Ever had sleep paralysis?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,364
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Have you ever experienced what is termed as "sleep paralysis" meaning you wake-up and can't move? I have and it's really not very fun. I found this article on it but I don't feel it entirely explains it, so I would love to see if any of you have any explanations on what causes it and why some of us experience it and others don't?

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/08/sleep_paralysis/

Comments

• stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you ever experienced what is termed as "sleep paralysis" meaning you wake-up and can't move? I have and it's really not very fun. I found this article on it but I don't feel it entirely explains it, so I would love to see if any of you have any explanations on what causes it and why some of us experience it and others don't?

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/08/sleep_paralysis/

Yeah, I went through a phase of having it a lot... it just seemed to stop after a while. It's quite possibly one of the most frightening things I've ever experienced.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I get it the odd time and it's terrifying. I've struggled with all my might to move, but my body's just been too relaxed to tense up enough to move. It's like my efforts to move have been so feeble that it's a no wonder I couldn't move.

Edit: I say the odd time because I normally only have straight sleeps - i.e sleeping from the moment I get to sleep to the moment I wake up for those who don't know what straight sleep means.
  • Chocolate MonkeChocolate Monke Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God knows what causes it but I've had it yes! It's not very nice but it's nothing to worry about I don't think. I think a lot of people have it at one point or another.

Still, the experience of trying really hard to open my eyes and lift my arms is a freaky one.

I seem to go through phases of it. I haven't experienced for a few months now I think about it, so it seems to come and go.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Yes, on average once every three months. Terrifying. More so now that I know an "episode" is due really soon for me. Horrible.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to have it when I was usually stressed (coming out to self, exams, dad in hospital) so maybe its stress? That article says it doesn't recur but I can get it once every four months at least.

It is the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced. As the article said it's like someone sitting on you.
  • sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    It's happened to me a couple of times. Truly scary and horrible. But I've no idea why it happened and I've no idea if it will happen again.
    Just another shitty thing I've got no control over.
    Forum Member
    ...That article says it doesn't recur but I can get it once every four months at least.

It is the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced. As the article said it's like someone sitting on you.

It does recur, it's been happening to me once every three months for about six years. It is like someone sitting on you, but I've also had the sensation that someone is dragging me around the bed by me feet and I'm helpless to stop it. It's awful.
  • ontheloop54ontheloop54 Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I often wake up stiff in the morning :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone else move their leg(s) during it? Or am I alone in that?
    Forum Member
    Can anyone else move their leg(s) during it? Or am I alone in that?

I'm always completely paralyzed, helpless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm always completely paralyzed, helpless.

hmmm...well maybe its just the length of time it takes me to get the force to kick my leg is just when the sensation is wearing down.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this I told my sister (whose a doctor) and she looked at me as if I was crazy :(

(I'm so going to have it tonight)
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes when I kip on the sofa sometimes.

If the article doesnt explain it to your satisfaction what is your thoughts on the matter?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    It's happened to me twice and both times when I've woken from a scary dream.

The first time I dreamed that there was a ghost in bed with me stroking the back of my neck. I woke up with the hairs on the back of my neck standing up and although I knew it was only a dream I was completely unable to move or make a sound for what felt like forever but was probably only 15 seconds or so.

When I eventually managed to move I turned over to face the "ghost" and clearly heard something jump off the bed and scuttle away. I thought and though about it because I don't really believe in the supernatural, and I think it must have been next door's cat jumping off their bed and my brain interpreted it as something in the room with me.

Second time the dream was about being attacked by a bloke on a bus and again, woke up paralysed yet knowing I'd been dreaming. Scary!
  • Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've experianced it before, scared the &*"! out of me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    I've had it twice. Both times I imagined I heard a noise, tried to get up to go and protect my son and found I was completely unable to move. After a while it wears off, but needless to say on both occasions I didn't sleep again that night. Thinking about it afterwards, I think I probably did hear some random noise both times and woke up so fast my brain didn't have time to tell the rest of my body, so I had to wait. I think it might run in families as I know my mum suffered from it, though she never told me until after I mentioned my first one to her! It did explain why she always slept with the light on :D
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quite a few times, yes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    yep i have had it ever since i was quite small, on average once every 6-8 weeks.
    I wake but can move nothing but my eyes, i sometimes feel someone sitting on the bed, it sometimes feels like they are trying to strangle me. It is terrifying, my throat hurts the next day with the effort of trying to scream out to wake my husband. Sometimes i hear a throbbing type noise. As i start to come out of it the figure on the bed kind of melts away, sometimes to the floor sometimes behind the bookcase or wardrobes. Eventually when i can move i'm quite often in full *fright and flight* mode and my husband usually has to grab a hold of me and hold me til i'm calm, i'm usually up and on the way out of the bedroom in sheer panic lol.
    You'd think i'd be used to it by now but it is still just as terrifying every time i get it :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not that i remember but what i do get is dreams where in the dream im struggling to scream and cant then wke myself up by screaming. Or in your dream being aware that you are trying to wake up but cant - so scary
  • EEfan24EEfan24 Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never experienced it, but those of you who have how long does it last before you can move?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was younger and was able to lie in I got it. Not for years now.
  • vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's happened to me a few times, it's terryfying. The first time I opened my eyes and there was a white girl sitting on my bed. I dreamt that I tried to touch her and my hand went through her. (but actually I was struggling to move).

The second time I was again struggling to move and there was a constant buzzing in my ears. I managed to open my eyes and there was a black devil shape thingy in front of my curtains. I closed my eyes quickly and after a few seconds I couldnt move again. (I think I've already posted about this before actually)

I think I had it again last night. I dreamt that I was sleeping on a mattress on the floor and there were mice, rats and bugs scuttling around on the floor and trying to climb into bed with me. I was trying so hard to move and hide under the covers, but couldn't.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems I'm the only one who suffers it regularly, it occurs at least on a weekly basis for me, but I rarely suffer the hallucinations/waking dreams associated with it.

I've had a few recently where I have had the hallucinations, and I have to admit, I almost wet myself from fear...

I'm not sure what causes it really, and it usually happens when I wake naturally (as in without an alarm..).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I often wake up stiff in the morning :o
    Does stiff mind? :p:rolleyes:
  • Iver HardyIver Hardy Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    I've been getting these things for years. I've learnt to not panic now and it helps and speeds up the time to come out of it.

It is a weird feeling though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iver Hardy wrote: »
    I've been getting these things for years. I've learnt to not panic now and it helps and speeds up the time to come out of it.

It is a weird feeling though.
    If you don't mind me asking, how long do they last or do you not know?