• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is!
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,178
    Forum Member
    the signal is very up and down - not sure if it is the testing - got an average signal of 3 on my accoustic solutions radio (will check in my car in a tick) i am using an internal arieal at the moment

what is the signal like on the gower?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Pirate FM, Kiss, Plymouth Sound, BBC Cornwall & The Storm are all available here in Braunton (with the aerial in the right position!).

The network is currently titled TestTransmission, and is broadcasting on 11D 222.06MHz. The power meter is showing 7/16, which is the same as for the BBC National DAB network on 12B 225.64MHz.

On the subject of the power meter, I'm surprised that Digital1 Network only reaches 9/16 considering I am receiving it from the much nearer Huntshaw Cross transmitter.

Sill, it's nice to be able to listen to The Storm now while recording from Sky :-)

Norm.
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,359
    Forum Member
    MrNorm wrote:
    The network is currently titled TestTransmission, and is broadcasting on 11D 222.06MHz.

You'll find that's Digital One's frequency.
  • Options
    FusionLadFusionLad Posts: 1,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mux in Plymouth is titled 'NowPlymouth'. I guess that's just Plympton I've picked up though.

I presume Caradon or Redruth are the ones belting out the signal to be received in Swansea?

And what do new listeners think of Pirate FM? I could ask the same about Plymouth Sound, but at the end of the day it's another GWR station.

I do prefer Plymouth Sound though, as it's more relevant than Pirate to me here in Plymouth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i've been listening to Pirate FM on and off since its test transmissions many years ago! (its a great station)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've been listening to Pirate FM on and off since its test transmissions many years ago! (its a great station)

Remember that very long jingle they had in the first few months?

Went something like...

"From the Tamar Bridges down to Lands End.....
    We've got the spirit and it shows, in everything we do......"

Went on for about 2 minutes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    know it?...i got it on cd around here somewhere!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I remember the Pirate FM song too! Sadly, Pirate FM is not what it once was. It really had an independent spirit when it launched, now it sounds like any other UKRG station. I think their HQ is right here in Redruth. They have 13 (?) stations under their belt now, but having travelled around the country they all sound the same!

As far as the DAB tx is concerend, the audio on Pirate is weak, but signal strength seems OK.

Still no Classic Gold from Redruth, but Plymouth Sound is coming through fine.

The 'Test Transmission' flag has just changed to 'abcde' ?

Hope Classic Gold comes on soon, as AM reception is dreadful here in Redruth. I know that when I occasionally listen in the car it adverstises itslef as Classic Gold for South East Cornwall as well as Classic Gold Plymouth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correction to above, Pirate's owners are UKRD, not UKRG. They are based in Redruth, and they also own:
    Star FM (five seperate locations - Cheltenham is the only one I am familiar with)
    County Sound (Surrey)
    Delta
    The Eagle
    Fen Radio (East Anglia)
    KLFM
    South Hams (South Devon)
    The Revolution

Yep, so 13 including Pirate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what is the signal like on the gower?

Not too bad 3/4 blocks, may need to go into my attic tomorrow and tweak the aerial (it's a bit iffy). But for tonight i'm just going to have to put up with "Pir-sclurp-burble-click - FM" :(

dan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't tweak too much just yet, I've been getting some breakup on the new mux right here in Plymouth.

Still some transmitter tweaking to do I would say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dan tribe wrote:
    Not too bad 3/4 blocks, may need to go into my attic tomorrow and tweak the aerial (it's a bit iffy). But for tonight i'm just going to have to put up with "Pir-sclurp-burble-click - FM" :(

dan
    same problem as me then!

lets hope they up the power a touch - if the reception is a little iffy diwn in their area - then a bit of transmitter tweeking could improve things all around

managed to hear a bit of plymouth sound (strange to hear that here - I normally listen to Lantern FM (thats another station that is a shadow of its former self!) I wonder if North Devon will get a DAB mux soon?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tinminer wrote:
    Correction to above, Pirate's owners are UKRD, not UKRG. They are based in Redruth, and they also own:
    Star FM (five seperate locations - Cheltenham is the only one I am familiar with)
    County Sound (Surrey)
    Delta
    The Eagle
    Fen Radio (East Anglia)
    KLFM
    South Hams (South Devon)
    The Revolution

Yep, so 13 including Pirate.
    South Hams - thought that was GWR owned?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, AFAIK South Hams was bought by UKRD several years ago. Prior to that it was independently owned. Don't think it has ever been owned by GWR.
    I'm sure someone on here can tell us more though...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting to note that on The Storm 's scrolling text it says: 'Modern Rock for Cornwall'. Seems like they alter the text for each of the mux's output. When NTL was first testing, I was sure it said 'Modern Rock for The West (presumably refering to the Bristol/Bath/Swindon/WSM area).
    Realy pleased withThe Storm though, compliments Planet Rock admirably. Only trouble is wifey don't like it, so I've left her to 1-xtra downstairs!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    acording to http://www.mediauk.com/radio/206 South Hams is GWR owned! they even got a GWR email address southhams@musicradio.com

I'm supprised its not on the Plymouth mux!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    acording to http://www.mediauk.com/radio/206 South Hams is GWR owned! they even got a GWR email address southhams@musicradio.com

I'm supprised its not on the Plymouth mux!
    Bizzaro!
    :confused:
    According to the UKRD website
    www.ukrd.com/associate_stations , it is definately one of UKRDs, and I remember a news item on Pirate saying that they had bought it. But your media URL would indicate otherwise??
    Tried South Hams webiste it's@ www.koko.co.uk, but this seems to be down at present.

Can anyone else shed some light on this? Maybe it is jointly owned by both?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tinminer wrote:
    Maybe it is jointly owned by both?

I believe it is, yes, with GWR having the greater share.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, thanks for that Vinnielo!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what's going on with the Plymouth Sound broadcast, but the DJ seems very quiet, then all of a sudden you'll get a commercial which is really loud. Seems an odd thing to occur, but I guess there's no point in moaning until the official start date.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I noticed that too!. It's probably that they use more compression on FM - just shows how they wack the gain up when the ads come on!
  • Options
    DigifreakDigifreak Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    vinnielo wrote:
    I believe it is, yes, with GWR having the greater share.

GWR once sent us a brochure about advertising on thier stations in the south west, and it included South Hams, with the same logo as the rest of the gwr stations, but it was green. I never seen it on any other promtional material. :confused:

I would love to hear South Hams on the mux, it is nice to listen to overnight, as the music is soothing to listen to, and broadcasts little advertising, and no news or dj. But still, have to wait another several years before we see it, oh well :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Digifreak wrote:
    GWR once sent us a brochure about advertising on thier stations in the south west, and it included South Hams, with the same logo as the rest of the gwr stations, but it was green.

How rare!

Do you still have it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    if he has, hope he can scan the south hams logo