Options

Anyone Watch The Wright Stuff?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Being a student, i am a regular viewer, find it quite addictive. Has anyone noticed the same audience members seem to crop up, do they get season tickets or something. That bald guy in particular they cut to a lot (how sad am i i've noticed that:o)

I HATE some of the panelists. Carol Malone, Dominic Holland, Lowri Turner, David Van Day and Anne Diamond are all unwatchable. Anne Diamond in particular, banging on about "Britain becoming like Big Brother" etc. while at the same time demanding video games be banned....
Plus, i really have to question some people's decision on being a panelist. People like Angelica clearly have no clue about current affairs, so pick another show to plug whatever it is you're plugging!

I like Kaye Adams, Terry Christian and anyone rational really, who don't use the phrase "PC gone mad."

Dominic Holland even uttered the phrase "if this were a straight couple there'd be no fuss.." in regards to the Jan Moir article, and i sensed some awkwardness when he said something about the guest being Jewish the other day.

But what is the point in that guy in the audience, they rarely cut to him. Anyone else a fan?

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Sociologically, philosophically and psychologically I find it an interesting show much in the same vein I secretly enjoy Jeremy Kyle.
  • Options
    therightdealtherightdeal Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Terry Christian. I cannot stand that vile woman Carol Malone. Mrs Knowitall.
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    I've gone off Dominic Holland, since he described civil partnerships as 'a nonsense' I quite like Amanda Lamb on it, Terry Christian (to a point) and weirdly that Tory MP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    Re. guests, I know that studio and I know the production company is desperate. Yes, and it attacts prats who want to get on TV.
    Is Martina Hingis on this week or is it a myth?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The blond haired guy? Blatantly gay. I liked that repeating picture joke Wright did in the Private Eye Andrew Neil style.

I haven't heard that. They do bring on a lot of the same faces, i've often wondered if they struggle. Big committment of a week, not a lot of opportunity to plug, strong chance of alienating some of your fanbase or coming off thick and you might have to spend a week with Carol Malone.

I agree about Terry Christian, he can be a bit tiring, and he's hit and miss.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find Matthew Wright exceedingly sanctimonious. Like George Galloway, if a caller disagrees with him or gets the better of him in argument he talks over them and cuts them off.

He gets the same guests in all the time. Yasmin Alibhai-Brown's got a flippin' season ticket. And what's with the same people in the audience all the time?

Also he likes to criticise Jeremy Kyle for being low-brow but discusses topics like "Ladies: Does Size Matter?"
  • Options
    Toby LatimerToby Latimer Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roy Batty wrote: »
    I find Matthew Wright exceedingly sanctimonious. Like George Galloway, if a caller disagrees with him or gets the better of him in argument he talks over them and cuts them off.

He used to do it quite often , and has been criticized in the past [most notably on these pages] for doing so . I have noticed though since they came back from the summer break it's not happened yet - although he looks like he's been tempted once or twice it looks like he's a lot calmer about things lately . :)
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Yeah i agree, I used to watch it when i could, but stopped because because it seemed the callers had to agree with him or he would hang up the call and make fun of them, it was really off putting. (I was actually watching the program when Matthew told the audience in 7/7 that he got information of bombs in London, so i guess i will always remember his show.), but I watched it the other day and he is a lot calmer in that respect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    as i hate free speech i agree that only left wing pannellists should be allowed on the Wright stuff. how dare people like dominc holland have an opinion.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    Roy Batty wrote: »

He gets the same guests in all the time. Yasmin Alibhai-Brown's got a flippin' season ticket. And what's with the same people in the audience all the time?

Also he likes to criticise Jeremy Kyle for being low-brow but discusses topics like "Ladies: Does Size Matter?"
    I'd like to see anybody get the better of George Galloway in an argument!
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    lulu g wrote: »
    I'd like to see anybody get the better of George Galloway in an argument!

Rula Lenska?
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The blond haired guy? Blatantly gay. I liked that repeating picture joke Wright did in the Private Eye Andrew Neil style.

Nothing wrong with being blatantly gay. He's also a Conservative and talks a lot about his political views. Apparently, Dr Bull is known to be gay privately but doesn't make much of an issue about it. Whether that's because of his politics, I don't know. It's not supposed to be an issue these days, even in the Conservatives.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_dr_david_bull_gay

yes, but not openly. ive met david on a few occasions and have also have had the pleasure of seeing what many have not. i live in brighton and david has just bought a flat slap bang in the town centre. i also have seen him i G-A-Y And revenge in brighton, in many a compromising posistion!. that said he's a really nice guy, is passionate about his work, politics etc and alougth is not open about his sexuality i can understand why he doesnt want the public attention , also i think to most - its pretty damn obvious! dave lets say isnt the paticulary butch and has a very camp persona
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He used to do it quite often , and has been criticized in the past [most notably on these pages] for doing so . I have noticed though since they came back from the summer break it's not happened yet - although he looks like he's been tempted once or twice it looks like he's a lot calmer about things lately . :)

Perhaps his medication's kicked in.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been watching regularly for about 5 or 6 years or so now, it's quite easy going TV for the mid-morning, agreed that Matthew can be a tad arrogant here or there, but I like the show. I can't abide when George Galloway appears, not a fan of Lowri Turner either.

I don't like the new format they've had since their Summer break, having a natter and then taking upto 25 minutes and an ad-break before they start the Paper review.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to, but hes so incredibly smug that I cant watch him anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julie1222 wrote: »
    as i hate free speech i agree that only left wing pannellists should be allowed on the Wright stuff. how dare people like dominc holland have an opinion.

Yawn. Find me the quote where i demand Holland be banned from the show. For me, you can't excuse calling civil partnerships nonsense and calling that Moir article political correctness gone mad as being right wing, it's old fashion ignorance and idiocy (remember, he wasn't even calling gay marriage nonsense, which as a catholic you could have some defense for). I wonder if he came on and said interracial couples getting married was nonsense you'd defend his views as right wing.

I don't mind right wing panelists being on the show, brings variety and debate, especially if its someone as classically right leaning as Carol Thatcher. I remember on the "devil children case" her response was basically "lock them up and throw away the key" and the guy next to her completely shot that view down as misjudged rubbish (don't want to get into a debate on that btw.)
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with being blatantly gay. He's also a Conservative and talks a lot about his political views. Apparently, Dr Bull is known to be gay privately but doesn't make much of an issue about it. Whether that's because of his politics, I don't know. It's not supposed to be an issue these days, even in the Conservatives. [/I]

I never said there was thank you!

I do think phone callers that disagree with him are usually hushed up fast or scrutinized to a point where they fall apart on live TV, but as the guy is usually fairly rational and undecided in his views (except on his breeding stuff, he spews absolute crap on that), the kind of caller that is disagreeing with him are "PC gone mad" types. Not always, but the callers very often don't seem to have a clear idea of what they're saying and a couple questions in will be backtracking. For a presenter doing a debate show, that must get frustrating after a while.
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i used to love that show but it seems to me he is so big headed now so i dont watch it like i used to i qite like it when brian conley was on the panel he jad his good wit and was serious too
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've watched the show on and off over the years. Some of the topics have really dumbed down in recent times - sign of the times, probably. The guest panellists are often quite hit and miss as well.

Matthew has never been particularly tolerant of other people's viewpoints; he may think it's an amusing tactic and granted the occasional caller can be rather 'eccentric' but there are many with relevant comments who just get cut off mid-sentence.

I think the format has become a bit of a mess these days - far too much chatter, paper reviewing and intros, leaving them with barely ten minutes per topic. They should make more time for the discussions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    I've enjoyed Tracy Ann Oberman and the female poker player (not sure what she's called) this week. Dominic has annoyed me (especially about the child benefit issue).
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to, but then stopped when Matthew Wright started becoming arrogant. He might have changed now, but can't be bothered to find out.
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yewtree wrote: »
    I've enjoyed Tracy Ann Oberman and the female poker player (not sure what she's called) this week. Dominic has annoyed me (especially about the child benefit issue).

I agree, Tracy has been an excellent panelist this week, I would like her to be on more often, she talks sense.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    take all these opinions as a pinch of salt, they debate almost anything but to what end? oh I disapprove of single parents especially gay ones (Dominic Holland), oh no I think they have things hard (Janet Ellis), put yourself in their shoes (Matthew Wright)......... result 3 people who disagree then off to the phone lines (cue single parent mum feeling bitter up in Newcastle) end result a confused audience??

Rehash using next days newspaper headlines ad infinitum :)
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Being a student, i am a regular viewer, find it quite addictive. Has anyone noticed the same audience members seem to crop up, do they get season tickets or something. That bald guy in particular they cut to a lot (how sad am i i've noticed that:o)

I HATE some of the panelists. Carol Malone, Dominic Holland, Lowri Turner, David Van Day and Anne Diamond are all unwatchable. Anne Diamond in particular, banging on about "Britain becoming like Big Brother" etc. while at the same time demanding video games be banned....
    Plus, i really have to question some people's decision on being a panelist. People like Angelica clearly have no clue about current affairs, so pick another show to plug whatever it is you're plugging!

I like Kaye Adams, Terry Christian and anyone rational really, who don't use the phrase "PC gone mad."

Dominic Holland even uttered the phrase "if this were a straight couple there'd be no fuss.." in regards to the Jan Moir article, and i sensed some awkwardness when he said something about the guest being Jewish the other day.

But what is the point in that guy in the audience, they rarely cut to him. Anyone else a fan?[/QUOTE]

Eric Johnson. He's hot. I really fancy him.
  • Options
    DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    Tracy Ann O is a legend!!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    George lost his argument with P tatchel over the iran hangings of gays,he said it was for child abuse,that turned out to be not true and Galloway never apologised over it..:eek:
This discussion has been closed.