Into The Dalek Spoiler-Free Reviews

CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
Forum Member
✭✭
Well we may aswell start as we mean to go on for what it's worth - as the first preview has appeared. Doesn't really say much, as ever.

Warped Factor Spoiler-Free Review
The episode is not as relaxed as Deep Breath, there were times in the feature length opener when it felt almost laid back but we're down to a standard 45 minutes now. That being said Into The Dalek doesn't feel rushed, for the second consecutive episode we have the right length for the story.

Link

Comments

• doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    After watching the trailer, one of my concern's was that they would mess around too much with the opening scene's and the doctor talking Clara into coming and as a result would waste time better spent on the adventure but after reading this it sounds like the action gets going quite quickly which is a relief. Good to hear someone saying the pacing is done well here.

Looking forward to the episode, as much to see the fully formed personality of 12 as to see him tick the box of taking on the daleks. This reviewer seems to have enjoyed the episode and I hope I will too.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's definitely a better look at Capaldi's Doctor. The story itself isn't up to much at all though and its overall message seems to even contradict another Dalek story that isn't even all that old. There's also at least one moment in particular that will probably be held up as an example of how this Doctor is "darker" when it really is nothing of the kind and entirely in keeping with several previous examples of his behaviour.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I've always been looking forward to episode 2 more than episode 1, mainly because I'm not the Paternoster Gang's biggest fan so I wasn't sure Deep Breath would impress me much. Deep Breath was reasonably good, but I still feel that I'll enjoy Into the Dalek more.

The premise sounds interesting, even if it's not a totally original one (hopefully this time there'll be no ridiculous prawn creature though), but I'm most looking forward to seeing Capaldi properly in the role. He was still "cooking" for most of Deep Breath and I don't feel we got to know him as well as we should have by now. Into the Dalek should change this.

I also prefer the more low key Dalek stories where they're not attempting to blow up the universe so this one ticks those boxes.
    I'm not expecting this episode to be a masterpiece, but it should be enjoyable enough. Looking forward to it. :)
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I also prefer the more low key Dalek stories where they're not attempting to blow up the universe so this one ticks those boxes.
    I'm not expecting this episode to be a masterpiece, but it should be enjoyable enough. Looking forward to it. :)

Incidentally I had just read on GB
    I think it feels 'underwhelming' to some because it really is the first Dalek episode since the show came back where they don't make a big deal that the Daleks turn up. Its the most low-key Dalek story they have ever done really.

The Daleks are there, people know they exist, they get on with the adventure.
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the audio better in this episode? That is all I want to know. I don't want to watch every episode in Series 8 relying 100% on subtitles for some dialogue due to the voice volume being low for me in some places.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    bp2 wrote: »
    Is the audio better in this episode? That is all I want to know. I don't want to watch every episode in Series 8 relying 100% on subtitles for some dialogue due to the voice volume being low for me in some places.

How would anyone know that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show has had a sub-par mix since it returned in 05, continuing the tradition with the season opener on Saturday. I see no reason it will suddenly be fixed now after so many years of complaints.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well personally I've never had this problem. Perhaps the problem lies with your television?
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well personally I've never had this problem. Perhaps the problem lies with your television?

I don't use a television anymore. I use tablets/laptops/desktop computers. I have never had this problem before and yes I have adjusted speaker settings. The speech volume is too low/muttering in some places. The problem only occurs in a small amount of the episode but I find it annoying that it is not clear and it does improve when the volume increases.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been over a year since our last 45 minute episode - so I should hope the get the pacing right :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't use a television anymore. I use tablets/laptops/desktop computers. I have never had this problem before and yes I have adjusted speaker settings. The speech volume is too low/muttering in some places. The problem only occurs in a small amount of the episode but I find it annoying that it is not clear and it does improve when the volume increases.

Actually, I just remembered that I watched Deep Breath in the cinema and haven't actually seen it on TV yet. When I rewatch it, I'll see if I notice any problems with sound.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the sound issues were on the BBC end everyone would be having them.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your ears may vary. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enough people have for there to be no other explanation. It can usually be overcome with the right sound setup (hence why many people don't even realise there's an issue, their settings and/or equipment have already dealt with it) but no other TV shows seem to have this issue, so it's still the fault of the show.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member

This.

I do not even have an expensive TV at home - not even HD, but could hear every word perfectly.
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, Phil Ford wrote this? His first story since The Waters of Mars? I'm not worried in the slightest then. Mars is my favourite story yet.
  • lannerslanners Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Piipp wrote: »
    Ah, Phil Ford wrote this? His first story since The Waters of Mars? I'm not worried in the slightest then. Mars is my favourite story yet.

I wasn't overly keen on David Tennent as an older who fan and has probobly been said by quite a few of us before he was too loved up as a sex symbol and the love story with Rose was too much for me. Having said that as you said Waters of Mars was some of my favourate stories since the return of DW. A bit of behind the sofa stuff but a very gripping story as well. Hopefully this will be the same. Looking forward to it.
  • dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »

To be fair I think the majority of the input for Mars came from RTD, I believe. All the dark Doctor stuff especially. So I wouldn't base Into The Dalek too much on his previous effort. That said I am hugely looking forward to it!
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with sound is listening on sub-par equipment. The show is made and mixed for stereo and surround sound setups with decent speakers to separate dialogue and music.

When you watch on a computer, you're invariably using small speakers. When you watch on a cheap television, you're invariably using small speakers. All will lack bass, have difficulty in treble, and lack a good response across the full dynamic range. In both cases, these speakers are positioned fairly close together, meaning you don't get good stereo separation.

I've always watched the show on a surround setup with large front and centre speakers through a decent amp, and I've never had a problem.

Now, you could well argue that it should be mixed differently, but it's the BBC flagship programme sold across the world. There's another argument to say that it should be mixed to a high technical and artistic standard.
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    The problem with sound is listening on sub-par equipment. The show is made and mixed for stereo and surround sound setups with decent speakers to separate dialogue and music.

I have seen it on a massive screen on the world tour and the cinema both times i was struggling to understand Capaldi a little at the start (especially the 7 dwarves joke). However I am willing to accept it might be my ears.

Some people seem to suggest it might be HD vs Normal issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote: »

When you watch on a computer, you're invariably using small speakers. When you watch on a cheap television, you're invariably using small speakers. All will lack bass, have difficulty in treble, and lack a good response across the full dynamic range. In both cases, these speakers are positioned fairly close together, meaning you don't get good stereo separation.

I've always watched the show on a surround setup with large front and centre speakers through a decent amp, and I've never had a problem.

Now, you could well argue that it should be mixed differently, but it's the BBC flagship programme sold across the world. There's another argument to say that it should be mixed to a high technical and artistic standard.
    But there are top quality dramas out there that somehow manage to cater to both audiences without issue. Pretty much all of them, in fact.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched at the cinema and didn't have a problem, but yes could well be HD v SD
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daleks just need to roll in and exterminate people without hesitation to put this episode above three years of Dalek appearances. If they're rolling in and exterminating people because they're Daleks and not because of some unnecesary contained masterplan which The Doctor will easily foil in the last two minutes... Into the Dalek gets a further automatic ascencion...

...that's my logic and I'm sticking to it. Merciless killing, Ford/Moff/Wheatley.... mercliess killing.

Any cries of "Seek! Locate! Destroy!" during said merciless killing will gain bonus points. *grumble, grumble, time war*
  • FuddFudd Posts: 167,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that they're going into a Dalek considering Oswin ended up as one in Asylum of the Daleks. I wonder if the Doctor will make the link?