Selfish people still setting off fireworks!

Comments

• BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why just because bonfire night fell on a weekday that people need to celebrate on the weekends anyway? I remember going to bonfire nights in the local rugby club or park on weekdays and there being plenty of families there. I never used to see this many private displays and certainly not stretching either side of the actual night. I suppose it's like everything else now, no one is able to contain themselves and we are forced to celebrate things for unnecessarily long periods of time.

It's hardly a massive event which needs to be marked. Most fireworks events end around 7 or 8pm on Bonfire night, that's not really late enough to affect people who are working the next day is it? If they wanted to see fireworks then there is plenty of time to finish work and get to an event. There really is no need at all to be letting them off any other day than November 5th. I disagree that Diwali is a valid excuse as that is a celebration of light and is celebrated with lanterns, lights or candles and not really fireworks, which are more noise than light.

There is especially no need to let them off any later than around 8-9pm as that is just inconsiderate and selfish. I don't see how that's fun and I don't see why people can't rightly be annoyed about that happening.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just pets though, people have children that need to sleep, wildlife and livestock are affected, fireworks land all over the place making a mess and idiots set them off at stupid o'clock waking up people who need to be up early the following day.

A day or so either side of Nov. 5th, Diwali, New Years I don't object to, but every night for 10 days is starting to grate!
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Well here is a thought for you. the other neighbours all agreed with me. None of them were chuffed. This was not on the 5th of November which was at the weekend which would have been fair enough. By then everyone had started taking or letting their pets back out again. Our houses don't have double glazing. Oh and said neighbour likes to play her Fiddle at 6am practically every morning. At least I don't disturb the rest of my neighbours by playing loud music, having parties etc.

They told you that, but they probably call you weird mrs shouty behind your back. It is not normal, not acceptable to bellow at a neighbour on the doorstep for having fireworks in the first couple of weeks in November.
  • OmlOml Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    One of my neighbours set off the loudest fireworks I've ever heard from a domestic display. I'm sure they must have managed to get professional ones, unless fireworks are getting stronger. You could feel the noise inside my house. I don't even own a pet and found it really annoying.
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    How selfish of you not to allow your neighbour to have fireworks at a time of year when millions of people do, and it is generally accepted as a tradition. I'd hate to live next to somebody like you, in fact if you stood on my doorstep shouting at me I'd probably call the police to deal with you under public order laws. What makes you think you have the right to shout at people on their doorstep for doing something that is perfectly legal and commonly done throughout the country. I wonder what your neighbors think of you.

Sadly it's people like this that fill forums at this time every year .How EVERYONE should show consideration because of their pets .How people can be so self centred and self important I just can't understand .
    Forum Member
    Oml wrote: »
    One of my neighbours set off the loudest fireworks I've ever heard from a domestic display. I'm sure they must have managed to get professional ones, unless fireworks are getting stronger. You could feel the noise inside my house. I don't even own a pet and found it really annoying.

Someone let two of these off in my street at about 3am on Halloween, which set off some car alarms.

Absolute arseholes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    Some of you are very easily annoyed, it's that time of year. With peoples working lives becoming less and less often 9-5, you can expect a lot more festival overflow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blofeld wrote: »
    Someone let two of these off in my street at about 3am on Halloween, which set off some car alarms.

Absolute arseholes.

At least they didn't launch the fireworks from their assholes.
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    November 5th fell mid week, as a result bonfire night celebrations are taking place on the weekends either side, it's hardly a surprise. I would expect any responsible pet owner to keep their animals in on both of the weekends since it was obvious that fireworks would be being set off.

TBH you are the one that sounds like you have a sense of entitlement expecting families to curtail their enjoyment of traditional celebrations because you have chosen to keep pets.

:rolleyes:

yes very well said

Also what about the noise we have to put up with all year from barking dogs, etc. or the cat shit i have to scoop up every time i want to mow the lawn or the dog shit on the pavement. But am i calling for a ban on pets? no of course not. It's this little thing called 'living in a tolerant society'.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Blofeld wrote: »
    I don't understand why just because bonfire night fell on a weekday that people need to celebrate on the weekends anyway? I remember going to bonfire nights in the local rugby club or park on weekdays and there being plenty of families there. I never used to see this many private displays and certainly not stretching either side of the actual night. I suppose it's like everything else now, no one is able to contain themselves and we are forced to celebrate things for unnecessarily long periods of time.

It's hardly a massive event which needs to be marked. Most fireworks events end around 7 or 8pm on Bonfire night, that's not really late enough to affect people who are working the next day is it? If they wanted to see fireworks then there is plenty of time to finish work and get to an event. There really is no need at all to be letting them off any other day than November 5th. I disagree that Diwali is a valid excuse as that is a celebration of light and is celebrated with lanterns, lights or candles and not really fireworks, which are more noise than light.

There is especially no need to let them off any later than around 8-9pm as that is just inconsiderate and selfish. I don't see how that's fun and I don't see why people can't rightly be annoyed about that happening.

I've often wondered the same. At this time of year it usually starts getting dark around 5PM anyway so it's not like you have to stay up late if you want to have a few fireworks.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    yes very well said

Also what about the noise we have to put up with all year from barking dogs, etc. or the cat shit i have to scoop up every time i want to mow the lawn or the dog shit on the pavement. But am i calling for a ban on pets? no of course not. It's this little thing called 'living in a tolerant society'.

That's a bloody good point, in the summer nights when it's hot I have my windows open in the bedroom and all I hear is "woof, woof, woof" followed by another higher pitched dog, and then the deeper "woof" again, and that can go on for ages and ages. This goes on evening after evening sometimes.

So dog owners please think about this before you start on at people who have some fireworks around bonfire night.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    just head some more dammed fireworks off :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    pericom wrote: »
    November is about the only month you can get fireworks in this country I say let people enjoy them.

No animals should be kept as pets, they should all be free. "Pets" are only with humans because they are conditioned to get food. None of them are as loyal as you think.

Rubbish.

Many towns and cities have all year round fireworks shops. Yes, the mainstream retailers only stock them at this time of year, but to say they are only available at this time of year is complete nonsense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    That's a bloody good point, in the summer nights when it's hot I have my windows open in the bedroom and all I hear is "woof, woof, woof" followed by another higher pitched dog, and then the deeper "woof" again, and that can go on for ages and ages. This goes on evening after evening sometimes.

So dog owners please think about this before you start on at people who have some fireworks around bonfire night.

I hardly class the entire last month as around bonfire night.

If it was only for a few days most people wouldn't mind, but unfortunately it isn't.

Thankfully the ones that have been going off here since 6pm now appear to have died down, but it is the fourth night in a row they have gone on for several hours and there have been many days over the last month too, and of course, all last weekend when the main displays were.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In some places they will keep going for weeks... then it's so close the Christmas, and more Fireworks for New Year Eve.

Other religious celebrations throughout the year, also result in fireworks being let off (year round), so it's not always the hoodies in the streets
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a bit disgusted at fireworks going off near my house at almost midnight yesterday. I don't begrude anyone having fun but it's dark from about 6pm onward now - what do you need to wait until that late for to let fireworks off? Even on a Saturday there WILL be people trying to sleep.
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caring about the welfare of animals, not just pets, but farm animals and wildlife, is "me, me, me"?! How did you work that one out?:confused:

Yes, this is all about those poor animals, and has nothing to do with you, you, you. Has it? Quite clearly.
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    A good few years ago now we had a new neighbour moved in in the second week of November. She thought it would be a good idea to have a bonfire/firework party. Wrong! My cat was outside and she disappeared, terrified. I went over and hammered on this females door and started shouting at her and telling her what a selfish bitch she was. At the very least she should have warned the neighbours she was planning to set off fireworks. My car wasn't the only local pet scared either. Strangely enough she has never spoken to me since. :D:D

Oh dear, and look, you seem so proud of yourself! My reaction to reading this was heaven help anyone having you as a 'neighbour', and heaven help any child having you as a 'granny' ... What a wonderful role model you must be for the poor kid.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    'Twas always thus.

When Bonfire night falls mid week then firework parties and professional displays will always bracket the week, especially if the first weekend has bad weather.

It's to be expected. I wouldn't use the word killjoy for the OP more a case of unreasonable expectation.
  • *animasana**animasana* Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EpsilonVaz wrote: »
    I conditioned my dog by playing firework sounds on my phone and letting him have a good sniff of the phone, now he doesn't care about fireworks.

Inspired idea!:D

When I lived in the UK, my two dogs (total wusses - the pair of them :rolleyes:) the fireworks used to reduce them to absolute wide-eyed, quivering wrecks. Although seeing them distressed did upset me and made me feel rather helpless, I focused on the fact that the stress (theirs & mine) would all be over at some point. Until it did, I'd secretly enjoy them being glued to me and keeping my lap and neck warm.
  • *animasana**animasana* Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a bit disgusted at fireworks going off near my house at almost midnight yesterday. I don't begrude anyone having fun but it's dark from about 6pm onward now - what do you need to wait until that late for to let fireworks off? Even on a Saturday there WILL be people trying to sleep.

Ah, but don't you get it? Letting them off that late, knowing full well you're almost certainly being a pain in the arse to others, is all part of the thrill ;)

I agree with the general consensus here - one week around the 5th November is reasonable, I guess. More than that just becomes tedious & bloody annoying.
    Forum Member
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    'Twas always thus.

When Bonfire night falls mid week then firework parties and professional displays will always bracket the week, especially if the first weekend has bad weather.

It's to be expected. I wouldn't use the word killjoy for the OP more a case of unreasonable expectation.

But why does this happen?

Why is bonfire night such a big event that it must be celebrated on any other day than the 5th November?

That is what I struggle to understand. As has been pointed out, there is plenty of time on bonfire night itself to have fireworks, it's not a "stay up all night partying" event, it's something which can last about an hour or so in the middle of the evening. I really don't see the need to mark this on any other day.

It's not like Ester which has a sliding date. We wouldn't move Christmas day to December 20th if the 25th was a weekday, likewise we wouldn't have 2 Christmas days if it fell on a Wednesday. It just seems such a silly excuse.
  • monkeypuzzlermonkeypuzzler Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    I think Christmas festivities commonly last for longer than the day itself, so that argument doesn't really work. People want to 'do' fireworks with family and friends and often a weekend will be easier to organise. I'm not a big fan of fireworks, and I have a dog that barks at them, but I don't think that means others should be allowed them on one day only, just because it's more convenient to me.
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Its only a few days either side, I fail to see what the problem is. We had our fireworks on friday as everybody was working late shifts or early the next morning on the 5th so it was easier to do a weekend.

It would be different if this was the end of november and firework were still going off but it's not its a few days afterwards. Furthermore its a once a year thing, I keep reading that people sell them all year around and people use them all year around but aside from new years and bonfire night I've never experienced it.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Yes we've had them all week as well. Why not just rename it "Bonfire Week" instead?

People are so bloody entitled these days. Most people around here have pets. Thought I don't think this particular family do funnily enough :rolleyes:

They are aren't they? Like thinking everybody else should live their lives around them and their pets.