Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 47)

Comments

• Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Might go 5-2-2-1 (or is it 3-4-2-1?) like Netherlands were playing at the World Cup? Mata, Di Maria, Januzaj, possibly even Rooney at times competing for 2 AM positions. (Assuming Shinji goes).

I think that's an option for difficult away games.

I thought Work Permits were still on the basis of the country has to be in the top so many in the FIFA rankings and the player has to have played a certain percentage of games in the last so many years. Even then they could appeal the decision. I could be wrong but I think that was how it worked at one point anyway. Vidal would be fine if it's still anything like that.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    I thought Work Permits were still on the basis of the country has to be in the top so many in the FIFA rankings and the player has to have played a certain percentage of games in the last so many years. Even then they could appeal the decision. I could be wrong but I think that was how it worked at one point anyway. Vidal would be fine if it's still anything like that.

Yeah, top 70 Countries, no problem there for Argentinians or Chileans!

Vidal should be OK on the other main point, The player must have participated in at least 75% of his home country’s senior competitive international matches where he was available for selection during the two years preceding the date of the application. Not sure about Rojo though, maybe that's the problem and he's having to appeal? Or I wonder if it's anything to do with his posing behind that 'Malvinas' banner a while back? The Home Office wouldn't like that!
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank guys for helping to clear up the work-permit situation for me, I now have a much better understanding of it.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Zaha has gone back to Palace.

I think Zaha is going to go down as our most bizarre signing ever.

He will go down in history at Sir Alex's last ever signing & to say that he signed for us at the wrong time is an understatement.

I was looking forward to seeing how he did for us, but there is obviously something going on in the background.

Moyes didn't rate him when our midfield creativity was at rock bottom & it looks like Van Gaal doesn't rate him either & our midfield creativity is still poor.

We need to just sell him so that he can get on with his career & life.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He will go down in history at Sir Alex's last ever signing & to say that he signed for us at the wrong time is an understatement.

I was looking forward to seeing how he did for us, but there is obviously something going on in the background.

Moyes didn't rate him when our midfield creativity was at rock bottom & it looks like Van Gaal doesn't rate him either & our midfield creativity is still poor.

I think that it speaks volumes that he could barely get a game at Cardiff, either.

Solskjaer must have seen the same problems as Moyes and Van Gaal. He's clearly a talented lad, but I agree that something just can't be right with him.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    I think that it speaks volumes that he could barely get a game at Cardiff, either.

Solskjaer must have seen the same problems as Moyes and Van Gaal. He's clearly a talented lad, but I agree that something just can't be right with him.

His ego is the problem, just like ravels is/was.

All this money they earn makes them think about training/playing well.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit concerned that even Roy Hodgson has said Shaw had fitness issues with England.

How on earth did he actually manage to pass the medical?

I'm starting to get more and more disillusioned with the medical side of the club.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    Bit concerned that even Roy Hodgson has said Shaw had fitness issues with England.

I'm starting to get more and more disillusioned with the medical side of the club.

Unless it is a "close season" thing, I really don't understand the issue. It's not like it affected his performances last season.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »

Classic case of media spin. Roy was asked a question about Shaw and the media either expected him to contradict Van Gaal comment or seemingly slate Shaw.

I don't think either manager has stated that Shaw is unfit, just that he would need increase his stamina for wingback role (for United) or that he's a growing lad (as Roy stated).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most bizarre signing ever?

Wow that is as big statement considering some possible alternatives that could also be put up for that award, Bebe, Dong, Djemba-Djemba, even Jordi Cruyff could all be included I would say!

I don't think Zaha was that bizarre a signing when we did sign him, he had shown some good form Palace, and was making his way through the ranks at international level, and he did look like a player who just needed a bit of polishing to become a very good player.

Sadly, for whatever reason or reasons, this just has not worked either for him or us, if or more likely when he does leave us on a permanent or full-time basis, I will wish him well, and good luck with his career, his wasn't the first transfer that didn't quite live up to expectations, nor will it be the last.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    His ego is the problem, just like ravels is/was.

All this money they earn makes them think about training/playing well.

Wasn't there that story about Zaha this summer, where LvG said that the players could come in and do some extra training if they wanted to, and Zaha was the only one who didn't, (or something along those lines?), I think that shows a bad attitude, you should be eager to want to impress the new manager, not just be comfortable doing your own thing, at your own convenience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is another reason for Rojo's work-permit issues:-
    Check out @RorySmithTimes's Tweet: https://twitter.com/RorySmithTimes/status/505327630561054721
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most bizarre signing ever?

Wow that is as big statement considering some possible alternatives that could also be put up for that award, Bebe, Dong, Djemba-Djemba, even Jordi Cruyff could all be included I would say!

Sadly, for whatever reason or reasons, this just has not worked either for him or us, if or more likely when he does leave us on a permanent or full-time basis, I will wish him well, and good luck with his career, his wasn't the first transfer that didn't quite live up to expectations, nor will it be the last.

I'm pretty sure that Syntax Error didn't mean that it was literally 'the most bizarre transfer ever'.

Still, any excuse to try a bit of one-upmanship, eh?
    Wasn't there that story about Zaha this summer, where LvG said that the players could come in and do some extra training if they wanted to, and Zaha was the only one who didn't, (or something along those lines?), I think that shows a bad attitude, you should be eager to want to impress the new manager, not just be comfortable doing your own thing, at your own convenience.

Yes. And you know that there was.
  • Options
    ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, greek news sites are reporting that Javier Hernandez is moving on loan to Juventus for the season with an option to buy for £12m.
    Mind you, greek news sites are never renowned for their accuracy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that Syntax Error didn't mean that it was literally 'the most bizarre transfer ever'.

Still, any excuse to try a bit of one-upmanship, eh?

Yes. And you know that there was.

There was no attempt of one-upmanship on my behalf at all, I was merely commenting on a post by another poster, I never meant for it to sound like it was at all.

As for your second point, yes there was a story, but I couldn't quite remember the exact story, hence why I questioned if I had it exactly correct.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, greek news sites are reporting that Javier Hernandez is moving on loan to Juventus for the season with an option to buy for £12m.
    Mind you, greek news sites are never renowned for their accuracy.

If true, I wonder if that might help us with a midfielder of theirs we have an interest in?

Similar to Kagawa and Dortmund.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rojo has a criminal record lol. That scout is so getting fired.

LVG: "So Mangala has gone to City. Garay went to Zenit for a pittance, Dortmund laughed at us and Woodie ****ed up with Vermaelen. Who else is there?"

Scout: "Well there's Marcos Rojo. Played for Argentina in the World Cup. Likes to be inventive with his clearances. Currently part-owned by a 3rd party but I believe his signing would be worth it"

LVG: "Ah yes Rojo! Good...Yes...Anything else I should know about him?

Scout: "Well he has 2 crap tattoos on his legs"

LVG: "Anything else?"

Scout: "Nope. Nope, that is it."

LVG: "I'll get Woodie on it right away"
  • Options
    Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Rojo has a criminal record lol. That scout is so getting fired.

LVG: "So Mangala has gone to City. Garay went to Zenit for a pittance, Dortmund laughed at us and Woodie ****ed up with Vermaelen. Who else is there?"

Scout: "Well there's Marcos Rojo. Played for Argentina in the World Cup. Likes to be inventive with his clearances. Currently part-owned by a 3rd party but I believe his signing would be worth it"

LVG: "Ah yes Rojo! Good...Yes...Anything else I should know about him?

Scout: "Well he has 2 crap tattoos on his legs"

LVG: "Anything else?"

Scout: "Nope. Nope, that is it."

LVG: "I'll get Woodie on it right away"

He bottled someone I think and they want him back for a court appearance. Whether anything comes of it I dunno, you'd hope that you've done your homework on the situation.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If true about the bottling, It's wrong of course, but I somehow admire that from an aggressive defensive view.

A defender to fear!
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the likes of Kagawa, Welbeck, Cleverley, Zaha and Hernandez ALL go, either your manager's going to be very busy shaking hands with new players in the next 72 hours or so or your squad's looking alarmingly thin. I know some aren't deemed good enough for the first team but you need some depth before you have to resort to youth/U21 players?

As for those calling Welbeck dreadful, the only dreadful aspect is his goals return. He seems to have all the attributes for a decent player but for some reason doesn't get in the positions to put chances away i.e have a striker's instinct for being in the right place at the right time.

Lastly, those citing Rojo's "aggression" as a positive had better not be the same fans who were moralising about the likes of Suarez, Barton and Balotelli... :D I can imagine the furore if any of those players had been formally charged for glassing someone :o Has the transfer actually gone through? Can United pull out if the PL or whoever don't sanction it and/or a work permit?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    If the likes of Kagawa, Welbeck, Cleverley, Zaha and Hernandez ALL go, either your manager's going to be very busy shaking hands with new players in the next 72 hours or so or your squad's looking alarmingly thin. I know some aren't deemed good enough for the first team but you need some depth before you have to resort to youth/U21 players?

As for those calling Welbeck dreadful, the only dreadful aspect is his goals return. He seems to have all the attributes for a decent player but for some reason doesn't get in the positions to put chances away i.e have a striker's instinct for being in the right place at the right time.

Lastly, those citing Rojo's "aggression" as a positive had better not be the same fans who were moralising about the likes of Suarez, Barton and Balotelli... :D I can imagine the furore if any of those players had been formally charged for glassing someone :o Has the transfer actually gone through? Can United pull out if the PL or whoever don't sanction it and/or a work permit?

After their stellar performance in the League Cup, I'd imagine that Van Gaal is happy for those players to leave, knowing that we have such fantastic back-up in the youth teams.

Seriously though, I can't see all of them going over this weekend. As you say, we're already far too light for a mass exodus.

As for Rojo, he didn't do it on the pitch, if he did it at all, so I don't know the context of this 'bottling'.
  • Options
    happymonkeyhappymonkey Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He is dreadful & it's not just his goal return!

He runs around like a headless chicken & cause he's got pace people say his positional play is excellent!

Utter bullcr*p! The sooner he's shown the door the better! I'm gonna get myself slung from Old Trafford soon if he stays cause my screaming & swearing at him is gonna hit nuclear levels...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am not one of those saying Welbeck is dreadful, I think he suits our style quite well, and is a good foil for the other strikers that we still have ast the club, as you say his goalscoring record is not exactly up at Messi levels, but as long as he has other attributes that are good enough, his goalscoring gets a pass from me.
    Plus he has hardly played up front in the main strikers role, so his goalscoring chances will not be as often as someone like RvP for example, whose game is mostly about being that last man, the one tasked with scoring that through ball.

I don't personally think all of the players that you mention will all go by the close of the window, not without any proper replacements at any rate, as even though I am a big proponent of the younger players, we still could do with a bit of experience in the squad to help those younger players adapt and develop at the first team level.

As for any possible trial or anything of that nature with Rojo, I will let the correct officials deal with that, as I know far too less to give any sort of justified opinion on the case.
    The transfer has indeed gone through (as far as I can see/tell), so I don't think that there is any way that we can back out of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Welbeck. Pace and power, good for counter attacking.

He just doesn't score enough goals.

I really disagree with the general hate he gets. I'd rather keep him, than Hernandez.
  • Options
    happymonkeyhappymonkey Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RotMojo wrote: »
    I like Welbeck. Pace and power, good for counter attacking.

He just doesn't score enough goals.

Yep cause that's not the main purpose of a striker! :-S
This discussion has been closed.