New passport - The Interview?

Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone here, an adult, applied for their first passport and had to have the interview?

My mum has never (shock/horror) ever had a passport and has applied for her first aged 50. She's got to go for an interview which she's nervous of as she's never really done anything (she doesn't even have a credit history!!! :o).

Anyone here had that interview and, if so, what sort of things do they ask?
Ta:)

Comments

• ThePerfectOneThePerfectOne Posts: 20,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi , they just ask questions you put on the application form and some security questions ,its nothing to be worried about. :)
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone here, an adult, applied for their first passport and had to have the interview?

My mum has never (shock/horror) ever had a passport and has applied for her first aged 50. She's got to go for an interview which she's nervous of as she's never really done anything (she doesn't even have a credit history!!! :o).

Anyone here had that interview and, if so, what sort of things do they ask?
    Ta:)

It changes with every interview so you could sit a dozen and different questions could be asked at each interview. All they do is ask questions which only she should know to prove she is who she says she is. If she is a genuine applicant there will be absolutely nothing to worry about. The people who have got something to worry about is those who are lying about who they say they are as this would be an offense and reportable to the authorities.

No different than being asked security questions when you speak to your bank, except a little more in depth to catch out liars who may be working hard to get a UK identity. I've never worried when contacting my bank as they confirm my security, tell her not to panic!
  • EEfan24EEfan24 Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah they just ask you a few questions based on the form. They told me it would take around 30 minutes - I was out in 5
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Just out of interest - is the interview location near your home and will they pay your travelling expenses?

Worth knowing for future reference!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Just out of interest - is the interview location near your home and will they pay your travelling expenses?
    Worth knowing for future reference!:D

why? it's her who wants the passport.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is she worried? Are you sure she is who she claims to be?
    Forum Member
    Stevo44 wrote: »
    why? it's her who wants the passport.

Well there are only a limited number of passport offices - say you live in a rural area and have to travel 100 miles to a major city for a 9am appointment? Could be quite expensive - and means a day of your life wasted (not easy for those who work).

The point is we have done fine without these stupid interviews for decades - so why should people be put out of pocket even more just to waste a day (which it could be if the location is far from home) being asked some pointless questions by a bureaucrat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there are only a limited number of passport offices - say you live in a rural area and have to travel 100 miles to a major city for a 9am appointment? Could be quite expensive - and means a day of your life wasted (not easy for those who work).

But if you want a passport it is worth it, surely? If it's that much trouble for someone, then they don't have to get a passport - in fact if they can't be bothered/afford to go to the interview, then they probably can't be bothered/afford to go abroad, so problem solved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member

The point is we have done fine without these stupid interviews for decades - so why should people be put out of pocket even more just to waste a day (which it could be if the location is far from home) being asked some pointless questions by a bureaucrat.
    Why should I (the taxpayer) pay for her travelling expenses?

And no, we haven’t managed fine for years without the interviews. Why do you think there are so many illegal immigrants in UK – many of whom end up with a British passport if they manage to stay undetected for long enough? It’s been too easy in the past to acquire a passport.
  • Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    Why is she worried? Are you sure she is who she claims to be?

Well, maybe not! :eek:

She is my mum but maybe she is not the woman she claims to be!!!:D

To be honest, she just worries about everything these days...:(

Thanks all for replies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    My sister is a complete moron, by anyone's standards, and she passed the test.
    I think your Mum will be fine, as said before, if she hasn't got anything to hide, she hasn't got anything to worry about :) They're probably used to people being nervous about the interview, even though they're genuine and don't need to worry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son had to have an interview in february they asked him

Who was his moblile phone contract with, how does he pay, when did he open the account. What was my date of birth, when did he open his bank accountetc.

They just ask stuff that no one else should know, the interview is mainly about the prevention of identity theft, it was only about 10 minutes long.
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I applied for my first adult passport last year (had been on my parents one and had a french adult one). Went to the interview in Elephant and Castle and had to wait ages (their machines were broken) but the interview itself was fine, they asked me things like when my parents got married, sister's birthday etc and I wasn't sure on one of the questions but it was fine, got my passport a week or so later.
    Forum Member
    nikola wrote: »
    Why should I (the taxpayer) pay for her travelling expenses?

And no, we haven’t managed fine for years without the interviews. Why do you think there are so many illegal immigrants in UK – many of whom end up with a British passport if they manage to stay undetected for long enough? It’s been too easy in the past to acquire a passport.

I think the idea is to stop illegal immigrants before they arrive - bit late once they are here!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    summerain wrote: »
    My sister is a complete moron, by anyone's standards, and she passed the test.
    I think your Mum will be fine, as said before, if she hasn't got anything to hide, she hasn't got anything to worry about :) They're probably used to people being nervous about the interview, even though they're genuine and don't need to worry.

:D:D:D
    Sorry, but that really made me laugh! :o
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Well, maybe not! :eek:

She is my mum but maybe she is not the woman she claims to be!!!:D

To be honest, she just worries about everything these days...:(

Thanks all for replies.

Hi Chilli Dragon, I have just returned from an interview this morning for my 19 year old son, it took about 15 minutes, just a few silly questions, they asked him when my birthday was, he just about got it right:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    I think the idea is to stop illegal immigrants before they arrive - bit late once they are here!
    But why give them a passport? As I said, if they go undetected for long enough, they quite often find a way to get a passport because anyone can lie on a form and use forged documents to back up their claim. An interview may well catch them out, especially if those asking the questions know what they're doing.

I don't have a problem with the interviews - but I do have a problem with paying for someone's travel expenses.
  • Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Chilli Dragon, I have just returned from an interview this morning for my 19 year old son, it took about 15 minutes, just a few silly questions, they asked him when my birthday was, he just about got it right:D

I think this will reassure my mum - it all sounds quite straight forward.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to have an interview to get a passport? :eek:

I have no idea when my parents got married or when I opened my bank account. I had a few accounts as a child and just kept on of them. I couldn't even tell you when I started my mobile contract as I've had a few of those as well. My passport expires next year so I hope the interviews aren't for renewals as well or I'm doomed never to leave the country again.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im in need of my first Adult passport soon, and if they ask me questions like sisters or brothers bdays etc i will fail :) too many to remember lol
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,686
    Forum Member
    -string- wrote: »
    You have to have an interview to get a passport? :eek:

I have no idea when my parents got married or when I opened my bank account. I had a few accounts as a child and just kept on of them. I couldn't even tell you when I started my mobile contract as I've had a few of those as well. My passport expires next year so I hope the interviews aren't for renewals as well or I'm doomed never to leave the country again.

That's exactly what I was just thinking too lol. I can give approximate dates.... well years but no exact dates.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They just ask things that you put on your application, think they ask what credit cards were at my address, who my phoneline was with all stuff they can find out somehow.
  • malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about UK born children ? Do they have to have this interview for their passport??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    ive gotta have one of these just sent of for my passport today does anyone know how long it takes to get an interview?
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

AFAIK, you don't go to one of the major passport offices (though they do conduct interviewd too)

They are quite a large number of smaller regional offices created solely for the interview process