(Religion warning) Can Christians judge other people?

2»

Comments

• lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    A few things really. You don't make it clear who, if anyone, is the Christian in this scenario.

If it's you, then I think you'll come across as a bit of an arsey prat if you go up to people and say 'judge not, lest ye be judged'.

Or, if it's this other guy who is Christian, is he or she a bible thumping one? If they're not, you're going to get a withering look if you start spouting scripture out of the blue.

If you are both Christians, or you give the impression that that might be the case, you could end up with a bit of mutual evangelising. I'd try to keep this down to one email each a day if I were you - otherwise you'll both develop a reputation.

Where is this place you want to put them by the way? That all sounds a bit passive aggressive.

What I'd suggest, and I know this is a bit off the wall (I guess I'm just that kind of person) is next time they diss someone in front of you ...... disagree.

The Christian was the colleague of my friend, who my friend reported to be acting bigotted (whilst bible-bashing). I wasn't involved at all - my friend was just asking for opinions.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    The Christian was the colleague of my friend, who my friend reported to be acting bigotted (whilst bible-bashing). I wasn't involved at all - my friend was just asking for opinions.

Not all Christian's think the way of your friend's colleague(my Uncle is a Vicar, his son is gay he does not have a problem with that at all). Don't confuse Christianity with his bigotry. You can be a bigot and an atheist too, this person just happens to be a bigot and a Christian.
  • shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    Not all Christian's think the way of your friend's colleague(my Uncle is a Vicar, his son is gay he does not have a problem with that at all). Don't confuse Christianity with his bigotry. You can be a bigot and an atheist too, this person just happens to be a bigot and a Christian.

Pretty much what I was going to say - a person's faith (or lack of) should not enter in to their ability to 'judge' people. I'm an athiest, but I know lots of Christians through my wife's church and I would have no problem with most of them judging me on a jury. There are one or two who I would consider to be bigots, but I know many non-Christians who are bigots too.
  • FrightfulBoarFrightfulBoar Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't we all judge by our own ethical and moral standards?

If those come from your God, then why not?
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP is quite correct.
    Christians alone in the whole universe are forbidden to judge other people, so he/she is totally in the right to be judging that christian, as the ban doesn't apply to him/her.
    Just as well, eh?
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never actually met an overly judgemental, or even remotely pious Christian. Not in "real life" that is.

Should I get out more?
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    I've never actually met an overly judgemental, or even remotely pious Christian. Not in "real life" that is.

Should I get out more?

I tend to agree that is more an image of a church person 30 or 40 years ago. You will still see some of them who act like the mods of religion.

Yet people judge others on many things: appearance, dress, income, education, political views. You could check this out by visiting a dating site posing as someone with less "desirable" traits.
  • LollytrollLollytroll Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Christians can judge people they are human after all, but they are not meant to.
    There is a bit in the Bible which speaks about judging a person for the speck of wood in their eye and doing nothing about the log in their own. So basically warning against judging others when you have your own issues you need to sort out. The Bible gives very clear warnings that only God can judge people and that having a holier than thou attitude to others is wrong. The simple matter is you can't judge others especially if they don't even believe in God. Makes sense why would you expect people who don't believe in the Bible to live by the guidelines set out in it.

That being said I think that the leaders in the Church should speak into the lives of their congregation if they see that they are doing something that they should not being doing, but they come from a position of wanting to help and guide rather than judge and condemn.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »

Should I get out more?

Seek out a 'Born Again Christian' they tend to be the worst of the worst. Not just brainwashed into it whilst growing up to see it as normal, but someone who has had a massive conversion as an adult and they really must tell everyone about it and convert them as well.

We had one start at my old firm and they were announcing it even before giving their name. We locked horns on the first day and every day. He would go around patronisingly saying to others "Oh I do feel sorry for "Jesse" I do hope he finds God soon". And just like all religious people in all the world, he had no answers, no evidence and no comeback apart from trying to make out the questioner was in the wrong.

I also had a very long time acquaintance who used to use the "F" word at least 3 times in every sentence all of his life. Then he 'found God' and stopped swearing. The nerve of him when I uttered a single utterance of 'F that!" and he told me not to swear. Hypocrisy in action.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seek out a 'Born Again Christian' they tend to be the worst of the worst. Not just brainwashed into it whilst growing up to see it as normal, but someone who has had a massive conversion as an adult and they really must tell everyone about it and convert them as well.

We had one start at my old firm and they were announcing it even before giving their name. We locked horns on the first day and every day. He would go around patronisingly saying to others "Oh I do feel sorry for "Jesse" I do hope he finds God soon". And just like all religious people in all the world, he had no answers, no evidence and no comeback apart from trying to make out the questioner was in the wrong.

I also had a very long time acquaintance who used to use the "F" word at least 3 times in every sentence all of his life. Then he 'found God' and stopped swearing. The nerve of him when I uttered a single utterance of 'F that!" and he told me not to swear. Hypocrisy in action.

I think you'll find it would be hypocritical if he was STILL swearing and objected to you swearing. As it is he is only asking you not to swear around him. Fair enough, I say.
    As for "seeking out a born again christian" .... an alternative would be to get a life.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    "From the boards" is a parody of Digital Spy (General Discussion).
    There are some recurring "posters", but "Justice4maddie" always latches onto any discussion about X with response "anyone tries X with my daughters an i swear, i'll do time!"

That column is hilarious and often disturbingly close to DS:GD.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the writer reads GD for inspiration.:o
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Again that is a total generalization. If by "born again" you mean baptized in adulthood, into a fundamentalist church, I have met a number like that and they are not at all judgmental of others, just the opposite. They came to the church out of their own serious problems, made use of the structure to help them, and they will be the last ones to be pointing fingers at others. Not swearing can just be a small step in a larger process of self control, watching your words, as words often lead to actions. It might not mean much to you but to someone who needs the structure, it can mean a great deal.
    Forum Member
    Don't we all judge by our own ethical and moral standards?

If those come from your God, then why not?

I suppose it's difficult not to judge in your mind, but it's certainly easier to bite your tongue. I guess the world would be a nicer place if we kept judgement up top.
  • FrightfulBoarFrightfulBoar Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose it's difficult not to judge in your mind, but it's certainly easier to bite your tongue. I guess the world would be a nicer place if we kept judgement up top.

I don't know about you, but when someone judges me I just laugh in their face, if I pay any attention at all.

I can do that because I'm a grown up and don't need validation from others.

My personal opinion is that if you are concerned that other people are judging your behaviour, there probably is something wrong with that behaviour.

None of this is aimed at your personally of course lemoncurd :)
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    The OP is quite correct.
    Christians alone in the whole universe are forbidden to judge other people, so he/she is totally in the right to be judging that christian, as the ban doesn't apply to him/her.
    Just as well, eh?

Who said I was judging the Christian? :confused:
    Look, I'm as guilty as the next person of judging others. We all do it. I just wondered if it was a useable argument for my friend to counter what he perceived as bigotry to quote the bible as stipulating that it is sinful to judge other humans. Also, as I thought I recalled something along "all sins are equal in the eyes of the Lord", that judging was just as sinful as Paganism or sodomy?
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    Legally, I believe she has to. Being a Christian doesn't mean you can get out of performing your duty, even people who can't speak good English have served on juries........

yes."render unto ceaser" ..... and lutheran principle of obedience to civil law.

the "judge not" thing is about not claiming to know who will and will not be saved. even evangelical christians cannot say that all gays will go to hell. that is up to god ,,,,, "many are called, few are chosen ....."