Options

Mark Billingham's - Thorne

Comments

• Options
    PosyPosy Posts: 1,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was looking forward to this, but although I don't remember the nuances of the plot I know already that the murderer has been changed. I also don't recall what happened to Thorne in the last few minutes of the show.
  • Options
    James LamontJames Lamont Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thorne was knocked out when he arrived him and injected by the murderer.

I have mixed feelings about this, I really do. I am a massive Mark Billingham fan, I have read all of the Thorne as we speak I have a few pages left in "From the dead". I enjoyed but like others I have reservations about how David Morrisey is playing Thorne. He is not as many of us imagine, I know every reader has their own view, but I also think that in this first episode at least there was not time to show how downright argumentative and moody Thorne can often be. I know they showed a bit of it when he was shouting at the girl in the hospital but he is much more of a pain in the books that he came accross in this episode. Frankly, he seemed well a bit too NICE.

I am a big 24 Fan also and not sure if Hopkins successfully got every frame right in how this was filmed either, it needs to be more of a moody theme location wise, and more grittier I think.
  • Options
    PosyPosy Posts: 1,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posy wrote: »
    Was looking forward to this, but although I don't remember the nuances of the plot I know already that the murderer has been changed. I also don't recall what happened to Thorne in the last few minutes of the show.

Should have read my post, meant to add that last 5 mins of programme didn't happen in book to my recollection.
  • Options
    Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the show, can't wait for the rest of it and for the 2nd one (Scardy Cat) that follows.

I haven't read any of the books but plan on doing so.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    I have loved all the Billingham books and it was actually Sleephead that got me hooked, I had reservations as well about when it did come to tv would it ultimately disappoint?

I did really enjoy that 1st episode and while some of the characters do seem different to what I expected I still believe they did a good job of putting across the characters.

Now if someone can make Reacher then life would peachy.
  • Options
    valdavalda Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Reacher? don't even go there, I have no idea who could do him justice
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have not read the books, but I was dissapointed by the way it was shot, I didn't like the camera work. And David Morrissey seemed to be playing the same character he plays in most of these dramas.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up with this on Anytime and I must say how much I enjoyed it, haven`t read the book though so had no idea what to expect of Thorne..:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Jus caught up. Never read any of the books, but have to say I enjoyed it. Defintely could be improved, but its not too bad. Perhaps my not having any knowledge of the books spares me from any comparisons. That said, I do agree on comments made about how it was shot. I feel that coud be improved. Not too sure about the style.

Anyway, not bad considering its a Sky one show. lately Ive enjoyed Sky1s original drama outings, the other being Strike Back!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cavegirl79 wrote: »
    Whenever I picture Mark Billingham all I ever see is the character he played in Maid Marian...

That would add a whole new dimension to the story!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never read the books but I really liked it, my one gripe would be by showing what happened next week immediately after the end of the ep they killed the tension of the cliffhanger.

I think I have developed a bit of a crush on the grumpy sod.
  • Options
    I'm-a-painI'm-a-pain Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was so looking forward to this, as I LOVE Mark Billingham's books - Sleepyhead being my favourite. However, as I don't have Sky 1, I was afraid I'd miss out. So a big thank you to the person who posted the Anytime link - I'm just about to give it a try.
    EDIT: Dammit, I thought the Anytime thing was a 'watch it on your computer' type thing, but it isn't! guess I will be missing out then. :cry:

Finally - I have to say that, whilst reading my first MB book (Sleepyhead), I formed a picture in my head of what I thought Thorne looked like, and then some time later, when I saw Detective Gene Hunt on TV, I thought "THAT'S HIM!! THAT'S DI THORNE!!". It was kinda spooky, so I'm not sure I'll be able to take to him looking any different!!

xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm-a-pain wrote: »
    I was so looking forward to this, as I LOVE Mark Billingham's books - Sleepyhead being my favourite. However, as I don't have Sky 1, I was afraid I'd miss out. So a big thank you to the person who posted the Anytime link - I'm just about to give it a try.
    EDIT: Dammit, I thought the Anytime thing was a 'watch it on your computer' type thing, but it isn't! guess I will be missing out then. :cry:

Finally - I have to say that, whilst reading my first MB book (Sleepyhead), I formed a picture in my head of what I thought Thorne looked like, and then some time later, when I saw Detective Gene Hunt on TV, I thought "THAT'S HIM!! THAT'S DI THORNE!!". It was kinda spooky, so I'm not sure I'll be able to take to him looking any different!!

xx

I have read all the books and for the last few years I have had a clear picture in my head of what Thorne looks like (my closest resemblance would be actor Martin Shaw). I watched the 1st sleephead on Sunday, and on Monday started to read the newest novel From the Dead, and can only picture David Morrisey!!! Its really annoying, I want my Thorne back!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Norristar wrote: »
    I have read all the books and for the last few years I have had a clear picture in my head of what Thorne looks like (my closest resemblance would be actor Martin Shaw). I watched the 1st sleephead on Sunday, and on Monday started to read the newest novel From the Dead, and can only picture David Morrisey!!! Its really annoying, I want my Thorne back!!!

Not read the latest one yet, but you've hit the nail on the head with Martin Shaw. For me, it was a cross between him, Mike Pratt (the original Randall of Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)) and Billy Murray (Johnny Allen from Eastenders/ Don Beech from The Bill).

I imagine when I get round to the new novel I'll end up with Morrissey in my head as well :(
  • Options
    I'm-a-painI'm-a-pain Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, I did manage to watch it tonight at somebody else's house, and I was really disappointed. Totally agree with the sentiment "I want MY Thorne back!!!", but I found the whole thing very rushed, very unsubtle, very unsuspenseful (is that a word?) and most of the characters unlikeable.

But at least it's got THAT bee out of my bonnet, lol. I'll stick to the books.

xx
  • Options
    Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not read the latest one yet, but you've hit the nail on the head with Martin Shaw. For me, it was a cross between him, Mike Pratt (the original Randall of Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)) and Billy Murray (Johnny Allen from Eastenders/ Don Beech from The Bill).

I imagine when I get round to the new novel I'll end up with Morrissey in my head as well :(

That's who I always had in my head when I was reading the books. Well, a cross between Don Beech and Frank Burnside when they were a bit younger.
  • Options
    ned flandersned flanders Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dudester wrote: »
    I have loved all the Billingham books and it was actually Sleephead that got me hooked, I had reservations as well about when it did come to tv would it ultimately disappoint?

I did really enjoy that 1st episode and while some of the characters do seem different to what I expected I still believe they did a good job of putting across the characters.

Now if someone can make Reacher then life would peachy.

The world is crying out for Jack Reacher! But who to play him.......? Suggestions?
  • Options
    surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    Who did he play in Maid Marian? :eek:

He was one of the inept guards that followed the Sherrif, trying to catch Marion and the others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The world is crying out for Jack Reacher! But who to play him.......? Suggestions?

Reacher to me is Josh Holloway (blonde guy for Lost - cannot remember his characters name!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its funny how I have kept all the other characters the same (still my Dave & Bridgestoke) but can't shake Morrisey!

Looking forward to the second episode though. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Isn't Thorne supposed to be a Londoner? That was the main disappointment for me having read the books that he doesn't have the accent he should have.

I also pictured Thorne as shorter and a bit overweight and as someone else has said, Hendricks would be stick thin. many piercings and shaved head.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Talking about Reacher, I've read all of those as well :) I always pictured him a bit like Clint Eastwood, but Lee Child has said that he pictures him like Lawrence Dallaglio.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    I hope the killer isn't going to turn out to be the other killer's son, the one who supposedly threw himself under a train and the body was unrecognisable because that would be pathetic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnwibble wrote: »
    Isn't Thorne supposed to be a Londoner? That was the main disappointment for me having read the books that he doesn't have the accent he should have.

I also pictured Thorne as shorter and a bit overweight and as someone else has said, Hendricks would be stick thin. many piercings and shaved head.

It may be my imagination but I thought Thorne was more cockney in the 1st ep?

Also.. his flat is waaay to modern for Thorne!!! I guess the rusty old yellow banger isn't going to feature!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It may be my imagination but I thought Thorne was more cockney in the 1st ep?

Also.. his flat is waaay to modern for Thorne!!! I guess the rusty old yellow banger isn't going to feature!

No in the first episode he sounded more like a northerner to me, which was what shocked me. I'm sure that his dad's voice sounded like a southerner when he called him near the start of the 1st episode.