Age ID : Waitrose

Comments

• calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it really company policy though? I don't get asked in Waitrose, unless its a recent thing?

I know that if the person on the checkout is under 18 they need to get someone over quickly though - whether that person is confirming the age of the person buying the alcohol (and so effectively just makes a decision on behalf of the checkout person, and so doesn't involve asking for ID from everyone), or because they have a policy of not allowing under 18s to actually make the sale, I don't know.

I'm inclined to think that in the OPs case, the person on the checkout was under 18, and had asked for ID when they were supposed to get someone over.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Is it really company policy though? I don't get asked in Waitrose, unless its a recent thing?

I wasn't asked yesterday. In fact, I don't think any shop has ever asked me for ID. Either a misunderstanding or, as suggested above, something specific to that branch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Common sense gone mad, etc, etc.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, I never knew adults over a certain age were so against being asked for photo ID? This is brilliant, the Government should make it a law. Make it as inconvenient to buy alcohol as possible. It's about time drinkers got a share of persecution by the Gov instead of excessively concentrating on smokers.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know that if the person on the checkout is under 18 they need to get someone over quickly though - whether that person is confirming the age of the person buying the alcohol (and so effectively just makes a decision on behalf of the checkout person, and so doesn't involve asking for ID from everyone), or because they have a policy of not allowing under 18s to actually make the sale, I don't know.

I'm inclined to think that in the OPs case, the person on the checkout was under 18, and had asked for ID when they were supposed to get someone over.

I've been in Waitrose when a supervisor has asked if I'm happy for a trainee to scan my purchases, and explained that she would have to have another member of staff present because she was too young to sell alcohol. So it's because the staff member is legally not allowed to sell alcohol until they're 18. Of course she didn't ask me for ID because I'm obviously old enough, and you don't have to be over 18 to recognise when someone else is clearly over 18.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just poor customer service to ask someone who if 59 to prove they are old enough to buy alcohol. Poor service eventually leads to falling sales.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even better, I've just read elsewhere that Waitrose don't sell alcohol to foreigners...... because they don't recognise the Non-UK ID. :D

Bound to be the Newcastle branch.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it's inconsistently applied depending on the individual company and store.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it's the OP's branch that is afflicted (though it is not alone) rather than corporate policy. Perhaps the local trading standards have been a bit over-zealous in their attempts to fill their quota of catching people out (even though they aren't really supposed to do that) and the store manager has had to go for the overly-safe option.

When staff ask for ID they need to be clear as to why - if the person is very clearly old enough then it is a flat-out lie to say the law requires it, be honest and tell them it is shop or company policy.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally ridiculous. We've become a 'tick box society' though. Common sense is no longer used. Just stick to a set of protocols and never deviate, no matter how stupid they are or what the situation is >:(

Can't believe there are people here supporting this stupidity. Are they robots or human beings :o
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,419
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    It's just poor customer service to ask someone who if 59 to prove they are old enough to buy alcohol. Poor service eventually leads to falling sales.
    Well it works both ways. I've worked in places that offer discounts to people over 60. Naturally people would often try it on, so we would have to ask for proof of age. In the most case they would laugh it off as appearing younger than they are, others would kick up a right fuss.

If people weren't so over-sensitive about their age (which in itself is just pointless - none of us are getting any younger FGS) then we wouldn't be in this mess at all. Now everyone who works with restricted sales has to personally tread on eggshells to avoid causing offence. The only other option in this scenario is to ID everyone and be done with it.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    They can't win. The general public are fools.

ID'ing everybody is simpler because many young people seemingly take offence when asked for ID, and I've found many older people are similarly 'offended' when you don't ask them :D (sigh)

Ultimately this is all because of licensing law, and the penalties. It's not any sort of fault of Waitrose so I'm not sure why you'd stop shopping there. Your actions are those of a petulant child, not a mature 59 year old.

To be perfectly honest, as somebody who serves alcohol it sounds like a great system. If it was normal to produce ID at point of sale for all age-restricted problems people wouldn't throw these hissy fits every 5 minutes.

It's like that in Vegas apparently - no ID, no nothing. Forgot your ID? Tough titties. Just carry ID, it's not hard.

BIB - Some of them certainly are.

Whatever next, all newborn babies to carry passports to prove they are under 5 and eligible for free travel ?
    What has happened to common sense ?
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,419
    Forum Member
    CSJB wrote: »
    BIB - Some of them certainly are.

Whatever next, all newborn babies to carry passports to prove they are under 5 and eligible for free travel ?
    What has happened to common sense ?
    It can be hard to reliably judge a childs age so expecting the parent/guardian to have some form of ID for something as major as discounted air travel isn't exactly outrageous IMO. Particularly bearing in mind that they would need to be carrying passports and the like for themselves anyway.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    It can be hard to reliably judge a childs age ...
    I'm not so sure these are really age-related discounts, I think these started out as being for those carrying small children and objecting to paying for a full seat.
    With that in mind, I'd suggest the application of less strict criteria - if the child is being carried all the way or is small enough to stow in the overhead compartment, they probably don't need their own ticket.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Yet there are millions of people who dont have photo ID in the uk.

Indeed. Not everyone is a driver, I have no driver's license so am I meant to carry my passport? :confused: That seems a bit inconvenient, that's not a document that I'd want to risk losing/misplacing or have stolen.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    It can be hard to reliably judge a childs age so expecting the parent/guardian to have some form of ID for something as major as discounted air travel isn't exactly outrageous IMO. Particularly bearing in mind that they would need to be carrying passports and the like for themselves anyway.

I was thinking more about busses and trains.

If someone can't tell the difference between a new born baby and a 5 year old or a 60 year old and a 18 year old, then maybe they shouldn't be working at all, in fact maybe they shouldn't be allowed out of their homes unsupervised.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed, the child would have a passport for international journeys. But the previous poster didn't specify air travel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Nice to see people are ignoring the obvious troll. Keep it up....no attention and they'll get bored and, you know, might find a life! :D

On topic, I think it's ridiculous to ask for ID. Still, I see many of the sheep are going along with it...
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but this getting very silly, can we please ditch this nanny state bullshit and go back to using some common sense. If a person looks roughly 18 that should suffice. If it happens they are slightly underage then big effing deal. The law needs to be relaxed considerably and hopefully UKIP will be the ones to do this.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing that is sill there is people thinking isolated cases like this means that shops actually are asking literally everyone for ID.

I'd bet my house that that isn't what is happening.

But yes - selling alcohol to 14 year olds if they look like they possibly could be 18. Great idea.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, the fools appear to be those the supermarkets are now employing and having to bring in silly rules to accommodate. If they can't tell the difference between a 59 year old and an 18 year old how can they be trusted to check out of date produce or give the correct change.

As to the problem of underage alcohol sales, the law makers could help by giving shops and shop workers a 'genuine belief' defence to an allegation of an underage sale. It would get rid of all this nonsense at a stroke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happened to signs like 'If you look under 25, you may be asked for ID.'? That seems pretty sensible. If someone who's 57 can look under 25, I'd like them to share their skin-care regime. :D
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ID'ing everybody is simpler because many young people seemingly take offence when asked for ID, and I've found many older people are similarly 'offended' when you don't ask them :D (sigh)

Ultimately this is all because of licensing law, and the penalties. It's not any sort of fault of Waitrose so I'm not sure why you'd stop shopping there. Your actions are those of a petulant child, not a mature 59 year old.

To be perfectly honest, as somebody who serves alcohol it sounds like a great system. If it was normal to produce ID at point of sale for all age-restricted problems people wouldn't throw these hissy fits every 5 minutes.

It's like that in Vegas apparently - no ID, no nothing. Forgot your ID? Tough titties. Just carry ID, it's not hard.

and what do suggest those of us who are responcible mature adults who don't have an ID do. There's no law that says I have to have one, I don't drive or need a passport. So it's just tough titties eh, very mature I'm sure.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Common sense gone mad, etc, etc.

"Common sense" gone mad ?:o:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    and what do suggest those of us who are responsible mature adults who don't have an ID do. There's no law that says I have to have one, I don't drive or need a passport. So it's just tough titties eh, very mature I'm sure.

Wasn't there an initiative a few years ago to get everyone in the UK to have an ID card? It didn't go down well I guess. I wonder if this 'let's ID everyone' thinking is a way for them to bring that idea back. Not saying Waitrose is influencing gov't policies, lol, but weirder things have happened. :D