Global GMG Deal - Competition Commission

1787980818284»

Comments

• jimbojimbo Posts: 16,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ofcom's monthly radio license bulletin was published today

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/radio-broadcast-licensing/monthly-updates/update0314

In it it mentions licence transfers

one of these is Real Radio which says it has been transferred from Real And Smooth Limited to "Smooth Radio Limited". The satellite feed of Smooth is to be part of Smooth Radio London Ltd.

The arrangement about Real Radio is similar to what was announced last month with Gold stations being transferred to companies that no longer exist in their own right.

Also in this bulletin it mentions the format change requests for the Gold Netowrk (ie the ones that changed to Smoth

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/radio/formats-content/changes/gold-2014

For Global to suggest the change will not change overall the character of service is laughable. The genres of music are completely different. This should have gone to a public consultation and had it done so I am willing to bet people would have said a big fat "NO" to this.

Comments welcome - clean please!
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    For Global to suggest the change will not change overall the character of service is laughable. The genres of music are completely different. This should have gone to a public consultation and had it done so I am willing to bet people would have said a big fat "NO" to this.

Comments welcome - clean please!

It wouldn't have gone to a public consultation because it's only AM radio:
    Whether the station broadcasts on AM or FM. Ofcom has long recognised that AM stations are at a disadvantage in retaining listeners because of the relatively poor technical quality of the medium. Changes, including substantial changes, to AM station Formats, will therefore be more willingly agreed than would be the case for FM stations.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/radio/formats-content/changes/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    seiko456 wrote: »
    It does seem the changes at Smooth has hacked off alot of people, 3 days later and people are still complaining about the changes.

https://www.facebook.com/smooth.radio

3 days????? Haha!!! There will probably still be a few complaining in 3 months. It won't make any difference though.
  • andrew1973andrew1973 Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cut6 wrote: »
    3 days????? Haha!!! There will probably still be a few complaining in 3 months. It won't make any difference though.

That'll be an awful lot of anoraks moaning then won't it, eh Cut6? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't figure out what's happening to Heart Wirral on 97.1. Is it becoming Capital or is it staying as Heart?
  • TVCymruTVCymru Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    I can't figure out what's happening to Heart Wirral on 97.1. Is it becoming Capital or is it staying as Heart?

It's becoming Capital alongside the North Wales stations. This will result in Capital serving the Wirral and Merseyside as the Manchester station broadcasts to Greater Manchester area only
  • mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they don't put it on the Dab mux co transmitters , this multiplex with its problems has awful sound on 4 out of the 6 stations at the mo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVCymru wrote: »
    It's becoming Capital alongside the North Wales stations. This will result in Capital serving the Wirral and Merseyside as the Manchester station broadcasts to Greater Manchester area only

Interesting, 97.1 does serve Liverpool very well. I know the transmitter map says it only does the city centre but in reality it's much better than that. In the same way as Capital Manchester being clearly receivable in most of Wirral.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always found the 97.1 signal to be poor, even in parts of the Wirral (Birkenhead especially). Maybe they've made some adjustments but the rubbish coverage from the Storeton transmitter has been mentioned several times on this forum over the years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always found the 97.1 signal to be poor, even in parts of the Wirral (Birkenhead especially). Maybe they've made some adjustments but the rubbish coverage from the Storeton transmitter has been mentioned several times on this forum over the years.

Oh right, well it's fine in my car. But it must vary depending on the aerial.

But at least it's miles better than the 102 FM signal in Wirral and Liverpool. I know quite a lot of people that listen to Capital anyway on 102 so they will definitely appreciate the better signal. Will the Wirral and North Wales get different breakfast and drive time shows to Manchester then?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    Will the Wirral and North Wales get different breakfast and drive time shows to Manchester then?

Yes, I'm led to believe that 96.3 (North Wales coast), 97.1 (Wirrall) and 103.4 (North East Wales & Chester) will share Breakfast and Drive, whilst 103 (North West Wales) will have their own Breakfast and Drive shows.
  • phildunk1986phildunk1986 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Heart Anglesey also changing to Capital? If it is do you think they will keep the local presenters? Heart Anglesey do not take the network afternoon show between 13.00 - 16.00. They have instead 1 hour of non stop music between 13.00 - 14.00 and then afternoon / drive show between 14.00 - 19.00
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Heart Anglesey also changing to Capital? If it is do you think they will keep the local presenters? Heart Anglesey do not take the network afternoon show between 13.00 - 16.00. They have instead 1 hour of non stop music between 13.00 - 14.00 and then afternoon / drive show between 14.00 - 19.00

I think they'll keep the extra local shows in order to broadcast Welsh language content.

As far as we know it will change to Capital, but some people have said Smooth would be better due to the Welsh music. I agree with that, as I'm not sure how these tracks will sound inbetween Tinie Tempah and Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy1ZP9EtIls
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzsnNY_lPH0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04YTh1Hl9qQ
    (Taken from this morning's playlist)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    I think they'll keep the extra local shows in order to broadcast Welsh language content.

As far as we know it will change to Capital, but some people have said Smooth would be better due to the Welsh music. I agree with that, as I'm not sure how these tracks will sound inbetween Tinie Tempah and Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy1ZP9EtIls
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzsnNY_lPH0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04YTh1Hl9qQ
    (Taken from this morning's playlist)

Yes, Heart Anglesey (103FM) is changing to Capital with Breakfast and afternoons/drive (though not sure of the exact time slots) remaining in Welsh as they are now.

As I've said earlier in the thread, in my opinion, Smooth would've probably been a more appropriate flip for Heart Anglesey and Gwynedd and it could be a bit of a struggle to adequately fill the Capital playlist with similar sounding tracks in Welsh. Contemporary Welsh music, in general terms, would tend to suit the playlists of Heart, Smooth and XFM. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's no Welsh artists that would suit the Capital playlist, but there's not that many say compared to what would suit Heart for example. If Heart Anglesey and Gwynedd had flipped to Smooth at least it could utilise Welsh artists from previous decades.
    Forum Member
    Just heated the Capital is comming advert on Heart 103. It's the official worst advert in the world
  • CS73CS73 Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Just heated the Capital is comming advert on Heart 103. It's the official worst advert in the world

Was this during an ad break?
    Been listening for the last hour and not heard anything..
  • x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What does it say?
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    x+y wrote: »
    What does it say?

Capital is coming?

:D
  • seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While the heart version is just same but different.

Crap is coming :D
  • CS73CS73 Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Must only be going out in local hours, been listening to Roberto for nearly 2 hours now and not heard anything
    Forum Member
    Heard it during the afternoon show on Heart Cymru saying that Capital is coming with The Best Veraity of Music said in Welsh

Also don't like the Heart Bed with Real Radio ID during the buildup to the news

Also does anyone know when Smooth is leaving D1????
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to be confusing times for the good people of North Wales.
    If the current Heart is only running the 'Capital is coming' announcements, the listeners may not know to retune to the former Real frequencies to continue listening to Heart.

Although I suspect Global have a plan in place, they are usually quite good at this kind of thing.
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is now reported by Companies house that

in relation to GMG:

Registered address changed to 30 Leicester Square

and

Appointments Terminated:

Director Mark Lee, Colin Everitt
    Secretary Colin Erveritt

Director appointed:
    Mr Michael Damien Connole