What do you wish you had taped?

SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
Forum Member
Thinking back on all the radio I have listened to I was pondering about what I wish I'd made more of an effort to record. For me it would be the Jeff Young big beat show of the late 80's. Some great mixes and classic tracks. I have a couple of cassettes but they just leave me wanting more.

So what would it be for you?

Comments

• vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,353
    Forum Member
    Chris Moyles on Chiltern and Capital.
    Anything on Oasis FM and Ten 17.
    Southern FM 1996.
    Kix 96.
    Millennium FM transitions into Late Night Love.
    The latter Hertbeat FM.
    Cube afternoon show.
    Life breakfast.
    WLON The Mix
    SAGA 105.7fm
  • Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread has brought a childhood memory from when I was 10. I wish I'd have recorded The BBC Radio 1 love parade in Leeds back in 2000 when Judge Jules was live with my own cassette. I did tape by pressing record on a radio player that an uncle had as I was at his house in a backroom with a cousin listening to it as the adults were talking in the main lounge. His 2 older brothers were there (my older cousins) and he said "is it ok if I press record"? I said yes and we didn't know it was a tape that had a recording on that the uncle did of him playing in a band he had. I took the tape home with me that night only to find that the other side still had it on as we'd only cleared one side of the tape. That uncle was very upset afterwards and the tape ended up going back to him so I will never know what happened to the tape. It would be good if there are website where you can listen to that night again. I bet you can't remember what you were doing that night. :D
  • Brian_BourdonBrian_Bourdon Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    This thread has brought a childhood memory from when I was 10. I wish I'd have recorded The BBC Radio 1 love parade in Leeds back in 2000 when Judge Jules was live with my own cassette. I did tape by pressing record on a radio player that an uncle had as I was at his house in a backroom with a cousin listening to it as the adults were talking in the main lounge. His 2 older brothers were there (my older cousins) and he said "is it ok if I press record"? I said yes and we didn't know it was a tape that had a recording on that the uncle did of him playing in a band he had. I took the tape home with me that night only to find that the other side still had it on as we'd only cleared one side of the tape. That uncle was very upset afterwards and the tape ended up going back to him so I will never know what happened to the tape. It would be good if there are website where you can listen to that night again. I bet you can't remember what you were doing that night. :D

Wow you just brought back memories of that day in 2000. I remember trekking to Leeds from Merseyside for the Love Parade event at Roundhay Park.

I wish I had full copies of Sally Moon's Sunday late Show from summer 1987 on Red Rose Radio. Anyone have any of those then PM me.

Happy times.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,840
    Forum Member
    It's not so much what I wish I had taped, more what I wish I'd kept :(
  • Declan_McGrath1Declan_McGrath1 Posts: 7,294
    Forum Member
    I wished I taped more of the vibe nation shows with Haward Richie on Coast 96.3 in North Wales ive only taped one cassette back in 2003 when I was 9 I also enjoyec party Friday and Party Saturday as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I wished I taped more of the vibe nation shows with Haward Richie on Coast 96.3 in North Wales ive only taped one cassette back in 2003 when I was 9 I also enjoyec party Friday and Party Saturday as well.

Any chance you could post that recording online?

There were videos on YouTube of him doing the show circa 2004, but they got taken down/were made private.
  • oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,077
    Forum Member
    This thread has brought a childhood memory from when I was 10. I wish I'd have recorded The BBC Radio 1 love parade in Leeds back in 2000 when Judge Jules was live with my own cassette.
    It would be good if there are website where you can listen to that night again. I bet you can't remember what you were doing that night. :D
    Is this part of what you are looking for ?
    http://www.mixcloud.com/northernmunky/judge-jules-seb-fontaine-leeds-love-parade-july-8th-2000/

Regards
  • GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish that I had taped more of Fluffs weekday shows in 1972/3 ....have some and lots of poor quality snippets!
  • tellymantellyman Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wish I had recorded the complete pick of the pops progs when fluff did them instead of pressing the pause button when he spoke.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Mark & Lard and Chris Evans on Radio 1 in the glory days.
  • EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    The "Billboard American Hot 100" show on Beacon in the late '70s 7pm to 10pm on Sunday nights. It was fast-moving, punchy and bright and aired music that wouldn't be heard anywhere else. It was also broadcast a week ahead of the US charts on Radio 1.
  • GoodBuddyGoodBuddy Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »

Thankfully I had the foresight to record a lot of their skits from their afternoon show. Got stacks of Fat Harry White as well as a lot of their competitions (beat the clock, missing words etc) Comedy gold!
  • nightdriver155nightdriver155 Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Radio Tip-Top in its pirate incarnation

Very early days of LBC,and AM with Bob and Doug,
    Much more Kenny Everett and Roger Scott on Capital1973-1979
  • CS73CS73 Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    When Leicester Sound closed down, I wish I had have tapes/listened to it, the radio station I grew up listening to.
    can't find it anywhere on the internet now
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kenny Everett on Capital.
    Capitals review of the year
    Mike Allen on Capital
    Tony Prince DMC shows on Radio Luxembourg
    Tommy Vance rock shows
    and John Peel shows
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,777
    Forum Member
    Roger Scott's last Radio 1 show before he died about 10 days later:(
  • Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fluff on Capital Radio - particularly his take two style POTPs.
  • oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,077
    Forum Member
    CS73 wrote: »
    When Leicester Sound closed down, I wish I had have tapes/listened to it, the radio station I grew up listening to.
    can't find it anywhere on the internet now

There are some snippets here ---
    http://davidlloyd-radio.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/the-friendly-leicester-sound.html
    Regards
  • nightdriver155nightdriver155 Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Roger Scott's last Radio 1 show before he died about 10 days later:(

Yes Indeed,I think Radio 4extra should do a tribute to Roger,as they did with Kenny
  • wirewolfwirewolf Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    It's not so much what I wish I had taped, more what I wish I'd kept :(

Indeed. I had loads of stuff on tape but mistakenly chucked the lot out many years ago when moving house.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Somehow this thread reminded me of 'Radio Tip Top' from Radio 1 in the 90s, but I found some eps on YouTube! I wonder if it will make more sense now?
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tellyman wrote: »
    Wish I had recorded the complete pick of the pops progs when fluff did them instead of pressing the pause button when he spoke.

I initially did as you did but soon realised that they would be far better and interesting if I kept Alan Freeman in, with the knowledge that they could become rather a good thing to have if and when he was no longer with us, as has been the case for 8 years as of last week.

Also, not so much what I wish I had taped but what I wish I had never taped over back in the early 80's when I would frequently re-tape and wipe radio recordings that I had made time and time again due to not being able to keep buying fresh blanks.

I do wish I had taped a lot of the Tuesday lunchtime Top 5 chart reveals at 12.45pm from 1982 to 1986, mostly with Gary Davies.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,840
    Forum Member
    wirewolf wrote: »
    Indeed. I had loads of stuff on tape but mistakenly chucked the lot out many years ago when moving house.

I was at Uni, customary Sunday phone call back home, mum says 'oh and I've chucked out all those crappy old tapes, they were no use were they?'

My heart sank....
  • james_watersjames_waters Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still got all my tapes in boxes in the front room which one day I will sort. My 'collection' runs up to around 1995...

Was just talking the other day about the DLT resigning on air clip. Nobody has a good copy.
  • Jonny_RottenNIJonny_RottenNI Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »

Agreed. You have good taste.

Plus Kevin & Andrew in the morning or Charlie Wolf on Atlantic 252.