusing on it rather than watching the program, if its a good program I forget its even there.
  • Options
    mwardymwardy Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Well I got a reply, the fastest reply yet from ITV:

[...]
    "We can confirm that the brightness of the HD DOGS was been reduced by 30% on the 25th October 2010. We have no plans to make further changes but please be assured that all members of the Creative team, who are responsible for our DOGS, have been made aware of your views."
    [...]

Hmmm... I smell bullshit... What does "was been" mean anyway? And there is no way those DOG's are 30% more oparue than they were at the start of October.

Quite right. Here's Coronation Street on Oct 7:
    http://www.mediafire.com/i/?26k31hr41pi3nus

and November 28:
    http://www.mediafire.com/i/?w6397t6tgvafbtk

(That's a car passing in front of the action, not a blackout!)

They have done *something*, which as far as I can see amounts to removing a 'blown out' effect on the DOG, but that's it. No real difference in opacity. Either somebody is lying or there is, to put it politely, one heck of an internal communications failure at ITV.

...And both show a huge increase in opacity compared to Sept 26, at which point I could watch ITV HD.
    http://www.mediafire.com/i/?6x44ww4tdb36da6

So bye bye again, ITV!
  • Options
    mrinstallermrinstaller Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    mwardy wrote: »
    Quite right. Here's Coronation Street on Oct 7:
    http://www.mediafire.com/i/?26k31hr41pi3nus

and November 28:
    http://www.mediafire.com/i/?w6397t6tgvafbtk

(That's a car passing in front of the action, not a blackout!)

They have done *something*, which as far as I can see amounts to removing a 'blown out' effect on the DOG, but that's it. No real difference in opacity. Either somebody is lying or there is, to put it politely, one heck of an internal communications failure at ITV.

...And both show a huge increase in opacity compared to Sept 26, at which point I could watch ITV HD.
    http://www.mediafire.com/i/?6x44ww4tdb36da6

So bye bye again, ITV!

OH SWEET JESUS,
    do you sleep ok at nights? you have the weight of the world on your shoulders sonny,
    what are you about 5 or a grumpy old man?
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    I thought ITV programming was mostly ruined by the fact it was produced by ITV.

:rolleyes:

I always thought that too.
  • Options
    StuartPlymouthStuartPlymouth Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OH SWEET JESUS,
    do you sleep ok at nights? you have the weight of the world on your shoulders sonny,
    'mwardy' made an excellent and well supported point.

Your failure to even come close to replicating that is obvious by your extreemly childish response.

Perhaps it would've been better if you'd said nothing at all, 'mrinstaller'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the same e-mail reply but the title had (DS) at the end which made me suspicious that they were just replying with a standard answer to any enquiries which looked like they were a follow up to this thread.
  • Options
    mrinstallermrinstaller Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    they all probably laugh at your emails saying the logo is to big.
    come on, is this thread serious or is it a wind up?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OH SWEET JESUS,

What a rude...installer. Seems to me though you are the one carrying the weight of the world:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1360267&page=10

If your job is getting you down it's no reason to take it out on other posters. Sonny. Or should that be Mr Dodgy (post #234)?
    they all probably laugh at your emails saying the logo is to big.
    come on, is this thread serious or is it a wind up?

ITV is sending misleading replies to its viewers, probably systematically to DS posters judging from grimsbsyseagulls' post. That's quite serious. Whatever led them to do this, I don't think they are sitting around laughing about it.

So yes, this is a serious thread. I'm not so sure about you.

PS Thanks, StuartPlymouth. :)
  • Options
    DeadManDeadMan Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have no real issue with dogs (Other than the really big non-transparent types) if I did not have a plasma telly. Image retention is a real concern for me. I watched an hour of Cartoon Network last night and it's taken ALL DAY for the logo to begin fading from the screen and this is a modern Panasonic G20 too!

All dogs need to be transparent or go altogether. There is no need for them. They are there purely for branding and nothing else. Anyone can easily tell what channel they are on on digital TV.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    But faced with a choice of a future where all channels have DOGs, or (at least) the PSB channels don't have DOGs, I know which I would prefer.
    Channel 5 is a (supposedly) PSB channel, and it has a DOG even on analogue.
    Trust me, all TV channels will have DOGS permanently on them once digital switch-over is complete, as they do in almost every other country and have done for years. The only exceptions, if we're lucky, will be premium subscription movie channels.
    Sad, but true I'm afraid.
    DeadMan wrote: »
    All dogs need to be transparent or go altogether. There is no need for them. They are there purely for branding and nothing else. Anyone can easily tell what channel they are on on digital TV.
    They're not just there to tell the viewer what channel they're on, and never have been. They're mainly there to "watermark" the transmission to discourage illegal piracy of copyright content, as it will always be clear where it originated. That's why they are usually well into the picture area, or it would be possible to hide them by cropping and/or zooming the image.
    There is no need for them to be solid and/or brightly coloured though.
    :)
  • Options
    blueplatinumblueplatinum Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The opacity of the ITV1 HD DOG appears to have been dramatically reduced for tonight's TV Awards.

Let's hope it stays that way.
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Channel 5 is a (supposedly) PSB channel, and it has a DOG even on analogue.

I don't think 5 has any Public Service remit at all. You might be thinking of Ch4. 5 wasn't asked to do any as their coverage reach was so small on analogue.
  • Options
    DeadManDeadMan Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still nice and transparent. I am much pleased by this being a plasma owner. Please let it stay that way! Now if only all channels followed the same path or got rid of them altogether!
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeadMan wrote: »
    Still nice and transparent. I am much pleased by this being a plasma owner. Please let it stay that way! Now if only all channels followed the same path or got rid of them altogether!
    Good thing is it's done it for all the ITV channels:).
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    They're mainly there to "watermark" the transmission to discourage illegal piracy of copyright content, as it will always be clear where it originated.
    No they're not. There are real watermarks (invisible and virtually impossible to remove) for that. Transparent logos can be removed easily.

What piracy threat to you imagine this stops? DVDs of Coronation Street? BluRays of movies which have already been released on BluRay? Knock-offs of dramas which have only been shown on ITV? Hint: if they've only been shown on ITV, you don't need a watermark to show where they came from! ;)

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent news! ITV suddenly becomes a channel I'll keep an eye on again. Just get the OAR policy right and they'll be good to go. :)
    jchamier wrote: »
    I don't think 5 has any Public Service remit at all.
    In fact it does:

't would appear that Desmond is eager to retain Five's public service broadcasting licence, which means that the channel would have to go on providing a news service... . If Desmond were to sacrifice the channel's public-service broadcasting commitments it could jeopardise Five's placement, at number five of course, on the electronic programming guides on both free-to-air and pay television. It is a valuable slot.'

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/markets/article-23858459-can-richard-desmond-repeat-his-ok-success-with-channel-five.do
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    I don't think 5 has any Public Service remit at all. You might be thinking of Ch4. 5 wasn't asked to do any as their coverage reach was so small on analogue.

Channel 5 has always had PSB commitments including news, regional/independent production quotas etc. They also broadcast a substantial amount of kids programmes. As a PSB it's guaranteed 5/105 on all EPGs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The opacity of the ITV1 HD DOG appears to have been dramatically reduced for tonight's TV Awards.

Let's hope it stays that way.

Yes, massively so.

It's transparent to the point of really not being obtrusive at all. In fact it's so barely visible, it begs the question, "why bother with it"!
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Chippy99 wrote: »
    Yes, massively so.

It's transparent to the point of really not being obtrusive at all. In fact it's so barely visible, it begs the question, "why bother with it"!

It's similar to BBC One HD now, both in size, transparency and positioning. Excellent!

After comparing a few old ITV HD recordings with today's output, my guess is that ITV agreed to reduce the 'opacity' to 30% a few months ago (I had a similar letter back then) but some numpty misunderstood the instruction as reduce it by 30%. So we ended up with a logo/DOG 70% opaque until yesterday, when they finally got it right.

Where ITV HD seems to have stolen a march on the BBC HD channels is that they drop the logo altogether for upscaled programmes, judging by what I've seen today. Even more excellent!
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oops, double post... see below!