Options

Big mistakes in television history

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    The last Jonathan Creek - the Judas Tree. Awful. I suspect that went wrong at the editing stage. It was like they shot a two-hour episode and were then told, 'Oh, didn't you realise it's a 90-minute slot' and had to cut a load out of it. There were some pretty major plot points that were never resolved.

I hope it's not the last one they ever make because it's like the Fat Elvis stage of Jonathan Creek's lifespan. So with any luck they'll make one or two more really good ones before calling it a day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    CEThom wrote: »
    The last Jonathan Creek - the Judas Tree. Awful. I suspect that went wrong at the editing stage. It was like they shot a two-hour episode and were then told, 'Oh, didn't you realise it's a 90-minute slot' and had to cut a load out of it. There were some pretty major plot points that were never resolved.

I hope it's not the last one they ever make because it's like the Fat Elvis stage of Jonathan Creek's lifespan. So with any luck they'll make one or two more really good ones before calling it a day.
    New Jonathan Creek episode with @Sheridansmith1 will shoot early in 2013

https://twitter.com/alandavies1/status/242961721566834689
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aha! Great news! Fingers crossed it's better than the Judas Tree.

Another big mistake in TV history, though, was losing Maddie from Jonathan Creek. The whole show revolved around her chemistry with Jonathan and it lost a spark when she left.

Other TV clangers include:

-The introduction of the audience at X Factor auditions
    -The hiring of Cheryl Cole as a judge
    -The installation of Bryan Kirkwood at Eastenders
    -The casting of David 'grinning is acting!' Tennant in Dr Who (and anything else)
    -The axing of Jonathan Ross's BBC1 chat show
    -The commissioning of Jonathan Ross's ITV1 chat show
    -The axing of Jo Brand's Hot Potatoes
    -The commissioning of Charlotte Church's chat show
    -The commissioning of Lily Allen's chat show
    -The commissioning of Alan Titchmarsh's chat show
    -The commissioning of Antony Cotton's chat show
    -The loss of Grissom from CSI: Vegas (the Fishbourne era was terrible but Danson has revived it)
    -Everything about CSI: Miami
    -Everything about Law & Order: Criminal Intent (It is the Miami of the Law & Order franchise)
    -The fact that Who Wants To Be A Millionaire wasn't killed off at least five years ago
    -The continued employment of Bruce Forsythe
    -The fact that Monkey Dust series two and three have still never received a DVD release

I won't be able to sleep tonight. More and more will keep occurring to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The loss of Blankety Blank with Lily Savage!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Season two of Twin Peaks!
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True that.
    It was a gripping, if somewhat inaccurate, show that deserved a second series as it had a lot of potential.
    There were 3 seasons of Deadwood.

Oops.:o
    I meant, of course, more series set after the election.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bits I have highlighted are my particular bugbears. I will probably think of more as I go on! Sorry for using your list.

-The casting of David 'grinning is acting!' Tennant in Dr Who (and anything else)

-The loss of Grissom from CSI: Vegas (the Fishbourne era was terrible but Danson has revived it)
    -Everything about Law & Order: Criminal Intent (It is the Miami of the Law & Order franchise)
    -The fact that Who Wants To Be A Millionaire wasn't killed off at least five years ago

-The fact that Monkey Dust series two and three have still never received a DVD release
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    For me personally - The rescheduling of Still Game ( imho one of the best comedies in the last ten years) to a different time each week on BBC2 after 11pm the death knell for many a good show.
    For society in general - The long list of shows such as Location Location Location, To Buy or not to Buy, etc. Shows that told us all that anybody could be a property developer and we should all jump on the band wagon, resulting in people buying 2 or 3 flats with 100% mortgages and when the shit hit the fan we all had to pay, even those of us who didn't play the game.
    They went a bit quiet when it all went wrong but they are back at it again now .:mad:
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yogib wrote: »

Oh, that's good news.....I'm sure I read an interview with AD recently where he said new episodes were unlikely as the beeb wanted to do them on a budget of fifty quid.

I always thought the beeb setting their glamorous new soap Triangle on a ferry ploughing the North Sea was a hilariously bad decision....Kate O'Mara sunning herself on the deck whilst sodden deckhands in souwesters blew past
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV's Nigella Lawson cooking and chatting show - they discovered she couldn't cook and ask questions at the same time.

The BBC's Davina chat show where millions of viewers turned off.

The original Daybreak I guess where ITV got rid of a winning format and brought in a losing one.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wiping tapes of so many of great Tv shows

But what would you do if you we're in charge back then? With tapes being so expensive, also the culture then with many TV viewers was that if you missed a programme you missed it forever.
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    This. The "other three" were were favourite of the five, too!

Yes, they were always more likeable than Gwen and Jack!

Getting whoever it was that wrote Hunted and Outcasts, to write them. Two shows with potential but ruined by the appalling writing. Embarrassing!
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    But what would you do if you we're in charge back then? With tapes being so expensive, also the culture then with many TV viewers was that if you missed a programme you missed it forever.

Recordings of clearly historic events were indeed kept - the Coronation, Churchill's funeral, the 1966 World Cup final are all intact. Not as many programmes were wiped as some people seem to think - the BBC has all but three of the 80 episodes of Dad's Army (1968-77) and all 9 series of the Morecambe and Wise Show (1968-1977), only the very first episode is not complete.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The mistaken identity situation where a taxi driver somehow ended up on live TV on BBC News 24 being interviewed about his opinion on the happenings in Iran or somewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any TV show which thinks that having a Christmas tree visible in the background suddenly transforms their TV show into a 'Christmas Special'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Another big mistake in TV history, though, was losing Maddie from Jonathan Creek. The whole show revolved around her chemistry with Jonathan and it lost a spark when she left.

Other TV clangers include:

I won't be able to sleep tonight. More and more will keep occurring to me.
    ftv wrote: »
    ITV's Nigella Lawson cooking and chatting show - they discovered she couldn't cook and ask questions at the same time.

The BBC's Davina chat show where millions of viewers turned off.

The original Daybreak I guess where ITV got rid of a winning format and brought in a losing one.

All of the BOB I'll categorize as the same mistake.

TV channels thinking that simply by virtue of spotting somebody they perceive as probably being popular they will somehow automatically possess the required skills necessary to front a TV chat show on their own.
    According to them; Popularity = Talented chat show host.

Why do they keep believing this when as demonstrated by the list posted by the two posters above when they keep doing it the results often end in abject failure?
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    When 'Who Wants To Be A millionaire' was a hit, so ITV started carpet bombing their schedule with it, at the expense of other show,s which were shunted around.

Changing The Bill from an excellent, police procedural show, to a ridiculous overblown drama, where every week seemed to feature either a copper being attacked by a nutter, or a copper being a nutter.

Yes. To employ the old cliche, it went off after the 'walking boots' intro disappeared and the series became basically a soap, complete with ridiculous, overblown plots and 'issues'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wiseguy100 wrote: »
    the Wii came out in 2006!

That long ago?! :cry:

It only seems like yesterday I was hammering my family at a game of tennis. Six years? Really? ... :(
  • Options
    celebmaniacelebmania Posts: 537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Killing of Letitia Cropley in The Vicar of Dibley - especially before The Christmas Incident episode - there was so many possibilities for Geraldine to go to her for a fifth dinner and taste some of her notorious concoctions!
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »

Changing The Bill from an excellent, police procedural show, to a ridiculous overblown drama, where every week seemed to feature either a copper being attacked by a nutter, or a copper being a nutter.

Agree with this, went from unmissable to unwatchable in about 12 months

C4 commisioning Sunday Brunch and giving Simon and Dim 2 and a half hours to talk rubbish every Sunday morning, SFTW was quite enjoyable but the quality control on SB is atrocious, hope c4 didnt pay much for it.
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    The Royal Family returns have been rather hit and miss too.

Actually, I rather liked the Jubilee and I always watch Queenie on Christmas Day.

Not so sure about the Royle Family though. :D
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Whoever told Micky Flanagan he was funny and then booked him for countless panel shows.

Jack Whitehall and James Corden

Allowing frankie Boyle to leave mock the week was a big mistake, same with Lamarr then Amstell leaving buzzcocks.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The name Maddie and chemistry with her partner takes me to Maddie Hayes and the chemistry with David Addison, one of tv's great partnerships.

Hayes and Addison were of course Cybil Sheperd and Bruce Willis in Moonlighting, a programme that at its best was as good as anything in the last 30 years, but when it allowed huge egos to take over, crashed and burnt badly.

So to bring it back on topic, a series,such as Moonlighting, where the magic has ended, but still continues with at least one or two series too many.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wiping there tapes in the 1960's,1970's and in once case in the 1990's.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Changing the focus of seeing the dancers and professionals in training on SCD, to the most unfunny comedy sketches imaginable.Who on earth thought this was a good idea?

Trying to make Dara Obrein into a science presenter, and the show similar to top gear.

S4C, not even the welsh watch it.

Any sitcom with Frank Skinner.

Miranda Hart.

That Anthony Cotton Show