Driving a van for the first time

Uncle_PhilUncle_Phil Posts: 490
Forum Member
Hi,

Since I passed my test 3 years ago I've been regularly driving a 1.0 Vauxhall Corsa, it's the only car I've ever driven. On Thursday I'll be hiring a Transit to move some furniture and I'm wondering if anyone can advise on how different things will be and if it will be much more difficult to drive (particularly parking and reversing). I don't want to look like a complete idiot pulling away from the hire centre.

Thanks

Comments

• iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get in and be the boss of it !

Just be aware of the width of it and the speed potential with the much more powerful engine , you will soon adapt . All ford cars and vans are engineered to make it easy for new users to get in and drive without any issues .
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First of all do a safety check (don't take hire peoples word for it) around the Transit and check for damage. Get in the driving seat and adjust the height and forward/backward position. Once your happy with your seating adjust the wing mirrors to a suitable angle, which will help when reversing, overtaking and on left turning use wing mirrors to see on coming cyclist. Also if very close to vehicles when pulling out of a tight space ( car park) make sure rear end doesn't jut out slightly and hit something. I find it just as easy as a car to drive. 35 years of driving transit, PSV, HGV.Enjoy it.;-):)
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uncle_Phil wrote: »
    On Thursday I'll be hiring a Transit to move some furniture and I'm wondering if anyone can advise on how different things will be and if it will be much more difficult to drive (particularly parking and reversing).

Yes, it is a bit harder - it's wider and longer for a start, and you probably won't have a rear-view mirror. But you get used to it quickly and just learn to drive much more carefully.

It can also be more fun than a car (if it's like the Transits I've rented), being in an elevated position.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of controls, its pretty much the same as a car. Obviously be aware of the length and width but don't forget the high. You may have to be careful at car parks. But in terms of driving I find vans easier as you have a better view of the road. Just take it easy and keep checking mirrors. If you have a problem reversing then get a mate to spot for you.

Also be aware that speed limits on dual carriageways are different. Oh it will probably be diesel so don't try and put petrol in there, though modern transits have a fill-safe nozzle which should stop that happening.

If you have any questions then ask the people at the hire place.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Also be aware that speed limits on dual carriageways are different..

motorways are still the same though
    https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    motorways are still the same though
    https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

was thinking of single carriageway which is 50 for vans instead of 60, not dual carriageway which is still 60. I remember reading about a load of transit connect drivers getting done as its fully laden weight is more then 2 tons.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Do a thorough check for any existing damage before you drive it away, making sure to highlight any that does exist on the hire form, ideally with the hirer present. It'll stop any claims that you damaged it so you pay for repairs arguments. Be aware too that if you commit any traffic offences, as well as the legal side of it (points, fine etc) that you'll face the hirer will probably charge a decent sized admin fee to process any FPNs or NIPs. Stay within the law.

Before you set off familiarise yourself with the controls, and make sure that you adjust the external mirrors so that you can see as much as possible from the normal driving position - you probably won't have the option of a shoulder check or an internal mirror so you need to have as much external vision as possible. Don't be afraid to drive it half a mile and stop to readjust them if necessary. Stay alert, be aware, and relax. It'll still have three pedals, a gear lever & a steering wheel. It's not that different, and not difficult.

And a final tip - find your favourite radio station before you set off, and know where the volume is. It's easier to do that still in the car park at base rather than when trying to drive in busy traffic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll be grand.

Although I've driven loads of different cars, I've only driven a van twice, both hired. It's the same as a car pretty much apart from reversing is harder as you have poor visibility.

I find them pretty nice to drive, sometimes nicer than whatever car I have at the time!
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If its Thursday, you've not got much time to put on loads of weight and become a racist.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be very careful if it's a long wheelbase version. If you're inexperienced it's very easy to be caught out when turning left out of a gateway (as I once found out to my cost). You really do have to swing out far wider than in a car and you really need to get a bit of practice in before going out onto the roads.

I scraped the side of a van, which was bad enough, but then I thought about the consequences if I had been turning left when there there was a cyclist next to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch out for foxes
    I smashed a fox to pieces in a hire van a few years ago. The local ARC carwash wouldn't let me through it so I had to clean it off at home with a hose. Nasty stuff.

If there was literally nothing you could do then don't feel guilty. Life comes and goes.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Do a thorough check for any existing damage before you drive it away, making sure to highlight any that does exist on the hire form, ideally with the hirer present. It'll stop any claims that you damaged it so you pay for repairs arguments. Be aware too that if you commit any traffic offences, as well as the legal side of it (points, fine etc) that you'll face the hirer will probably charge a decent sized admin fee to process any FPNs or NIPs. Stay within the law.

^ This. Van hire companies are murder for it. Also, make sure you know what the fuel replacement procedure is, and make sure you take it back with exactly the same amount in as you received it, as many round here will dip test the tank to double check, and charge you even if you're a few quid short.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    Also, make sure you know what the fuel replacement procedure is, and make sure you take it back with exactly the same amount in as you received it, as many round here will dip test the tank to double check, and charge you even if you're a few quid short.

It's mainly the vehicle hire companies (car or van) who rip off the customer.

For example, vehicles are usually supplied with a full tank. But a full tank can mean (A) the gauge with the needle at 8/8, or (B) past 8/8 at the limits of its movement, or (C) actually full, which is impossible to determine (well, there are ways which involves immediately topping up).

Usually it will be between A and B, but it is very difficult to fill up the tank so that it stops at A or B, generally it will be filled to C. And the last van I rented actually had a set of 0 to 8 LEDs for the fuel gauge, which is even worse. So with 8 LEDs lit, the fuel is at at least A, but you can't tell if it's at B or C.

So when I had to return it after a mere 90 miles' use, I tried to fill up, but it just kept going and going and going! I eventually gave up after I'd put in £27 worth of fuel, but all 8 LEDs were on so that was OK. But how much extra had I wasted? How much more could I have put in ?!
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dead easy... higher driving position will give you a good sense of the van's size and the different feel/layout will mean you're unlikely to forget you're in a bigger vehicle and misjudge any corners or gaps. Just give plenty of revs when you move off and nice and easy on the clutch and you'll glide away like a pro. Oh, obviously make sure your wing mirrors are perfectly adjusted cos you'll use them loads....
  • sarky sparksarky spark Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check all lights and tyres before you leave the van hire place, I had a van hire company give me a van that had two completely bald tyres and none of the tail lights worked.
  • USIMUSIM Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can, take a passenger who is also a driver. They will give you the confidence that you are not driving too close to the side of the road or when you pass parked cars.

Keep a sensible distance from the car in front. They may drive like a car, but it's still a big vehicle and needs a bit more distance to stop.

Keep to just below the speed limit. One of the great things about driving a transit is that the BMW drivers who drive in your boot when you're driving a Corsa won't give you any hassle at all when you're in a van :)
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just after you collect it, go to a reasonably empty car park somewhere (a shopping mall?) and practice reversing and parking using mirrors only. Just play for half an hour and you'll soon get used to it.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    If you are not absolutely sure from your mirrors what is behind you in the blind spot when reversing: GET OUT AND HAVE A LOOK!
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Since I passed my test 3 years ago I've been regularly driving a 1.0 Vauxhall Corsa, it's the only car I've ever driven. On Thursday I'll be hiring a Transit

So why, two days ago, did you claim that you hired a van a few years ago - and smashed a fox to pieces in it?
    I smashed a fox to pieces in a hire van a few years ago.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    You'll be fine after 5 mins behind the wheel. I've driven a few vans doing removals for family and stuff and you adjust pretty quickly (and I'm by no means a skilled driver - I struggle to get used to new cars).

Just give yourself a little bit more distance behind the car in front and be wary of the brakes. You might stall a couple of times to begin with but you'll quickly get used to it.