HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And they're off!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it was Gomes' fault. Though Nani dived and/or handballed, the ref played advantage instead of giving a freekick as Gomes had the ball in his hands. The ball was in play when Gomes dropped it.
  • Options
    SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,537
    Forum Member
    No whistle, no foul, goal given correctly.

Did you even take the 30 seconds required to look up whether or not that was a goal?
  • Options
    wigs7wigs7 Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    And they're off!

beat me to it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it looked a pen, the nani threw himself to the floor and handled it, gomes picked it up and thw whistle never blew. i agree with the ref playing on keeping a flow to the game.
    only one man at fault is gomes (although the ref could of given a pen and then a fk).
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that maybe should be discussed is Jon Champion's frankly astonishing attitude.
    Impartiality well out of the window there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    One thing that maybe should be discussed is Jon Champion's frankly astonishing attitude.
    Impartiality well out of the window there.

i agree, it turned into fanzone for a minute with waddle backing him up.

they didnt even mention that gomes decided to try and steal 10 yards if a fk had been given.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Embarrassing from Champion. Deserves reprimand for that.
  • Options
    ThebensterThebenster Posts: 6,879
    Forum Member
    Absolute farce from the referees - a clear dive and handball from Nani who reaches out for the ball. If the incident involved any other team on the planet than Manchester United the goal would not have stood.
  • Options
    peter3hgpeter3hg Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thebenster wrote: »
    Absolute farce from the referees - a clear dive and handball from Nani who reaches out for the ball. If the incident involved any other team on the planet than Manchester United the goal would not have stood.

No one denies it could have a free kick, but the ref played an advantage, as he would for any other team on the planet.
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What about the first goal, that y'know, up till then was winning United the game? :rolleyes: Smokescreen.........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

there was a dive but before that he was pulled back.

the ref said play on gomes had the ball in his hands, the ball was never dead so how could it not of stood?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member

Should've been a penalty in the first place, before the dive. Or in the words of Chris Waddle - 'pelanty'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

the ref said play on gomes had the ball in his hands, the ball was never dead so how could it not of stood?

Here Here.
  • Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon Champion was practically jizzing hiself throughout at the prospect of spurs getting back in the game.
  • Options
    ThebensterThebenster Posts: 6,879
    Forum Member
    peter3hg wrote: »
    No one denies it could have a free kick, but the ref played an advantage, as he would for any other team on the planet.

The cameras didn't show at any point the referee signal an advantage
    What about the first goal, that y'know, up till then was winning United the game? :rolleyes: Smokescreen.........

With 10 minutes to go including stoppage time Spurs definitely were in with a chance of equalising

The ref only signalled play on once Gomes had rolled it onto the ground
    Should've been a penalty in the first place, before the dive. Or in the words of Chris Waddle - 'pelanty'

Would have been the softest penalty I've seen this season
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I can see why spurs fans were upset but they should direct their fury at the goalkeeper.

If he thought it was a free kick why did he throw the ball down in the wrong place and then kick it further away from where the free kick would have been awarded?

The ref thought, its a free kick but the ball is in the GKs hands so play on. Maybe that was a mistake by the ref but regardless the Spurs keeper had the ball and made a complete arse of things!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the referee had not stopped the game, Nani had every right to take the ball. Gomes's fault i'm afraid.

Incidentally I am NOT a Man U fan, but AM a referee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cameras didn't show at any point the referee signal an advantage

The ref only signalled play on once Gomes had rolled it onto the ground

Would have been the softest penalty I've seen this season

do they show the ref stopping play?

i didnt see the ref at the timeof the incident but that was when nani asked

i have seen softer, he pulled him back and thats a pen.
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    I can see why spurs fans were upset but they should direct their fury at the goalkeeper.

If he thought it was a free kick why did he throw the ball down in the wrong place and then kick it further away from where the free kick would have been awarded?

The ref thought, its a free kick but the ball is in the GKs hands so play on. Maybe that was a mistake by the ref but regardless the Spurs keeper had the ball and made a complete arse of things!

i agree, refs make enough silly mistakes without getting the blame for things like this.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst the ref was slow witted it was Gomes who was the lazy witted one and who caused the goal.

90% a goal keeping error only 10 % the ref's fault,
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With 10 minutes to go including stoppage time Spurs definitely were in with a chance of equalising

And equally, United could have scored another. Spurs fans are arguing like it was 0-0 at the time. The reality is niether side really looked like scoring from sixty minutes on and Spur's most creative player had gone off.

Like I said, smoke.
  • Options
    bamberbamber Posts: 1,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    should the goal have stood?

it all comes down to what was said in the discussion between the ref and linesman.

if the linesman saw the handball and the ref has overruled him then clattenderg should get a couple of weeks off.

if neither of them saw the handball then its a goal and both should get a couple of weeks off.
  • Options
    SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,537
    Forum Member

Are you serious? Nani embellished but Kaboul was clearly grabbing his jersey because he was beaten on the pass. Should've been a penalty given in the first place.
  • Options
    bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bamber wrote: »
    should the goal have stood?

it all comes down to what was said in the discussion between the ref and linesman.

if the linesman saw the handball and the ref has overruled him then clattenderg should get a couple of weeks off.

if neither of them saw the handball then its a goal and both should get a couple of weeks off.

If the Linesman said it was a free kick and Clattenberg said he'd given the advantage to Gomes who had the ball in his hand then it's Gomes' fault.

Anyway if it was a free kick shouldn't it have been where the handball took place?