Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Logic has flown clean out of the window. Somebody would definitely have seen that name in the local paper too regards the crash and set alarm bells ringing. .....

Mention has been made of the cast. I cannot believe that some of the longer term members can be happy with the writing. If Helen Worth is happy with what is being asked of her at the moment playing Gail then I can only despair and presume many cast are now just fine to take the money and coast along with any old tripe.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Gail say she'd had to steal the paper from the Kabin? Why didn't she just buy it? :confused: Oh, and I think she only referred to the paper singular, inferring that they only had the one copy. So either they'd had loads but all the rest had been sold, in which case what was the point? Or they only ever stock one copy, so crisis averted!
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Gail say she'd had to steal the paper from the Kabin? Why didn't she just buy it? :confused: Oh, and I think she only referred to the paper singular, inferring that they only had the one copy. So either they'd had loads but all the rest had been sold, in which case what was the point? Or they only ever stock one copy, so crisis averted!

She said she stole it from the cafe so there would be only one paper in there for the customers to read
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    You're right about everything. It was terrible tonight. I keep watching, hoping it will improve just a little, but it never does. :( The Bethany stuff was particularly cringeworthy; my toes were curling every time she spoke! Would she really have that accent after being raised in Milan? As far as I know she's never set foot in England for years. Throwing in a "grazie" and a "nonna" didn't help at all! As you say, just when you thought it couldn't get any worse... :cry:
    Dammi una pinta!! :kitty:

Another opportunity squandered by Corrie. Bethany coming in and struggling to reassimilate would've made for a better storyline than a mischievous brat having her way.
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She said she stole it from the cafe so there would be only one paper in there for the customers to read

Everywhere else in the country has a weekly freeby either stuffed through the letter-box, dumped in the gutter, or, as in our case, there's a bloody great mountain of them in Freschco, the Post Office, and branches of Dev's empire. Why should Weatherfield be any different?

Actually the s/l of "hiding a story in the paper" seems vaguely familiar; I'm sure we've been there before. Was it when there was a big spread of Rosie showing her charms, but the whole "let's keep it secret" plan came undone when her picture was discovered behind the packets of peanuts behind the bar, after enough of them had been bought?
  • Options
    desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked for over 30 years in London and have never heard anyone talk the way they do in EastEnders. One of the reasons I don't watch the show, the accents put me off. The accents may or may not be wrong in Corrie but I don't know one way or the other so it doesn't matter to me!

ditto. But being cockney born and bred Mockney accents do grate on me. Corrie, they could be speaking with any accent, I wouldn't know the difference!
  • Options
    desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night's Corrie offering was a complete load of tosh.

We had Bethany rocking up made up like an extra from Madame Butterfly, I thought she was supposed to be mortally ill with that complexion. Conning the cab driver out of his fare, which always makes me so angry, I know it isn't real but the poor man has a living to earn! Another "fiesty" ie mouthy gobshite with an attitude problem. Is she a replacement for Katie or
    or Maddie
    ? Oh what fun we are going to have in the future with this character - not.

Gail shoving Michael's aunt into her coat and shoving her down the path, then seeing Michael and then shoving her back inside the house all without the woman making one protest. All the rubbish with the newspaper, so boring and so predictable.

Roy and the Nazir grandpa fighting over the allotment, how amusing. Allotments have lists, when you reach the top you get the first available. You do not just walk into a vacant allotment. Where I used to live, the waiting list was about 15 years long.

Not Gavin seeing Bethany "crying" in the street and takes her into the Rovers for a drink, as if. Then we have the rest of the Platt tribe turning up, oh horror, she is underage, who would have guessed it.

Owen grabbing Faye around the middle and kissing her and not realising that she is about eight months gone.

Finally, we have that bad excuse for an actress Andrea throwing herself into that disgusting, dilapidated old armchair and HEY!, it collapses like a clown car at the circus. Such hilarious carry on for us viewers. How glad was I when Lloyd and Steve repaired it so that it looked as good as new.

We do not need fewer episodes, just a new producer. Stuart Blackburn must be the worst EP ever in the history of TV soaps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Roy and the Nazir grandpa fighting over the allotment, how amusing. Allotments have lists, when you reach the top you get the first available. You do not just walk into a vacant allotment. Where I used to live, the waiting list was about 15 years long.

And as if the plot would be as pristine as that. I'd have thought a plot handed over the way it was would have needed at least a rotavator over it to get the weeds down, and so on. It would have been more realistic to have them arguing over getting it tidy before starting properly. Roy's spuds must have been growing very quickly if he was agitating about Nazir walking over them

But they made it look like something from the Chelsea Flower Show, and such superb soil as well. Pity it wasn't clay hard enough to break a spade
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zebstriker wrote: »
    Corriepedia says that their flat is in Weatherfield, and even mentions its postcode

http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/Flat_3,_Cheapstow_Road

Isn't that a remarkable coincidence? Nearly as remarkable as bringing a girl you've just met met back from holiday, and it turns out she's the sister or half-sister of someone else who lives on your short street. Does anyone know the 'postcode' of Coronation Street? I'm wondering how close the streets are supposed to be.
    chestfield wrote: »
    ..................... her picture was discovered behind the packets of peanuts behind the bar, after enough of them had been bought?

And has anyone ever bought a packet of peanuts since? It's like the "mobile phone left on table" device, only ever done when someone wants to make a fake call.
  • Options
    Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Owen grabbing Faye around the middle and kissing her and not realising that she is about eight months gone.

I thought that was going to be The Revelation Moment. No doubt the quick grope was put there for that purpose, so that everyone could laugh at the idiotic implausibility. Obviously they know the game they're playing.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We had Bethany rocking up made up like an extra from Madame Butterfly, I thought she was supposed to be mortally ill with that complexion. Conning the cab driver out of his fare, which always makes me so angry, I know it isn't real but the poor man has a living to earn! Another "fiesty" ie mouthy gobshite with an attitude problem. Is she a replacement for Katie or
    or Maddie

Gail shoving Michael's aunt into her coat and shoving her down the path, then seeing Michael and then shoving her back inside the house all without the woman making one protest. All the rubbish with the newspaper, so boring and so predictable.

Not Gavin seeing Bethany "crying" in the street and takes her into the Rovers for a drink, as if. Then we have the rest of the Platt tribe turning up, oh horror, she is underage, who would have guessed it.

Finally, we have that bad excuse for an actress Andrea throwing herself into that disgusting, dilapidated old armchair and HEY!, it collapses like a clown car at the circus. Such hilarious carry on for us viewers. How glad was I when Lloyd and Steve repaired it so that it looked as good as new.

We do not need fewer episodes, just a new producer. Stuart Blackburn must be the worst EP ever in the history of TV soaps.

^^^ Love this. :D:D:D
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Like that solved the problem. What about all the people who went to the Kabin and bought a copy?

Gail and the writers are not very bright are they? :o:D
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Yes but Fake Gavin didn't know she was only 14 and neither did Michelle who served her alcoholic drinks. It wasn't until Gail pointed it out to them all in the pub when she got there that they realised. But as you say why would he suddenly befriend this total stranger in the street and happily carry her luggage traipsing behind her to go to the pub?
    Po-faced Michelle's reaction to the whole thing was hilarious, considering all the glares she gave Bethany.

"It's a pub, Gail" (sniggers)

"She's 14"

"Not in here she's not.......get out!! If you lose me my license, blah blah"
    With fiesty Sarah working at the Rovers soon, she'll get on with Michelle and Liz like a house on fire. :kitty:
    Andrea and Michelle are bessie mates...........since when?

Can't stand sanctimonious bint Sawphie. >:(
  • Options
    roverboy1965roverboy1965 Posts: 1,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misshell laying into fake Gavin about if he costs her her licence. Well I'm sorry Missy, but its your fault for not asking for proof of age.

All pubs round here operate the under 25 scheme, and although the way she was dolled up may have passed for 18, she would never have passed as over 25 and would have been challenged and out on her cheeky ear.
  • Options
    RedpoppyRedpoppy Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the biggest SOR of all, why are we all still watching this drivel?!!

The only reason I still watch it is to enjoy the comments on this thread, which is 100% more entertaining than the actual show!
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger1 wrote: »
    Exactly there would be an uproar on DS if the actress tried to do an Italian accent for a couple of episodes. ..dare I say, they did good with the casting and without the makeup she'd be a plausible 14 year old? Well I think so anyway!

I'm puzzled about what sort of accent people expect Bethany to have. She went with her own accent fully formed and if she's been attending an international school there would be many different accents among the students. In the circumstances and living with her mother the likelihood is that she would keep her original accent.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    I was living overseas during the being run over by a tram storyline, so could anyone please tell me if the money Jenny was asking for all those years ago was money Rita had inherited from her (Jenny's) dad?
    Rita took in Jenny as a foster daughter, then met her father Alan. He was having a relationship with a Rover's barmaid while he was with Rita and tried to rape someone else. Jenny's dad had no money and tried to swindle money out of Rita by remortgaging her house so he could start a business. Rita reported him and he tried to suffocate her. She survived and he stalked her, following her to Blackpool, where he was killed by being run over by a tram.

So no Rita did not inherit any money from Jenny's father.
  • Options
    SyrenaSyrena Posts: 686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Redpoppy wrote: »
    The only reason I still watch it is to enjoy the comments on this thread, which is 100% more entertaining than the actual show!

I concur :) I didn't actually watch Corrie last night I just lurked on DS, reading all the posts here is so much better than actually watching Corrie!
    Maybe one day I shall watch again but in the meantime thank you everyone on DS for keeping me entertained. :D
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member

or Maddie

Only it its a local council run allotment
  • Options
    Ginger1Ginger1 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    I was living overseas during the being run over by a tram storyline, so could anyone please tell me if the money Jenny was asking for all those years ago was money Rita inherited from her (Jenny's) dad?

If you were living overseas for a period of time you're the ideal person to ask about accents!! So tell us did you lose your accent or pick up a new dialect? And without putting you on the spot . do you agree with bethany having a Lancashire accent despite living in milan for the last 7 years...it seems that alot of people are concerned about this ....plus the fact that this thread or any thread on DS is now considered more enjoyable than actually watching the show on TV! !....I agree with the latter :o:D
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member

or Maddie

Delete, posted twice
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were living overseas for a period of time you're the ideal person to ask about accents!! So tell us did you lose your accent or pick up a new dialect? And without putting you on the spot . do you agree with bethany having a Lancashire accent despite living in milan for the last 7 years...it seems that alot of people are concerned about this ....plus the fact that this thread or any thread on DS is now considered more enjoyable than actually watching the show on TV! !....I agree with the latter :o:D

On this subject, I was born in Coseley, just down the road from Dudley, so pretty much Black Country. However, my dad was a teacher with BFES (British Forces Education Service) so we left the area when I was around 3 and my brother was around 7, to live in Germany. We were there for around 5 years then came back to England to live in Lincolnshire, and neither of us has any hint of an accent at all!
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it seems we are not the only ones to notice a lot of anomalies in the s/l
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-reviews/coronation-street-writers-lost-plot-5377357
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member

Yes, partly in Australia so did pick up a bit of a twang! Funnily enough I was speaking to one of my Aussie friends on the phone last week and she was crying laughing at my new British accent.:D I've been back for three years, but managed to see Corrie in Oz on Fox, it was only a few weeks behind.

I was a bit surprised when Bethany spoke, kids do pick up accents really quickly, an Italian accent would be a bit silly perhaps but I would have expected her not to have such a broad dialect.

Yes, the threads on here are often more entertaining than the actual soaps, especially this one:).
  • Options
    stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On this subject, I was born in Coseley, just down the road from Dudley, so pretty much Black Country. However, my dad was a teacher with BFES (British Forces Education Service) so we left the area when I was around 3 and my brother was around 7, to live in Germany. We were there for around 5 years then came back to England to live in Lincolnshire, and neither of us has any hint of an accent at all!

I left Manchester when I was four, grew up in Northampton then went to the isle of Wight for a decade. Southerners think I have a "northern" accent, northeners think I have a "Midlands" accent, it's a mix of the two.

Bethany would still say northern words like mam or have dinner and tea but in order to integrate in school would also acquire some Italian words too, like insegnante (teacher) for example. Given her young age when she went over there she would probably be quite fluent in Italian as well.

Bilingual children here speak English with a northern accent, then speak their home languages with the given accent for that dialect, so Urdu with an Indian accent.

She just sounds like a kid from Blackpool saying a few random Italian words
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it seems we are not the only ones to notice a lot of anomalies in the s/l
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-reviews/coronation-street-writers-lost-plot-5377357

wonder if they'll take more notice of the Mirror.
    stevepjk wrote: »
    Bilingual children here speak English with a northern accent, then speak their home languages with the given accent for that dialect, so Urdu with an Indian accent.

She just sounds like a kid from Blackpool saying a few random Italian words

OT, but a former colleague, who went to school in SE London, was taught French by a Yorkshireman, which led to an interesting dialect....
This discussion has been closed.