Henry Blofeld

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
Forum Member
I have been listening to Henry Blofeld on Test Match Special over the last few days. Henry, now 69, has been a great, if eccentric, broadcaster for many years but it really is time for the BBC to pension him off.

He makes so many mistakes it must be an embarrassment for his fellow broadcasters. Virtually every sentence contained an error or a correction, and he kept on having to ask his summeriser to explain what had happened.

One amusing thing, he said that the England player , Ryan Sidebottom, reminded him of Friar Tuck. Vic Marks responded by saying that apart from the fact that Friar Tuck was bald and fat and Sidebottom was slim and very hairy he could see the resemblance.

So well done Henry, but do the decent thing and retire.

Comments

• HaydenHayden Posts: 32,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It never ceases to amaze me how some commentators are seemingly allowed to go forever, way after they have peaked - Blofeld, Alliss etc, just because they are 'eccentric' and 'characters' while others such as the brilliant Stuart Storey are replaced despite their standards remaining as high as ever.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how some commentators are seemingly allowed to go forever, way after they have peaked - Blofeld, Alliss etc

I'm afraid that apart from Ken Brown the BBC have no exceptional golf commentators.

If Alliss went, their coverage would become more dull and humourless than it is now.

Here's one of Alliss' greatest, "A bit fat, but almost perfect. Bit like Kate Winslett"
  • scorerscorer Posts: 5,004
    Forum Member
    I am all for great commentators to carry on until they have had enough.

Even if the BBC did pension Blowers off you would still be left with Peter Baxter who IMO is far worse.

As for golf I think the BBCs commentary team would manage without Alliss (when he decides to go or the BBC let him go.)

They would still have Ken Brown, Wayne Grady, Andrew Cotter, Sam Torrence and Mark James.

They might not be the best but they keep it going and I'd rather listen to them than have Ewen Murray rabbiting on.
  • darkwinterdarkwinter Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Peter Baxter retired last year!
  • scorerscorer Posts: 5,004
    Forum Member
    Oh sorry, didn't realise.:sleep:
  • dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You want to try Ray French he should have given up a long time ago.
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dids858 wrote: »

A very long time ago! Dave Woods is a fine commentator, as was John Champion before he moved over to ITV - am I'm very impressed with the guys on Five Live. Time to give them a shot.
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Henry Blofeld should have retired about 5-10 years ago. He is incrediably error-prone and, as such, is extremely difficult to listen to. You could easily tolerate his eccentrities and rambling comments when he still had the ability to describe the action accurately - but nowadays Blofeld is often lost for words, gets players names wrong, and generally sounds muddled. To cap it all, his voice is dreadful, his throat sounds like it needs clearing.

Sadly, there are very few people with distinct personalities and distinctive voices who could replace him.
  • Andy RimmerAndy Rimmer Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dids858 wrote: »

Indeed. Quality on the Radio I feel but awful on tv.
  • SteveMartinSteveMartin Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like I am in the minority here then. I love listening to Blowers, TMS isn't just about describing the on field action. I love listening to the opinions of the commentators and summarisers about the game and also the interaction between them. I was away from home last week, so I was without Sky Sports, so I relied on TMS for coverage of the test, I was not disappointed.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like I am in the minority here then. I love listening to Blowers, TMS isn't just about describing the on field action. I love listening to the opinions of the commentators and summarisers about the game and also the interaction between them. I was away from home last week, so I was without Sky Sports, so I relied on TMS for coverage of the test, I was not disappointed.

No me too, I like listening to Blowers, yes he gets a bit muddled but he always has. At least I can hear him clearly on the radio, the rest speak so softly it's just a mumble.
    Thank God forums weren't around in Arlott's day else folks would be complaining about something trivial that he may or may not have said. Mind I think we were more appreciative back then, everything has to be aimed at the lowest common denominator these days
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I appreciate that Blowers has been a good broadcaster but his errors are getting in the way of being able to describe the game correctly. I switched on the other day and he was saying that Kallis was out, only to find out shortly afterwards that he was still in.

TMS have two very good broadcasters in Simon Mann and Mark Saggers, both have very clear voices and despite neither of them having played first class cricket know what they are talking about.

It would be a good thing if TV employed such people instead of always going for ex Test players.

Peter Alliss can still do his stuff, despite his eccentricity, and doesn't make silly mistakes like Blowers.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »

TMS have two very good broadcasters in Simon Mann and Mark Saggers, both have very clear voices and despite neither of them having played first class cricket know what they are talking about.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind him, but he's a bit 1970's Radio 1. "It's Sadiday and it's Test Cricket"
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    I switched on the other day and he was saying that Kallis was out, only to find out shortly afterwards that he was still in.
    Listen to the commentary again, He actually said "Harris".
  • Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do agree, I used to love listening to TMS when it was Brian "Johnners" Johnson, Henry "Blowers" Blofeld, Don "The Alderman" Mosely. Along with their summarises Trevor Bailey and Fred Trueman plus Bill "The Bearded Wonder" Frindall it was just lovely to listen to. The cricket was almost an inconvenience to the general chit chat.

"Today we would like to thank Mrs Smith Of Weybridge for the lovely chocolate cake she sent. Freddie has managed to spill it down his tie as another dot goes into the bearded wonder's book"

Does The Primary Club still exist?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I do agree, I used to love listening to TMS when it was Brian "Johnners" Johnson, Henry "Blowers" Blofeld, Don "The Alderman" Mosely. Along with their summarises Trevor Bailey and Fred Trueman plus Bill "The Bearded Wonder" Frindall it was just lovely to listen to. The cricket was almost an inconvenience to the general chit chat.

"Today we would like to thank Mrs Smith Of Weybridge for the lovely chocolate cake she sent. Freddie has managed to spill it down his tie as another dot goes into the bearded wonder's book"

Does The Primary Club still exist?

The Primary Club certainly does still exist. When Vaughan was out first ball Bill Frindall reminded listeners that all members of the Primary Club have to pay £2 every time a Test player is out first ball for a charity that ,inter alia , goes to blind cricketers.

My favourite Blowers story goes back about 20 years. He was describing the scene at Lord's and saying that there were lots of young men drinking pints in front of the tavern, and then said " talking of pints here's Fred Trueman"

Well, Fred went berserk, " whaddya mean talking of pints here comes Fred!! Are you suggesting I'm some sort of boozer!! Fred then ranted on about how he had had to put up with entirely false accusations all his life about his drinking and that he barely touched the stuff.

Henry made it worse at one point by saying that Fred was not a pint drinker but a gin and tonic man but this only increased Fred's ire " I'm not a gin and tonic man or any other sort of boozer!!!

Things eventually calmed down with Henry apologising.

I have since read after Fred died that he indeed hardly touched a drop though people bought him drinks all the time and he would accept, to not give offence, but would take a few sips and quietly put the pint to one side.
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sky boys are worse.

I swear if Paul Allot, Bob Willis or Michael Holding call Stuart Broad 'Chris' again I'll scream. (Chris Broad is Stuart's father for younger fans)

David Lloyd on the other hand, puts on a bit of a 'doddery old gent' act but he knows his stuff back to front and inside out, he was still England coach 9 years ago!
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    The Sky boys are worse.

I swear if Paul Allot, Bob Willis or Michael Holding call Stuart Broad 'Chris' again I'll scream. (Chris Broad is Stuart's father for younger fans)

David Lloyd on the other hand, puts on a bit of a 'doddery old gent' act but he knows his stuff back to front and inside out, he was still England coach 9 years ago!

I love old Bob and his grumpy old git persona.
    But he seems to be having a bit of trouble with his voice these days- words getting mangled and he is not a clear speaker at all.
    Allott sends me to sleep, he sounds bored and never raises himself above a laconic stupor.
    I could listen to Holding and Lloyd all day - they are magnificent commentators as are 'new boys' Hussain and Atherton.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Saggers is okay but he is more suited to his general presenting duties on 5Live. Simon Mann, Aggers and CMJ make a very good backbone to the TMS team. But God knows why they let Mark Pougatch into the box earlier this summer, quite awful.

Blowers is obviously been phased out, it's nice to hear him occasionally but he probably went past his sell-by date when he did his "rebel" spell on Sky.
    One amusing thing, he said that the England player , Ryan Sidebottom, reminded him of Friar Tuck. Vic Marks responded by saying that apart from the fact that Friar Tuck was bald and fat and Sidebottom was slim and very hairy he could see the resemblance.

He called Sidebottom "Ryan Stringfellow" as well once. Quite amused me, but I am easily pleased.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    But God knows why they let Mark Pougatch into the box earlier this summer,
    Because Aggers was called away due to a family illness and they were a man short in the box?
  • Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,685
    Forum Member
    Blowers is obviously been phased out, it's nice to hear him occasionally but he probably went past his sell-by date when he did his "rebel" spell on Sky.

When was that?
  • RobinCarmodyRobinCarmody Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1991-93, I think. They didn't send him to cover the 1994 West Indies tour and he rejoined TMS that year following Brian Johnston's death.
  • madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wonder why they get him to commentate on the death of ODI matches, when clarity in what's just happened isn't his strong point! He ruined the end of the 2005 NatWest Series Final for me when he bumbled over what was going on, and nobody could tell who had won.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Because Aggers was called away due to a family illness and they were a man short in the box?
    It was Neil Manthorp of SABC who deputised for Agnew - and he was good (TMS should have given him some more stints commentating).
    Pougatch got a proper gig doing the Lords Test with South Africa.

The unexpected jewel that's beginning to shine in the box these days, for me, is Tuffers. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The unexpected jewel that's beginning to shine in the box these days, for me, is Tuffers. :o

Tuffers definitely has potential, I've been pleasantly surprised by him.

I still can't warm to Arlo or Alec Stewart though and I do wish they'd bring Foxy Fowler back!