Two computer disasters! Can anyone help?

Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yes, I will sound an idiot but...some wally at a party last night spilled wine all over my laptop. I cannot log into it now as all the keys are ruined and don't mean what they should or just type for themselves. So, question 1: is it buggered? Do I need to remove hard drive and go to another laptop?

I do have a spare laptop but can't log into that as the R key is totally broken and R is in my password several times? Any ideas...?

PS - I will never let anyone in my house again.

Thanks
CD

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    what make model is it ?
  • tim1964tim1964 Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you get hold of a spare keyboard to use to access the one with the faulty key(s)?
  • Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vanmanbob wrote: »
    what make model is it ?

They are both Sony vaio, the wine drenched one is VGN-N11S/W, the other broken R key one is VGN-FS115E

ta
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,419
    Forum Member
    You should be able to get a new keyboard fairly cheap if your prepared to go down the ebay route. They are usually pretty straightforward to swap and shouldn't take more than half an hour or so with a decent set of instructions. Whilst you have the board removed you should spend some time cleaning it up as chances are its still soaking underneath. A can of compressed air should help in this case.

In the meantime just plug in a USB keyboard to keep you going if you have one spare.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    I do have a spare laptop but can't log into that as the R key is totally broken and R is in my password several times? Any ideas...?
    CD
    Assuming the mouse works, you could use "Character Map" (in Accessories - System Tools) to do the "R"s or all the others in the Wino laptop
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    You may have destroyed far more than just the keyboard. There's some advice from a recent thread here. While you're waiting for it to dry out, check your household contents insurance to see if the laptop is covered for accidental damage.

As for the password and letter 'R' problem, if you're running XP, boot into Safe Mode (keep tapping F8 as soon as you switch on) and select the Administrator account to log into. Then go into Control Panel and User Accounts and choose the option to remove the password from yours.

Alternatively, you can download a bootable disk with a password remover on it. Post back if you need info.
  • zmikeozmikeo Posts: 2,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you could always use the on screen keyboard to log in.
    windows and U key to bring it up in XP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    You may have destroyed far more than just the keyboard. There's some advice from a recent thread here. While you're waiting for it to dry out, check your household contents insurance to see if the laptop is covered for accidental damage.

As for the password and letter 'R' problem, if you're running XP, boot into Safe Mode (keep tapping F8 as soon as you switch on) and select the Administrator account to log into. Then go into Control Panel and User Accounts and choose the option to remove the password from yours.

Alternatively, you can download a bootable disk with a password remover on it. Post back if you need info.

thanks about the safe mode, will try that and "borrow" a keyboard from work tomorrow. I think wino laptop is probably screwed but will dry it out a bit with hairdryer. Because it is wine it is sticky so may need a thorough clean before trying again. My boyfriend is so in the doghouse...not only has he killed my laptop but he wasted a whole glass of wine!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: am unable to start in safe mode... The arrow keys don't work on that screen for some reason and windows u does nothing. Think I need to accept both laptops are buggered. Best find another £500 from somewhere
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wine has a lot of sugar in it which will leave behind a conductive goo. Will the laptop boot up at the moment?
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Edit: am unable to start in safe mode... The arrow keys don't work on that screen for some reason and windows u does nothing. Think I need to accept both laptops are buggered. Best find another £500 from somewhere

Nah, you can't just write off the second laptop. You should be able to pick up a replacement keyboard off eBay for a reasonable amount. In the meantime, plugging a USB keyboard in should allow you to log into Windows. Although sometimes a USB keyboard won't work until Windows has started and the drivers loaded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Wine has a lot of sugar in it which will leave behind a conductive goo. Will the laptop boot up at the moment?

I've only tried it once bearing in mind it might be wet still and short something. It did come on but all the keys were speaking for themselves. If it is cleaned, will it then work provided nothing is shorted?
    max99 wrote: »
    Nah, you can't just write off the second laptop. You should be able to pick up a replacement keyboard off eBay for a reasonable amount. In the meantime, plugging a USB keyboard in should allow you to log into Windows. Although sometimes a USB keyboard won't work until Windows has started and the drivers loaded.
    I've got a USB keyboard working on it now. I guess I have to wait for wino laptop...if that can't work again, I need to transfer the harddrive.:(