Have the police learned nothing from the G20 riots?

Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
Forum Member
✭✭
I don't know if anyone else has started a thread about this, but have the police learned nothing from the G20 debacle.

Police criticised over CS spray

Comments

• cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have a source for any wrong-doing by the Police in this case?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like some pissed up arseholes getting what they deserve.
  • Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you not watch the video?
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    Did you not watch the video?

No I'll admit that I did not watch the video. But I just have.

It does seem they were out of order to use the spray on him when he was already subdued.

An inquiry must follow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems excessive. Looks like they already had him under control. he didn't look like he was posing much of a threat prone on the bonnet of a car.
  • BRMBBRMB Posts: 3,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would think they'd know better than to spray him in full view of a street full of mobiles!

Whatver happened to good old-fashioned policing... where you chucked miscreants into the back of a wagon and gave them a good kicking out of sight?

It's hard to see exactly what caused the PC to act like that, but it seems like it was done to shut him up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it wasn't a mobile, it appears to be a full television production camera, judging by the quality of the footage. One has to question the officer's judgement and intelligence on that one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, they haven't learnt anything but then they hardly ever do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although it is difficult to see, it also appears as though the officer strikes the woman in the face. Now, to all of those who will inevitably say, "well she shouldn't be shouting at the officer," how would that be justified by smacking her in the face?
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    No I'll admit that I did not watch the video. But I just have.

It does seem they were out of order to use the spray on him when he was already subdued.

An inquiry must follow.

Agreed but no doubt Straw on someone else will comeout with the same old "Not in the public's interest" bollox.
  • The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    How much money is wasted on inquiries into the police using perfectly understandable brutality on drunken idiots? It's their job, or it used to be, until political correctness took hold. Let the police beat the shit out of drunken chavs, who does it harm?
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dealing with obnoxious drunken yobs night after night is frustrating, and demoralising, but there does not appear to be any justification for spraying in this case.

I think the thread title is a little over the top, and incidents such of this should be judged on what happened, rather than trying to suggest this is the norm.
  • lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I'm sure we all have our own opinions on the video before us, let's see what the outcome of the investigation is before we start chucking accusations.

While I think it will be hard to justify the use of CS spray in that situation there's still a possibility it was justified depending on what was happening at the time. The camera doesn't show the whole picture, only the man's face and the police officers, we don't know what else was happening.

I am not sticking up for any use of CS spray as I wasn't there and know nothing of this incident except what I saw on that video, but let's not judge the officers prematurely.

As for the comment about an 'ex police officer says...', I think they should know better and have a better understanding on the conflict resolution model and use of force before they make such comments to a news crew. I wonder if they found someone who lasted only a few weeks in to their training as a police officer before leaving, to make such a comment as an 'ex officer'.

The video doesn't doesn't look good, but I'm keeping an open mind until the investigation results are published. If that officer's done wrong then it will be dealt with appropriately, so there's no point in an online hanging at the moment, based solely on one side view of part of the incident from a camera.

I think the OP's opening comments were perhaps a tad unfair and damning of a police service which on the whole does very well and is often the envy of the world.
  • sub4ux4sub4ux4 Posts: 1,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i just came acros this video today and started another threadf on it
    not realising this one was about op
    it is a disturbing film though .
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sub4ux4 wrote: »
    i just came acros this video today and started another threadf on it
    not realising this one was about op
    it is a disturbing film though .

Yep disturbing how some women can be such drunken trash. Very classy!!
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Snakes wrote: »
    How much money is wasted on inquiries into the police using perfectly understandable brutality on drunken idiots? It's their job, or it used to be, until political correctness took hold. Let the police beat the shit out of drunken chavs, who does it harm?

Once again I am glad that you are here to highlight how idiotic it is to suggest that the police should be in the business of beating the crap out of people. Bear in mind one of those people could be a child of yours and see how you feel about it then. Until then keep posting to acentuate how badly off we would be if people like you were in charge.

A comment from you can do more for the cuase of moderation and regulation of the police force than a dozen wishy washy liberals like me so thanks for your help.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The place was on fire - people were refusing to leave and getting lairy with the police.

Maybe the police should have just left them to burn to death eh?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humphryb wrote: »
    Yep disturbing how some women can be such drunken trash. Very classy!!

sexual equality in all things humphy if we can do it so can they dont make a person trash .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dealing with obnoxious drunken yobs night after night is frustrating, and demoralising, but there does not appear to be any justification for spraying in this case.

I think the thread title is a little over the top, and incidents such of this should be judged on what happened, rather than trying to suggest this is the norm.

It may not be the norm' but with the events of G20 still fimly in peoples minds this sort of behaviour certainly seems as though it is by no means unusual.
    Personaly I feel that the G20 issues have not been resolved and it seems that these incidents are not getting any less prevalent. IMO a serious review of how police are trained and even recruited needs to be set up. Is it just that a certain type of person is atracted to police work? It may be an over simplification but it seems to me that the sort of kids who were bulies at school seem to be able to get by very well in the police force. Obviously not all police officers come from this stock but I suspect that many do. The sort of kids who were alowed to get away with prety much anything because their homework was always done and they always had the right p.e. kit. I admit to being massively subjective but it is the overal impression that can be as imoportant as anything else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    The place was on fire - people were refusing to leave and getting lairy with the police.

Maybe the police should have just left them to burn to death eh?

He was perfectly under control. All they were doing was risking antagonising other people in the crowd who might have seen them do this which can only be a bad thing when what is needed is calm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was perfectly under control. All they were doing was risking antagonising other people in the crowd who might have seen them do this which can only be a bad thing when what is needed is calm.

The venue was on fire and people were still trying to get into the building and refused to move away when asked to. Fights broke out between the drunks in the crowd and the police had to act.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Officers said they were forced to act against crowds queuing to enter the Sugar Hut Club in Essex when the partygoers refused to move away from the area....

...Police were called to the Brentwood venue - a favourite with models Jodie Marsh and Danielle Lloyd and footballers Jermaine Defoe and Teddy Sherringham - to help firefighters manage the angry crowds at the site around 8pm yesterday.

So the crowd was kicking off before the police even arrived.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1213324/Police-use-batons-revellers-refused-leave-blazing-club-wanted-Pixie-Lott.html
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may not be the norm' but with the events of G20 still fimly in peoples minds this sort of behaviour certainly seems as though it is by no means unusual.
    Personaly I feel that the G20 issues have not been resolved and it seems that these incidents are not getting any less prevalent. IMO a serious review of how police are trained and even recruited needs to be set up. Is it just that a certain type of person is atracted to police work? It may be an over simplification but it seems to me that the sort of kids who were bulies at school seem to be able to get by very well in the police force. Obviously not all police officers come from this stock but I suspect that many do. The sort of kids who were alowed to get away with prety much anything because their homework was always done and they always had the right p.e. kit. I admit to being massively subjective but it is the overal impression that can be as imoportant as anything else.

I've no idea where your theory of school bullies etc comes from:confused:

I've also no idea why you think such incidents are more prevalent. How many arrests take place everyday, without any such problems? The vast majority is the answer.

The Police attract recruits from all walks of life, and there is no one specific kind of person that joins, and certainly not the type you describe.

Over reactions during arrests do sometimes happen, and they always have, and probably more so in the past than now.

The difference now is that people are filming incidents, and we often only see selected parts of what went on, but people will judge on what is seen.

When you are dealing with the worst type of people all of the time, it can sometimes result in taking things a little too far. Fortunately, that is rare, and Officers deal with these idiots in accordance with their training.
  • lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which would be a rather naive way of looking at it really. Consider how many police officers there are in the country, consider how many are working each day and how many incidents they deal with. Now have a rethink, there's certainly no evidence to suggest that these sorts of incidents are anything other than unusual and no reason for it to seem otherwise.
    Personaly I feel that the G20 issues have not been resolved and it seems that these incidents are not getting any less prevalent.
    Since the G20 issue how many other issues of a similar nature have their been? Now compare that to the number of incidents each day handled by the police. Over reaction and hype building doesn't help anyone.
    IMO a serious review of how police are trained and even recruited needs to be set up.
    Why?

UK police are the envy of the majority of the world. Our officers are actively recruited by many other foreign countries, more than any other country's police officers, because they are recognised to be one of the best, if not the best, in the world. UK cops can go and work in Australia, New Zealand, the US, Canada to name but a few places, but there are plenty of other places also keen to take police officers from the UK in to their own forces. I think that alone highlights that there's certainly nothing wrong with the current training or recruitment because you wouldn't do that if the officers you were getting were no good.
    Is it just that a certain type of person is atracted to police work?
    No, not at all. In fact this tends to suggest you don't actually know what you are talking about to make such a statement because the intake of police officers is extremely diverse and people come from all sorts of backgrounds with all sorts of interests in to the job.
    It may be an over simplification but it seems to me that the sort of kids who were bulies at school seem to be able to get by very well in the police force.
    What an unusual statement to make. How many people do you know who were bullies at school that are now police officers?

To join the police one of the many requirements is to show examples of the 7 core competencies required to even get to the initial parts of recruitment and training. If you were of a bullying nature you'd severely struggle to do this.

There are also criminal record, intelligence checks and references carried out. Anyone even suspected of bullying wouldn't get anywhere near the job.
    Obviously not all police officers come from this stock but I suspect that many do.
    Based on what evidence?
    The sort of kids who were alowed to get away with prety much anything because their homework was always done and they always had the right p.e. kit.
    Do such kids exist? What kind of school did you go to while being dragged up? I wasn't aware it was the norm for anyone to get away with things just because they handed in homework on time and carried a pair of shorts and a TShirt :confused:
    I admit to being massively subjective but it is the overal impression that can be as imoportant as anything else.
    I would suggest that your impression of the police service may not be one that is shared by everyone and would hope that other people aren't under the impression that there's a way to get through life by getting your homework in on time and ensuring you always have a pair of shorts and a TShirt to hand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no idea where your theory of school bullies etc comes from:confused:

I've also no idea why you think such incidents are more prevalent. How many arrests take place everyday, without any such problems? The vast majority is the answer.

The Police attract recruits from all walks of life, and there is no one specific kind of person that joins, and certainly not the type you describe.

Over reactions during arrests do sometimes happen, and they always have, and probably more so in the past than now.

The difference now is that people are filming incidents, and we often only see selected parts of what went on, but people will judge on what is seen.

When you are dealing with the worst type of people all of the time, it can sometimes result in taking things a little too far. Fortunately, that is rare, and Officers deal with these idiots in accordance with their training.

and do so with no pre conceived ideas i hope