Lady Di

123457»

Comments

• Options
    nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    It's a tough one but I think that you may have misinterpreted her post and that she may have been saying that she thinks Diana is such a careful driver that the car wouldn't have crashed had she been driving instead of Henry Paul therefore it would have been preferable for her to drive rather than her asserting that Diana was actually driving the car at the time.

That's exactly what I meant.^_^
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    It's a tough one but I think that you may have misinterpreted her post and that she may have been saying that she thinks Diana is such a careful driver that the car wouldn't have crashed had she been driving instead of Henry Paul therefore it would have been preferable for her to drive rather than her asserting that Diana was actually driving the car at the time.

I understand your point. The sentence could be read that way, but it wouldn't be the first interpretation one gave it. Especially a pedant like me.

It might have been more obvious as : "........it would have been better had diana been driving it". Making clear the sentence is in the subjunctive rather than the active (I think).
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I found the whole saga of Diana very interesting as I watched her grow up, work as a Royal and have children. She was so very young when she married Charles and we all believed the PR from the Palace that they were madly in love etc. So a lot of us thought we knew her but although sad and upset when she died, I did not go to Hyde Park, or stand outside the Palace wailing!!!!

I think there has been a HUGE campaign to discredit Diana since she died, especially now Charles is working so manically to get Camilla accepted as his Queen. I have been shocked by some of the books written by Penny Junor etc suggesting Diana was mentally ill. I think she coped as best she could with a dreadful situation, your husband in love with another woman, discarding you when you produce the heir and spare, the constant attention of the media as you pretend to be in a Fairy Tale of a Royal Marriage. If she had been as unbalanced as they are NOW trying to indicate, she would have probably killed Charles!!! There is nothing worse in a breakdown of a marriage than total disinterest from your partner. She was supposed to produce the kids and shut up, basically. My goodness, Charles' mistress chose his bride!!! Charles always gets what he wants and he will make Camilla his Queen, regardless of how the general public feel!!

Camilla whatever her title after Charles is crowned will technically be Queen Consort to give her any other title is just pandering to those who cannot accept his second marriage, probably the same people who would expect people to accept their second marriage if their first was unhappy.

As for Diana, she was a lovely lady in many respects and she did a great deal of good and brought awareness to so many worthwhile matters. However the public Diana like all of us was a very different person to the private one who was in that marriage deeply unhappy after a while , she wanted the fairy tale of love and happiness and she did not get it and to live without it was not for her . It is from eye witness reports painfully obvious that her anxiety and unhappiness did lead to some depression which is a mental health issue, was she barmy no was she suffering of course, people do not throw themselves down stairs of become bulimic for fun or when they are happy and stable.

As for the public, well if they take a long hard look they too have a lot to answer for , they demand certain things, they demand to see happiness and perfection rather than realise that like anyone else the Royals are flawed . Take Prince George, there are some who say we do not see enough of him and as he is a Royal he should be in public more , he is a small child what the hell are they on. Then we take William and Kate, it to me is obvious the establishment is letting them do their own thing to a certain extent , for example they are not having to attend Christmas for the whole thing or forced to spend all summer at Balmoral without Kate seeing her family , the mistake made with past Royal brides cutting them off from their family the minute the ring is on, so this time they are letting things go naturally and are I assume hoping for a long and happy marriage by doing so,. What do the public and media read into that, that Kate's family are above themselves or there is some kind of rift with the Queen, they cannot just accept things are actually normal and ok.

So to my mind whilst Charles was not the loving husband he should have been, Diana was not perfect either and the public also play a large part in what goes on.