EE Wifi Calling

Comments

• Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    TonyPeake wrote: »
    That's an answer is it ?

Do you actually want me to argue you with you over this? :confused:

Have a read through the past few pages where I and everyone else have posted about how you're wrong. 100% wrong.

But hey, since I'm nice, here- http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=76131873&postcount=481
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    I don't know what EE's coverage is. I know what the claims are.
    freeview claim 98.5% coverage of the UK population. How many times have you been in a situation where you can't get terrestrial TV but you can get a mobile signal ? And yet you say they claim 99% coverage.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In your world you can make a call on your mobile 98 times out of 100 ?

That's surely not how you interpret 98% coverage?
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    freeview claim 98.5% coverage of the UK population. How many times have you been in a situation where you can't get terrestrial TV but you can get a mobile signal ? And yet you say they claim 99% coverage.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/001/582/picard-facepalm.jpg
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member

You just went full retard.
  • Options
    John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone rename this thread "EE Willy Waving competition" please?
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    I referred to the OFCOM figures for 90 % coverage they are still there on there web site.
    In your world you can make a call on your mobile 98 times out of 100 ?

You can't honestly be so ignorant of what 98% coverage means? How does 98% coverage equate to making a call 98 times out of a 100?

Hint:
    In some places I can make 100 calls out of a 100, even 1000 calls out of 1000, in another I won't be able to make 1 call out of 100. That's not what the % of coverage means.

Honestly, give it up, you really are making yourself look like an idiot with your posts.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    You just went full retard.

Just got up off the floor...
    Right up there in the funniest posts list!!!
    Hahahahahahaha
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But based on your logic, the fact that not every house can get Freeview means that all houses can't get Freeview. Or that if you can't get Freeview, no one else can. Or something like that.

100% coverage is never going to happen because the remaining couple of percent gets increasingly expensive to cover. But the fact that you do not get great EE coverage in your house, does not mean that everyone is in the same boat. At least they're working on a well engineered, integrated solution to the problem in the form of wifi calling. Even if it takes a couple of weeks for it to be released.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You do realise they typical size of a TV antenna for Freeview is? Maybe a meter long. usually outside the house. They are directional antennas called beams that maximise the signal. It not practical for a mobile device to have that sort of setup.

TV started in 1936 yet there isn't 100% coverage :p

Like other have said you will never get 100% geographical due to the laws of diminishing returns. It become increasingly expensive to cover everywhere.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    You beat me to it. Even with a lower frequency, huge receiving antenna (compared to mobile) urban repeaters and government as well as private investment and more efficient digital transmitters TV coverage is still not even 99 percent.

If you want prices that are far less competitive than the rest of Europe we may see 99% geographical coverage but it will never realistically happen with land based transmissions.
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    We actually had better coverage from analogue TV than digital. Some parts of UK were deemed too costly to cover with freebies and provided with freesat instead by Ofcom decision.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    We actually had better coverage from analogue TV than digital. Some parts of UK were deemed too costly to cover with freebies and provided with freesat instead by Ofcom decision.

Freesat is actually quite good, though - if you can have a satellite dish it's the better free TV offering even if you can get Freeview. It doesn't make much sense to go for 100% freeview due to that (whereas in analogue's heyday there was no alternative)

More channels, better picture quality, no waiting for HD to launch on your transmitter etc

If you can't get Freeview at all, or can only get a small number of the channels (the commercial operators won't pay for relay stations to be upgraded, so they only do the public service channels) then it's even more compelling.

At least it's nothing like satellite internet :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do realise they typical size of a TV antenna for Freeview is? Maybe a meter long. usually outside the house. They are directional antennas called beams that maximise the signal. It not practical for a mobile device to have that sort of setup.

Although, if you live in a place where mobile broadband is the only practical option, you might go to the effort and cost of installing a decent outdoor aerial pointed at the cell site
  • Options
    keithstokeithsto Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    I wonder if this wifi option is closely linked to volte and therefore the two will be launched together?
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keithsto wrote: »
    I wonder if this wifi option is closely linked to volte and therefore the two will be launched together?

I am sure it will be linked, but I think the Wi-Fi calling will be easier to get going than VoLTE so I'd imagine the launch being separate.

In fact, given the information on the website and the coming soon (some of the text being changed to show the delay) and - AFAIK - nothing on VoLTE, I very much doubt they'll be connected whatsoever.

VoLTE isn't perhaps as essential for EE as it is for, say, Three.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They are of course linked in as much as they both use IMS and will be able to hand-off both WiFi to LTE and LTE to WiFi.
    However one service doesn't need the other so they can be launched separately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The important thing is when is it happening.
    Going to be really useful down the pub where I'm the only punter on their WiFi (I know the landlord and did some computer work for him).
    Sod all mobile signal inside from anyone so will be quite funny when I can answer my mobile in there.
    : )
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I am sure it will be linked, but I think the Wi-Fi calling will be easier to get going than VoLTE so I'd imagine the launch being separate.

In fact, given the information on the website and the coming soon (some of the text being changed to show the delay) and - AFAIK - nothing on VoLTE, I very much doubt they'll be connected whatsoever.

Very true but it would be important if they want to maintain there image as the technology network. Expect VoLTE will launch on EE first.
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    They are of course linked in as much as they both use IMS and will be able to hand-off both WiFi to LTE and LTE to WiFi.
    However one service doesn't need the other so they can be launched separately.

Which is why I'm moving to EE I think that would be extremely useful in my home when it happens. I live in a outdoor 4G coverage area at moment so in theory i should be able take a phone call in my house as i'm heading out and as i'm going to my car it should hand over well.
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    The important thing is when is it happening.
    Going to be really useful down the pub where I'm the only punter on their WiFi (I know the landlord and did some computer work for him).
    Sod all mobile signal inside from anyone so will be quite funny when I can answer my mobile in there.
    : )

Haha yeah I can think of quite a few rural pubs because of how they are made where you either don't get a signal or struggle to.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »

Yeah only benefit that EE would have launching VoWiFI and VoLTE together would be that they wouldn't get complaints from people wondering why there call drops when they lose WiFi Signal. From what I remember VoWiFi can't handover to 3G/2G only to VoLTE so you kind of need both for the optimum experience.

Expect they won't launch both together but expect they will make sure when they launch VoLTE later this year as I type this now that it will work.
  • Options
    Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we think we'll see this happen in January then? :D
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Seeing it's good to go already, I have a feeling VOLTE is closer than we think. I have nothing suggest this but it was very last minute to pull WC and I'm not hearing about any technical issues.
  • Options
    tigglepigtigglepig Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Seeing it's good to go already, I have a feeling VOLTE is closer than we think. I have nothing suggest this but it was very last minute to pull WC and I'm not hearing about any technical issues.

Let us hope so, was really looking forward to WiFi calling and so hope it does come soon. From reading the EE Community Forums it looks like people over there are waiting for it too and are becoming a bit fed up with the lack of communication.
  • Options
    unouno Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a feeling that Wifi calling may have been released today as EE have published their end of year report and details omn usage and the expansion they have made.

They also have a section on 2015 about how they are moving 4G into more rural areas and also expanding the 4G+ services to the whole of London and into more cities as well.

There is no mention of Wifi Calling and to me would have seemed an ideal time to do so but they still have their reasons to delay this further as its not technical i suspect its due to the BT bid