Will Cheryl get the US XF?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benami311 wrote: »
    What is more interesting is if the XF concept sells in the USA. What I didn't realize until this year was that it is a giant soap opera. Would all of you still watch it if you removed all the newspaper stories? That just doesn't happen with AI. Either they keep it and the audience doesn't get it, or they do away with it and essentially kill off the guilty pleasure aspect. Either way, it's a loss.

You make a great point here. I think after years of mostly straightforward talent shows, most people are going to sit back and go "What. The. Hell?" And either they are going to love it, or they are going to hate it. I don't think there is going to be any middle ground.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she will get it at some point but for the first series he needs big names in America.

George Michael has been banded around a lot, but to have him & Biffa i think would be a bad move a couple of criminals on a show from the Uk wont go down well.

Cheryl's run-in with the law won't cause people to blink twice. GM, on the other hand, has no fans here. He's gay, so there goes all the girls who had a crush on him, and his pervy bathroom arrest won't help his image. There are much better options they should be pursuing.

Katy Perry, IMO, would be a home run if she agreed to do it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jujubee wrote: »
    You make a great point here. I think after years of mostly straightforward talent shows, most people are going to sit back and go "What. The. Hell?" And either they are going to love it, or they are going to hate it. I don't think there is going to be any middle ground.

On the plus side, the American public made the Jersey Shore trash into celebrities, so maybe we're due for a change :o
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is more interesting is if the XF concept sells in the USA. What I didn't realize until this year was that it is a giant soap opera. Would all of you still watch it if you removed all the newspaper stories? That just doesn't happen with AI. Either they keep it and the audience doesn't get it, or they do away with it and essentially kill off the guilty pleasure aspect. Either way, it's a loss.
    I prefer it when there isn't all the media intrusion. I prefered the X-Factor when we saw more of the contestants true personalities on the Xtra Factor and they weren't left up to the media to decide. I think the X-Factor will go down well in the US because it's like a mix of American Idol and America's Got Talent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer it when there isn't all the media intrusion. I prefered the X-Factor when we saw more of the contestants true personalities on the Xtra Factor and they weren't left up to the media to decide. I think the X-Factor will go down well in the US because it's like a mix of American Idol and America's Got Talent.

America's Got Talent is a non-issue here, it seems. It doesn't get much publicity. But now that you mention Xtra Factor, there's no show like that for AI right now (at least on network tv). We get snippets of the personalities from their intro packages on the live show (or the website for those that care). If there's no Xtra Factor, they cut out the intro packages in favor of the style used in XF and there's no media coverage of scandalous stories, I wonder how we'll know anything about the contestants? :confused:
  • SCUSASCUSA Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    America's Got Talent is a non-issue here, it seems. It doesn't get much publicity. But now that you mention Xtra Factor, there's no show like that for AI right now (at least on network tv). We get snippets of the personalities from their intro packages on the live show (or the website for those that care). If there's no Xtra Factor, they cut out the intro packages in favor of the style used in XF and there's no media coverage of scandalous stories, I wonder how we'll know anything about the contestants? :confused:

I agree that America's got talent is a non-issue here. It seems much bigger in UK. An even if the US ratings are good from a technical standpoint, I think this is more due to lack of competition in the time spots, and possibly skewed viewing numbers (in that its a show people may flip to for a few minutes, but not watch entirety). AGT is an example of a judging panel/ host lineup that does not work. Where as I do feel that the BGT judging panel achieves the right mix. (although for me, not the host- but the UK viewers probably differ in this regard).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have thought for a while, that Xtra factor make a world of different for factor compared to Idol. It gives a chance to know more about the contestants, the show in general, the judges, bring celebrities in while help further infuse the show into pop culture, etc. And I agree that the drama/ soap opera aspect of the show is what generates the success and viewing numbers. This aspect is usually played down with Idol.

Cheryl will make a great character on USXF and will be a great success. Simon is dead on when he says Cheryl is a star. She has the X factor that is hard to match for a judge on this type of show. She’s insanely hot, comes across as genuine, (side note- I actually think she will be successful musically as well) , and all of the things that are British about her will add depth and interest, and the fact that the US doesn’t know much about her is perfect. The of how much there is not get to know about her as a “character.” (everything that the UK has spent the past years discovering). Compared to someone like Mariah Carey who has a great voice but would leave viewers bored if they were interested in finding out more about her.

The decision makers for the USXF will miss the mark in a big way if they are unable to wrap they heads around some of the more tangential ingredients that have a huge impact on a mega successful show like UKXF (achieving 50% of the view public is incredible). If they instead get too formula-matic in a narrow sense & fail to think outside of the box regarding what actually creates the successful mix of ingredients, they will likely get a show similar in feel to idol… which will be successful, but will at the same time leave a lot on the table & fall short of its potential.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash's Man wrote: »
    Why do so many people say no?

The fact no one there will understand a thing she says unless she starts speaking RP might be an issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    The fact no one there will understand a thing she says unless she starts speaking RP might be an issue.

It blows my mind that people say this so often. I have never had even a small problem understanding Cheryl... and as far as I have read on this forum- almost every other American has said they have no problem either.

It must be something with the different accents throughout the UK b/c it seems people in the UK have a tougher time with her accent than people in the US?
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've said it in other threads, but even though Simon was unknown when AI began, what brought him to popularity was his bitchy, catty and nasty remarks. THAT was his "gimmick" and what he became known for: the nasty Brit who cut people down to size. He will have to carry that on to XF as well because that is what people are expecting from him.

Although Paula had been gone for awhile, she was still well liked and well known. Her songs were still popular among 90s afficionados. By the time AI started, I dont think it had been 10 years since she'd been away, and I don't think she'd ever been 'away' completely, just not having any hits...

errrrr I dont' know about Chery Cole. She is not known here, she does have a much stronger accent (certainly no Keira Knightly lol) and just being British alone is certainly not enough to achieve any status. I also think the American viewing public tend to like British Men moreso than the Women. Am I wrong in that observation? Certainly being pretty alone is not enough. She's going to have to have some sort of endearing quality to grasp onto the public.

George Michael (exceptional singer) still comes with loads of baggage, and not good baggage either. I dont see him as a draw. Much of the American public has no idea what he's done in the UK of late, but the bathroom sex incident in Beverly Hills is still quite known and will resurface. And I also do not think three British accents on a panel would necessarily go over well. Might as well be a BBC America program(me) in that case. 2 is fine out of 4 judges, 3 is a no no.

Honestly for XF to be successful, it really relies on the public coming in because of Simon and one other top drawer judge. Simon will have to be that same Simon that people wanted to see on AI (we dont want a sensitive Simon) and the other top judge will have to be someone that the American public can relate to and have some history with the public. Cheryl can be the 3rd, but she wont be #1 and #2 draw IMO.

just my opinion.
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SCUSA wrote: »
    It blows my mind that people say this so often. I have never had even a small problem understanding Cheryl... and as far as I have read on this forum- almost every other American has said they have no problem either.

It must be something with the different accents throughout the UK b/c it seems people in the UK have a tougher time with her accent than people in the US?

"Most' people in the US have not heard her. I don't think it is non understandable, but it is stronger. It is not an accent normally heard and it 'can' be challenging to some people to have to really pay attention to understand everything that she is saying. Obviously since you (and I) are on a British oriented board, you do have more experience with Britishness than many others I am guessing.
  • lucy manelucy mane Posts: 10,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ant and Dec did a pilot for a TV show in the US and it bombed.
    Nobody could understand them. Cheryl's voice is even harder to understand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people should really get a perspective.

If he offers her the job, she'll take it. She didn't get where she is by not believiing in herself.

As for flopping, I really don't think so. It's a judging job on TV, not physics. All she has to say is "this is potentially world-class", "you brought soul to it", "you made it your own". Let's face it, as long as you bring a bit charm with you, it's the easiest job in the world. Her beauty and a good edit will help her.

As for those who think she'll become a really huge huge star there - not really. What has made her such a star in the UK? Her experience with Popstars, GA, her problems with Ashley. People still see her as the girl from Newcastle that auditioned all those years ago.

In the US, people don't know anything about that. She's pretty and she has a bit of glamour, but the US has Hollywood and more than enough beautiful actresses, singers, TV personalities. When she will go to the US, she'll be close to her thirties. I don't think little American girls will relate to a 28-year-old British woman like they do in the UK where girls still know her as the girl from GA. She has no talent either. Yes, Kesha or Katy aren't particularly talented either, but they are American, they are younger and they do get involved in the writing process of their songs.

Cheryl will do fine on the X Factor panel and she'll get some mag covers and headlines. A huge TV personality or popstar she is not going to become in the US. You can quote me on that.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I think she will.

Half of me hopes she does so that the UK are rid of her.
    Half of me hopes she doesn't so that she doesn't get even more annoying and above her station.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moireen wrote: »
    A huge TV personality or popstar she is not going to become in the US. You can quote me on that.

You can certainly quote me, that she will. (Both an Huge TV personality and a popstar)... for reasons i've mentioned exhaustively.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the fact that people think she'll be loved in America because she's "insanely hot"(whatevs) and Simon's pet.
    Yeah right. The audience for these shows is predominantly hetero women who are (for whatever reason) in love with Simon.

They'll HATE Cheryl.

If she had some actual talent, she might stand a chance, but she's only successful because she's "insanely hot" and Simon's little pet muppet.

P.S. Perez's fawning will NOT help. And that's all before we get into the fact she beat the S*** out of a woman, and a black woman at that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the fact that people think she'll be loved in America because she's "insanely hot"(whatevs) and Simon's pet.

Yeah right. The audience for these shows is predominantly hetero women who are (for whatever reason) in love with Simon.

They'll HATE Cheryl.

If she had some actual talent, she might stand a chance, but she's only successful because she's "insanely hot" and Simon's little pet muppet.

Good point...I forgot about the typical "late-40s female lusting after that 20-something y/o guy" viewer. I stand corrected. However, in terms of pop culture noteriety...she will do well because of her looks and to be frank, the fact she's a bit rough around the edges.

You can remove the "quotes" around insanely hot. She is essentially the universal definition of what an insanely hot caucasian woman is. Anyone who pretends she's not "all that" is probably jealous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .You can remove the "quotes" around insanely hot. She is essentially the universal definition of what an insanely hot caucasian woman is. Anyone who pretends she's not "all that" is probably jealous.

Um...no. I'll keep the quotes thank you. She's pretty, but nowhere near "insanely hot." Then again, I'm a hetero woman(the major demo for this show), so whether the quotes are necessary or not aren't going to matter a damn are they? Who cares? It's not like the guys are going to flood in because of her. They won't for Nicole Sherzinger either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um...no. I'll keep the quotes thank you. She's pretty, but nowhere near "insanely hot." Then again, I'm a hetero woman(the major demo for this show), so whether the quotes are necessary or not aren't going to matter a damn are they? Who cares? It's not like the guys are going to flood in because of her. They won't for Nicole Sherzinger either.

Success in America will have very little to do with how well she does on XF. That's how she'll be known, but the rest of the media will take over and that's how she'll get her publicity. "Simon's sidekick", "Will.I.am's muse", etc... It's not that hard for someone who is well connected, and she seems to be. The middle aged women might hate her, but any hot-blooded male between the age of 14-100 WILL get her appeal...there is no doubt of that.

Cheryl will do very well with the Maxim and FHM Hot 100 Women lists...that is guaranteed.

She'll also do well in the gossip magazines because she's attractive (i.e. insanely hot) and fashionable (whether good or bad). She'll get press.

The fact that she's a mediocre singer won't hurt her. We have lots of those. But she will be pretty well known within a year if she decides to come over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FOX programming caters to the desirable 18-34 (18-49) year old male demographic with buying power.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ajar wrote: »
    FOX programming caters to the desirable 18-34 and 18-49 year old male demographic with buying power.

True, but jujubee is correct for this type of programming. It is female dominated...the kind that look at an absolutely beautiful girl and roll their eyes and comment on her nose being to long, her split ends, bad ankles...you know, those things that no one else looking at a beautiful woman cares about? So yes, they will likely hate her, but that's ok...these shows need a villain. By hating her, they'll just make he more famous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Success in America will have very little to do with how well she does on XF. That's how she'll be known, but the rest of the media will take over and that's how she'll get her publicity. "Simon's sidekick", "Will.I.am's muse", etc... It's not that hard for someone who is well connected, and she seems to be. The middle aged women might hate her, but any hot-blooded male between the age of 14-100 WILL get her appeal...there is no doubt of that.

Cheryl will do very well with the Maxim and FHM Hot 100 Women lists...that is guaranteed.

She'll also do well in the gossip magazines because she's attractive (i.e. insanely hot) and fashionable (whether good or bad). She'll get press.

The fact that she's a mediocre singer won't hurt her. We have lots of those. But she will be pretty well known within a year if she decides to come over.

But there are FAR more attractive people living in America. Hollywood is full of people a lot more beautiful than she is. What sets Cheryl apart from them??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True, but jujubee is correct for this type of programming. It is female dominated...the kind that look at an absolutely beautiful girl and roll their eyes and comment on her nose being to long, her split ends, bad ankles...you know, those things that no one else looking at a beautiful woman cares about? So yes, they will likely hate her, but that's ok...these shows need a villain. By hating her, they'll just make he more famous.

But advertisers are aiming for the A18-34 male group not the female group.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But there are FAR more attractive people living in America. Hollywood is full of people a lot more beautiful than she is. What sets Cheryl apart from them??

The media decides who becomes famous. She's not an unknown trying to make her mark. She's coming locked arm-in-arm with will.I.am and as a judge on a a heavily promoted television program. I can already see the "Who is Cheryl Cole?" spreads that will feature in the likes of People Magazine, the gossip columns and NYT Entertainment section. She will be on the front pages of the gossip magazines immediately. She's got a pretty good advantage right from the get-go. THAT'S what sets her apart.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ajar wrote: »
    But advertisers are aiming for the A18-34 male group not the female group.

I disagree. American Idol has dominated with a predominantly female fan base...quite a departure from the usual FOX demographic.

I say go for the woman for adversiting. They are the bigger influencers, whether spending their own money or their husband's.