ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Comments

• Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,960
    Forum Member
    That Millionaire repeat did almost as well as it's first showing last month with 2,65m (inc +1).
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While answering a post elsewhere, I came across this:

http://dcmscommsreview.readandcomment.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Ofcom_paper_on_competition_in_content_markets.pdf

Which, unless I've completely misread the first page graph, says that, broadly speaking, BBC1 and ITV1 spent about the same on programme content in the 5 years up to end of 2010. Seems to me that, if those figures are correct, BBC1 is/was getting much more "bang for the buck" than ITV1. Anyone know if a more up to date graph is available?

K
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    While answering a post elsewhere, I came across this:

http://dcmscommsreview.readandcomment.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Ofcom_paper_on_competition_in_content_markets.pdf

Which, unless I've completely misread the first page graph, says that, broadly speaking, BBC1 and ITV1 spent about the same on programme content in the 5 years up to end of 2010. Seems to me that, if those figures are correct, BBC1 is/was getting much more "bang for the buck" than ITV1. Anyone know if a more up to date graph is available?

K
    I could believe they both spend about the same but that BBC 1 get more viewers, for various reasons, including simply BBC content is more popular. I don't think ITV would be too distressed by that so long as their business is profitable.
  • TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lets pick up a few issues great houses with julian felloes may even be included in the downton abbey contract for all we know plus its up against a bbc banker on a night when the bbc alwaysd dominate. in terms of mr selfridge itv and its partners will look at more than pure ratings including types of viewers demographic repeat and worldwide sale value and we are awarethat x factor 2012 wasnt the strongest ever and what beaten most weeks nad now to the nta by scd. none of these point to an itv crisis. so please lighten up samuel and take a chill pill and be positive about itv for a change and stop seeing the bbc through rose tinted glasses as if you are sucking up to them for some reason whatever that is as you seem to be a very loneely man not only in life but also in terms of the forum with you damnational blastsd about how diabolical itv is these days when it isnt it just behaves differently to the way it used to and also to the bbc
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    One of the worst ever National Television Awards ratings yesterday, only 5.5million and beaten by BBC1 once again in the flagship 9pm slot.

Proof that there is a ratings problem at itv. This is the kind of show which used to get 6.5m viewers or more year after year. But with audiences not watching Itv as much in the last 6months as before, the rating for NTA was down almost a million from its usual ratings. Itv will be wondering if audiences will ever return to watching the channel. Audience reach for last week according to www.BARB.co.UK was only 71pct compared to 78pct for the same week last year. More than 3million people in the population have simply stopped watching itv in the last 12 months.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    One of the worst ever National Television Awards ratings yesterday, only 5.5million and beaten by BBC1 once again in the flagship 9pm slot.

Averaged 5.9m actually
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Audience reach for last week according to www.BARB.co.UK was only 71pct compared to 78pct for the same week last year. More than 3million people in the population have simply stopped watching itv in the last 12 months.

ITV 1 71.5%
    ITV 1 +1 19.4%
    ITV 1 HD 9.3%

so the reach for all 3 combined could be 100%?
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Averaged 5.9m actually
    That's including +1. Whatever way you spin it, its down almost a million from last year and almost 2milliom from a few years ago. This can be explained in some way by Itvs ratings crisis. Fewer people tuning into the channel per week (over 3million fewer than previous years), means fewer people seeing promos for itv shows like NTAs, meaning fewer casual viewers end up watching their programmes. Must be a big worry for Itv top brass that weekly audience reach has plumetted so much in the space of a year. As we've seen this month, it means lots of itv shows have endeed up rating badly and beaten by bbc1 in almost every 9pm time.
    Forum Member
    ITV 1 71.5%
    ITV 1 +1 19.4%
    ITV 1 HD 9.3%

so the reach for all 3 combined could be 100%?
    Ridiculous spin there George s. Almost all of those 19.4pct and 9.3pct viewers would be the same 71.5pct watching itv1. You know you can't just add them together!! Fact is itv1 reach has fallen big time. Major problems here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's including +1. Whatever way you spin it, its down almost a million from last year and almost 2milliom from a few years ago.

0.51M decrease from last year is almost a million? Must be your roundings I suppose!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridiculous spin there George s. Almost all of those 19.4pct and 9.3pct viewers would be the same 71.5pct watching itv1.

I dont watch ITV SD anymore. I'm HD only as my region has local news on the HD channel as do many others. Why would I watch the SD channel? I know I'm not alone.
    Forum Member
    I dont watch ITV SD anymore. I'm HD only as my region has local news on the HD channel as do many others. Why would I watch the SD channel? I know I'm not alone.
    HD and +1 channels were up about 1pct from last year. But Itv1 still down 7pct. So overall reach is still down a lot from 12 months ago.

In order to get big ratings, itv needs the non soap/hardcore itv audiences to watch the channel. Year by year these non typical itv viewers are watching the channel less and less, audience reach is slipping a lot. And this is seen by the lower ratings itv keeps getting and beaten by bbc1 10-plus days in a row at 9oclock!

NTAs down a million or more from most previous years. Manchester united FA Cup replay matches only getting 5million instead of 6million. The list goes on...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HD and +1 channels were up about 1pct from last year. But Itv1 still down 7pct. So overall reach is still down a lot from 12 months ago. .

you havent produced a single figure on the overall reach of ITV1 (inclusive of HD and +1) so why should we believe you on that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NTAs down a million or more from most previous years. ..

except from the years that it wasn't of course! :rolleyes:
  • SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Proof that there is a ratings problem at itv. This is the kind of show which used to get 6.5m viewers or more year after year. But with audiences not watching Itv as much in the last 6months as before, the rating for NTA was down almost a million from its usual ratings. Itv will be wondering if audiences will ever return to watching the channel. Audience reach for last week according to www.BARB.co.UK was only 71pct compared to 78pct for the same week last year. More than 3million people in the population have simply stopped watching itv in the last 12 months.

You really are a Troll. Coronation street on Monday got over 10m with Lewis over 6m. over 5m for National TV Awards is good with a fantastic documentry on BBC 1 at the same time. Every program on Sunday got over 5m against strong BBC 1 programs. And ITV also won primetime last night.

ITV is not in crisis. even though you say BBC 1 has won every program at 9 O'clock doesn't mean a program doesn't have good ratings
    Forum Member
    you havent produced a single figure on the overall reach of ITV1 (inclusive of HD and +1) so why should we believe you on that?
    If Itv+1 and Itv hd reach is up 1pct, and itv1 reach is down 7pct, it means overall itv [including hd and +1] reach is still down a lot.
    Coronation street on Monday got over 10m with Lewis over 6m. over 5m for National TV Awards is good with a fantastic documentry on BBC 1 at the same time. Every program on Sunday got over 5m against strong BBC 1 programs. And ITV also won primetime last night.

ITV is not in crisis. even though you say BBC 1 has won every program at 9 O'clock doesn't mean a program doesn't have good ratings
    Ive already commented on Lewis and said its doing well this series, as well as the soaps. Go back through this thread and you'll see my comments on them. Even though everything on Itv was above 5million on Sunday night, when you look at it in more detail, its not so good news. Dancing on ice got some of its worst ever ratings, family fortunes doing ok but Mr Selfridge is not quite the success Itv were hoping for. Whether or not you think crisis is the right word to descrive the situation, it is clear there is still a ratings problem going on at Itv. Viewing share, viewing reach, audiences, top talent show ratings are all down from previous years. New drama and comedies not rating so well, almost all 9pm factual is rating below 3million. With new shows, Splash ironically is one bit of good ratings [but not reputational] news from first few weeks of this year, a show which I personally tipped for success 6 months ago ;)
  • TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some people are questioning the quality or lack of on the nta, what they were up against and also to remember that we now have more 5 channels. nta figures will go up when +1 and hd and on demand are added no crisis the only problem which itv and others know about is that viewers are more selective when and whereand how they watch the programme that they want -no crisis here then with any show then
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Itv+1 and Itv hd reach is up 1pct, and itv1 reach is down 7pct, it means overall itv [including hd and +1] reach is still down a lot.

Ive already commented on Lewis and said its doing well this series, as well as the soaps. Even though everything on Itv was above 5million on Sunday night, when you look at it in more detail, its not so good news. Dancing on ice got some of its worst ever ratings, family fortunes doing ok but Mr Selfridge is not quite the success Itv were hoping for. Whether or not you think crisis is the right word to descrive the situation, it is clear there is still a ratings problem going on at Itv. Viewing share, viewing reach, audiences, top talent show ratings are all down from previous years. New drama and comedies not rating so well, almost all factual is rating below 3million. With new shows, Splash ironically is one bit of good ratings [but not reputational] news from first few weeks of this year, a show which I tipped for success 6 months ago ;)

Yes but its not just ITV other channels to are having the same trend. Casualty isn't the force it once was. Britains Brightest is not getting ratings the BBC hoped for. Same as Channel 4. Friends used to get 6m on a friday now look what some shows get.

5m+ for a drama now is very good. a 5.5m for national tv Awards while a popular documentry is on BBC 1 is also very good. Remember gone are the days when we only had 3 channels. Now most people have 40 at least.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,960
    Forum Member
    You really are a Troll. Coronation street on Monday got over 10m with Lewis over 6m. over 5m for National TV Awards is good with a fantastic documentry on BBC 1 at the same time. Every program on Sunday got over 5m against strong BBC 1 programs. And ITV also won primetime last night.

Just face it - he'll always find a fault with a good rating. The Chase did average less than Pointless if you do not include +1 but I don't want to create a debate. But I was hoping for it to stay around the 4m it got on Monday and Tuesday.
    Forum Member
    Yes but its not just ITV other channels to are having the same trend. Casualty isn't the force it once was. Britains Brightest is not getting ratings the BBC hoped for. Same as Channel 4. Friends used to get 6m on a friday now look what some shows get.

5m+ for a drama now is very good. a 5.5m for national tv Awards while a popular documentry is on BBC 1 is also very good. Remember gone are the days when we only had 3 channels. Now most people have 40 at least.
    Sam I agree with you that 5m+ for drama is normally very good. But Itv were hoping for maybe 6m+ or 7m for Mr Selfidge because of the publicity it got. As for the NTAs, a 5.5million rating is fine, but questions need to be asked: why is it down 0.7million from last year and almost 2million from 3 years ago? Is this because the awards show isnt well produced, is it because people dont like the host, is it because people arent tuning into Itv anyway? Questions need to be answered and Pete Fincham will be investigating this as we speak.
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Just face it - he'll always find a fault with a good rating. The Chase did average less than Pointless if you do not include +1 but I don't want to create a debate. But I was hoping for it to stay around the 4m it got on Monday and Tuesday.
    I have come to accept the Chase is rating well, even if it gets beat by Pointless sometimes. So I wont be criticising it in a ratings crisis thread anymore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it just means people are watch SD less.
  • mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Ive already commented on Lewis and said its doing well this series, as well as the soaps. Go back through this thread and you'll see my comments on them. Even though everything on Itv was above 5million on Sunday night, when you look at it in more detail, its not so good news. Dancing on ice got some of its worst ever ratings, family fortunes doing ok but Mr Selfridge is not quite the success Itv were hoping for. Whether or not you think crisis is the right word to descrive the situation, it is clear there is still a ratings problem going on at Itv. Viewing share, viewing reach, audiences, top talent show ratings are all down from previous years. New drama and comedies not rating so well, almost all factual is rating below 3million. With new shows, Splash ironically is one bit of good ratings [but not reputational] news from first few weeks of this year, a show which I tipped for success 6 months ago ;)

ITV is expected to announce a £100m of profit in 2012-13. any loss of ratings on ITV1 are being mitigated by growth on ITV's family of stations/ITV player and studio's have limited the impact of this.

as you have been told repeatedly "overnight ratings" do not mean much to a commercial broadcaster.
    Forum Member
    mediarat wrote: »
    as you have been told repeatedly "overnight ratings" do not mean much to a commercial broadcaster.
    On the Grauniad's Media Talk podcast, John Plunkett and colleagues actually discussed how important overnight ratings still are to Itv. Advertising accounts for 68pct of Itvs revenues so overnight ratings are still very important despite all the spin by Archie and Adam.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam I agree with you that 5m+ for drama is normally very good. But Itv were hoping for maybe 6m+ or 7m for Mr Selfidge because of the publicity it got. As for the NTAs, a 5.5million rating is fine, but questions need to be asked: why is it down 0.7million from last year and almost 2million from 3 years ago? Is this because the awards show isnt well produced, is it because people dont like the host, is it because people arent tuning into Itv anyway? Questions need to be answered and Pete Fincham will be investigating this as we speak.

I have come to accept the Chase is rating well, even if it gets beat by Pointless sometimes. So I wont be criticising it in a ratings crisis thread anymore.

Ok SamuelW. Last year on BBC 1 they had a program that got less then 4m. DIY SOS. Last night Africa got over 5m. The Competion was stronger this year then last year.
    Forum Member
    Ok SamuelW. Last year on BBC 1 they had a program that got less then 4m. DIY SOS. Last night Africa got over 5m. The Competion was stronger this year then last year.
    Good point samthefootball.