Options

LCD vs LED TV

Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Big difference in electric consumption? The new LED TVs state on the box they are far more efficient, is this true?

Comments

• Options
    John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big difference in electric consumption? The new LED TVs state on the box they are far more efficient, is this true?

Yes.

Google the same question
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can even feel the difference. Try putting your hand on the screen of both, I remember doing this when I changed my computer monitor for LED, it's practically cold on LED but gently warm on LCD, that's all wasted power.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its only how the screen is lit.

Both are lcd.

....but yes, size for size, a tv lit using led should use less power, and get less hot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    When it says LED it is still a LCD (it's an industry fiddle to make you think you are getting superior tech). What they should say is that the panel is backlit by LED's, which use less power and emit a brighter light.
  • Options
    Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice guys.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    When it says LED it is still a LCD (it's an industry fiddle to make you think you are getting superior tech). What they should say is that the panel is backlit by LED's, which use less power and emit a brighter light.

I'm not even sure it's the industry, most sets with LED backlighting are clearly labelled as LCD still.
    The other big difference other than power and pure brightness is that LED sets (Depending on the quality) can have much better contrast levels because if they're done properly (as opposed to just throw in an LED strip instead of a CCFL) they can vary the lighting more effectively across parts of the screen.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,520
    Forum Member
    Nilrem wrote: »
    The other big difference other than power and pure brightness is that LED sets (Depending on the quality) can have much better contrast levels because if they're done properly (as opposed to just throw in an LED strip instead of a CCFL) they can vary the lighting more effectively across parts of the screen.

Except almost none do that now, a few 'did' and it proved to make sod all difference and wasn't worth the extra costs. It also makes the set thicker - and the never ending desire for thinner sets means people don't buy them.
  • Options
    GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be more concerned about the resolution on the TV than the backlight technology used.

Its rare to find a TV powered by a CFL backlight as they have moved to LEDs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gage wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about the resolution on the TV than the backlight technology used.

Resolution isn't, and never was, a problem - with decent HD Ready sets easily out performing cheap Full HD sets.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    How much are you seriously going to save each year from reduced power consumption? Genuine question.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much are you seriously going to save each year from reduced power consumption? Genuine question.
    That depends on the reduction ;)

Some LCD TVs with the CFL at maximum (sadly, the default state as shipped along with excessively red colour balance typically) can be over 100w. An LED backlit model could be as low as 20w I reckon.

If you watch for four hours a day that would be 28 hours a week or 1456 hours a year. 80w*1456 = 116units. That is probably around £15. If you have kids it might be double that of course :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    That depends on the reduction ;)

Some LCD TVs with the CFL at maximum sadly, the default state as shipped along with excessively red colour balance typically can be over 100w.

Strange suggestion, as far as I'm aware the default state during install (there usually isn't a 'shipping' state, you select what you want during install) was for the CCFL to auto-dim along with picture content. Also LED sets are FAR redder by default than CCFL ones.

I wouldn't expect 100W average consumption, unless it was an exceptionally large screen.

An LED backlit model could be as low as 20w I reckon.

Likewise, I wouldn't expect as low as 20W for any size of LED set.

As far as LED vs CCFL goes, an LED light bulb uses about half the energy of a CCFL one - so consumption purely on the back lighting should be roughly about half.