No two min silance on ITV

neyney Posts: 12,516
Forum Member
✭✭
I think its bad that they still showed murder she wrote during the two min silence. They could have went to an ad break and had a two min silence then.
BBC 1,BBC 2, Channel 4 and Channel 5 plus all the radio stations had the two min silence.
ITV should have had the two min silence as well.

Darren

Comments

• ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't ITV observe the silence on Armistice Day which is Tuesday ?
  • taskertasker Posts: 4,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    I think its bad that they still showed murder she wrote during the two min silence. They could have went to an ad break and had a two min silence then.
    BBC 1,BBC 2, Channel 4 and Channel 5 plus all the radio stations had the two min silence.

Darren

Totally agree i was surprised, yes it is not the 11th but remembrance Sunday is shown the same respect.
    Well not by ITV anyway, very bad showing in a day and age when everybody is trying to put respect back into the country and especially this year of all years.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even the Sky Sports channels carried Sky News coverage of the silence.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tasker wrote: »
    Totally agree i was surprised, yes it is not the 11th but remembrance Sunday is shown the same respect.
    Well not by ITV anyway, very bad showing in a day and age when everybody is trying to put respect back into the country and especially this year of all years.

I think you'll find the word "everybody" is somewhat of an over-estimate.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They used to show all the Cenotaph event on the Sunday.

Possibly it doesn't need competition as David Dimbley does a good job.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It reflects badly on ITV that they don't have a single event or programme to mark Remembrance Day - I'm sure a few years ago they used to televise a service from a country church somewhere but I don't think they've ever televised the Cenotaph, the BBC have been doing it since 1947 !
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Darren

So you spent the two minutes of remembrance channel surfing to find out who wasn't adhering to your demand for compliance? Will you be doing the same on Tuesday?
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    REgarding Murder She Wrote, im guessing it isnt just asxeasy to break Into a programme for a 2 minute alience, if the said pnrogramme, diesnt have an add break innthat position of the show.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tasker wrote: »

At one time they would also cover a Remembrance Ceremony from somewhere, I think STV usually did one in Scotland.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr who also has The Silence .....
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    They used to show all the Cenotaph event on the Sunday.

Possibly it doesn't need competition as David Dimbley does a good job.

Yeah, I was expecting to see the Cenotaph ceremony on Sky News this morning only to find Dermot Murnaghan's show on air as normal instead.

It wouldn't be that only the BBC has the rights to screen it these days, would it?
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    Even yesterday's football matches respected the silence before the live matches and also in the Sky complete recording of Man U v. Palace, when in the latter case they could easily have made a case for editing the silence (or part of it) out.

Now I am no Sky supporter, far from it, but that's respect. As a major PSB, ITV's actions if as reported in this thread (I didn't see it) were disrespectful, no ifs, no buts.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    So you spent the two minutes of remembrance channel surfing to find out who wasn't adhering to your demand for compliance? Will you be doing the same on Tuesday?

I will be a work on Tuesday from about 11am. I never had the sound on the TV. I had the radio on for the two min silence. I just think that every main TV channel should have the two minutes silance on remembrance Sunday.

Darren
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose ITV's only defence is that they thought people who were with them watching 'Murder She Wrote' wouldn't be that interested in the silence and observing it.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno if anyone else noticed it but after the silence I distinctly heard a mobile going off in the crowd just as Prince William was laying his wreath. Can't these idiots keep their phones switched off for fifteen minutes??
  • BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't see what the problem is really. ITV are rightly observing the silence on the proper day, we're not all Christians believe it or not.

I will observe it on Tuesday at work, I think it is more significant stopping on a busy weekday morning than on a Sunday when most people are in the house.
    Forum Member
    Bahtat wrote: »
    Don't see what the problem is really. ITV are rightly observing the silence on the proper day, we're not all Christians believe it or not.

I will observe it on Tuesday at work, I think it is more significant stopping on a busy weekday morning than on a Sunday when most people are in the house.

It isn't a commemoration of Christianity or any other religion, it's a commemoration of the contribution of British and Commonwealth military and civilian servicemen and women in the two World Wars and later conflicts.

And the 'proper day' has for nearly 20 years been accepted as both the Sunday and the 11th, if different.
  • BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    It isn't a commemoration of Christianity or any other religion, it's a commemoration of the contribution of British and Commonwealth military and civilian servicemen and women in the two World Wars and later conflicts.

And the 'proper day' has for nearly 20 years been accepted as both the Sunday and the 11th, if different.

Thank you I'm well aware of that and as I said I will be paying my respects on Tuesday along with most other countries. Britain as far as I'm aware is the only country that officially marks it on a Sunday in it's obsession with being a 'Christian country' which I refuse to be taken in by.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Darren

If people want to do the 2 min silence, then there is a mute button or off button. simply fixed,
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,788
    Forum Member
    We dont live in a fascist country, it should be left to individuals to decide if they wish to observe the 2 minutes silence or not, so not all tv channels should force it upon you.

It's called choice, one of the things the soldiers lost their lives to uphold.
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What has being Christian got to do with it? It's about remembrance and respect for fallen soldiers!
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Yeah, I was expecting to see the Cenotaph ceremony on Sky News this morning only to find Dermot Murnaghan's show on air as normal instead.

It wouldn't be that only the BBC has the rights to screen it these days, would it?

SKY News covered it from about 10.45 until 11.55 - i watched their coverage as the picture seemed sharper than the BBC One HD version
    Forum Member
    Thank you I'm well aware of that and as I said I will be paying my respects on Tuesday along with most other countries. Britain as far as I'm aware is the only country that officially marks it on a Sunday in it's obsession with being a 'Christian country' which I refuse to be taken in by.

You clearly aren't "well aware of that", as you've just repeated it.

The Sunday remembrance is, IIRC, because fewer people are at work on that day and more, therefore, will be free to observe it. The change to Sunday was made in 1947 by the Commonwealth so "that full opportunity would be afforded persons who wished to lay wreaths at cenotaphs or war memorials. Where it was customary, memorial church services would be held and churches were invited to arrange services to enable, where practicable, the observance of the period of two minutes' silence between 11 a.m. and 12 a.m."

The church thing was not the reason for it, it was just an invitation to participate that the change made possible for them. The 11th was added back in 1995.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    I suppose ITV's only defence is that they thought people who were with them watching 'Murder She Wrote' wouldn't be that interested in the silence and observing it.

It is not as if they did not have any notice. They could easily have planned their schedule so there would be a programme junction at 11:00h. Everyone else seems to manage it.

Very disrespectful. I wonder if the Daily Mail will criticise them, ooops no, it's not the BBC so probably not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    You clearly aren't "well aware of that", as you've just repeated it.

The Sunday remembrance is, IIRC, because fewer people are at work on that day and more, therefore, will be free to observe it.

And all the ATC, Sea Cadets, Army Cadet Corps who would have get off school.

I noticed that the local war memorial had a Guard of Honour on Saturday. When I went past it was ATC but all three could have been involved at different times.