New Tricks Series 11

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did enjoy it, sort of, but it has def lost the comedy, shame.
  • Ben_PainterBen_Painter Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    According to BBC media centre Strickland will be in episode three.
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »

A clip of the upcoming episode has been uploaded to the official BBC website. It looks quite promising comedy-wise.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    According to BBC media centre Strickland will be in episode three.

I saw Strickland in real life the other day - he and his wife were in the audience of a play I was watching in London.
  • BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much to my surprise I enjoyed it
    Nicholas Lyndhurst will always be Rodney, but his "arrest" of the jewellry seller was something else
  • auntiemauntiem Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    k9fan wrote: »
    Poor. A disappointment.

There was no humour.

Where was Strickland?:confused:

Thank goodness for the two Dennis.

I thought the same. Am really not warming to Nicholas Lyndhurst either and found his character annoying.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just Nicholas Lyndhurst's character, which is very annoying. The whole thing no longer seems to gel. The acting last night was just abysmal and unconvincing especially the antiques dealer with the beard that the team were tracking down,. After that hospital scene I switched off NT is just a pale shadow of its former glory.
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cross Nicholas Lyndhursat has to bear is that he will always be seen as Rodney by a lot of people, even though he has done plenty of other stuff. He isn't the first comic actor to attempt a straight role. Del Boy didn't do too badly as Frost, did he? One thing that occurs to me is that when doing comedy, he is rarely the clown. He is more of the straight man and the humour tends to occur around him rather than through him.

That is why I don't think that the criticisms re: his stiffness are really justified. Can you be certain that he isn't just playing the part the way it is supposed to be played? Danny is a remote character, not a Jack the lad, like Gerry, or easy to get on with, like Steve. He is, however, very good at what he does and I think his full integration into the team will take time because his character is so reserved.

I must admit that I was concerned about how things would work out after the upheavals of last season. I didn't have any problem with the departures of Jack and Sandra because their replacements are fine. It was Brian that troubled me. How do you replace Alun Armstrong? Simple answer, you can't. Finding someone else to play another genius who is a bit too much out of touch with reality for his own good would be counter-productive. The character slot had to be taken in a totally new direction, and this is what they have done. I may be wrong, but I think the full depth of this character is yet to be revealed.
    Forum Member
    Next episode will be a Danny episode because it will focus on him missing Holly. Plus I think his wife will be turning up. So yes there is a lot to his character yet to be explored.
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next episode will be a Danny episode because it will focus on him missing Holly. Plus I think his wife will be turning up. So yes there is a lot to his character yet to be explored.

Holly missing? Does that mean we get mrs. Danny yelling Hollllleeeeee all the time?
  • auntiemauntiem Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    The cross Nicholas Lyndhursat has to bear is that he will always be seen as Rodney by a lot of people, even though he has done plenty of other stuff. He isn't the first comic actor to attempt a straight role. Del Boy didn't do too badly as Frost, did he? One thing that occurs to me is that when doing comedy, he is rarely the clown. He is more of the straight man and the humour tends to occur around him rather than through him.

That is why I don't think that the criticisms re: his stiffness are really justified. Can you be certain that he isn't just playing the part the way it is supposed to be played? Danny is a remote character, not a Jack the lad, like Gerry, or easy to get on with, like Steve. He is, however, very good at what he does and I think his full integration into the team will take time because his character is so reserved.

I must admit that I was concerned about how things would work out after the upheavals of last season. I didn't have any problem with the departures of Jack and Sandra because their replacements are fine. It was Brian that troubled me. How do you replace Alun Armstrong? Simple answer, you can't. Finding someone else to play another genius who is a bit too much out of touch with reality for his own good would be counter-productive. The character slot had to be taken in a totally new direction, and this is what they have done. I may be wrong, but I think the full depth of this character is yet to be revealed.

This is not what I am on about at all. It has nothing to do with his acting ability, his voice or his acting history (I must be the only person in the UK that has seen less than 6 only fools episodes).

It is the character they have tried to make him be, that this fact-spewing is not interesting or engaging. The character is so dry and dull, it drains the programme.
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And my point was that they had to take a major direction change in replacing Alun Armstrong, and that this character will take some time to develop fully. Watch the series and see if your opinion remains unaltered at the end. If it does, fair enough. You are entitled to it. Personally, I disagree. I think the new team is a successful reboot and Danny Griffin is an integral part of that.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    auntiem wrote: »
    This is not what I am on about at all. It has nothing to do with his acting ability, his voice or his acting history (I must be the only person in the UK that has seen less than 6 only fools episodes).

It is the character they have tried to make him be, that this fact-spewing is not interesting or engaging. The character is so dry and dull, it drains the programme.

I agree with you and to be quite honest I don't think I can be bothered to watch loads of episodes in the hope that interesting aspects of his character will eventually be revealed. I will watch a couple more then I may give up.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    auntiem wrote: »
    ................ Am really not warming to Nicholas Lyndhurst either and found his character annoying.

At least he's consistent, then.
    ................ Del Boy didn't do too badly as Frost, did he? ......................

Because David Jason has the ability to play totally different characters, and make each convincing. When we watch Frost, we forget he played Del and Granville. Another such was Leonard Rossiter.

Unfortunately, too many actors just play the same character time after time.
  • looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bit I thought I would really dislike I actually like - and that is Tamsin Outhwaite taking over from Amanda Redman. I have never rated her as an actress and whilst I am I not saying she deserves an Oscar for this, she seems to fit really well into the role and I'm really liking her.

Danny is a character that needs to grow a bit - he has some good lines, but they need to provide him with more comedy - Brian was a fully rounded character and we saw him interacting with his wife & his dog. We need to see more personal stuff about Danny - hopefully this will happen over the series. I'm going to stick with it and I think it will improve. The first episode of the series was acceptable - not great, but OK.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looby383x wrote: »
    The bit I thought I would really dislike I actually like - and that is Tamsin Outhwaite taking over from Amanda Redman. I have never rated her as an actress and whilst I am I not saying she deserves an Oscar for this, she seems to fit really well into the role and I'm really liking her.
    Amanda Redman as 'Sandra' was much more authoritative and self-assured in her role right from the start than Tasmin Outhwaite's 'Sasha' has shown so far. Also Sandra had a humorous, sardonic streak which she used with subtlety. I've yet to see anything that makes me warm to or smile along with Sasha, and I don't think I'll stay with it long enough to find out.
  • BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    At least he's consistent, then.

Because David Jason has the ability to play totally different characters, and make each convincing. When we watch Frost, we forget he played Del and Granville. Another such was Leonard Rossiter.

Unfortunately, too many actors just play the same character time after time.

I disagree, to me David Jason is always Del Boy
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not the series I fell in love with - but it's still worth watching and one of the best things on tv at the moment.

There's been such a change of personel that it seems almost like starting over.
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timebug wrote: »
    I continued watching after James Bolam left, as Alun Armstrong and
    Amanda Redman were still onboard;but with their departure and the
    arrival of the new Female Boss who can't act for toffee,and Nicholas
    Lyndhurst being very very wooden, I'm afraid that was it for me.
    Proof is in the repeats on the freeview channels.The original team
    had that elusive chemistry that makes these things 'work'.For me,
    the 'new' team, unfortunately, just don't seem to make it!

I have to agree. I used to really enjoy this programme. The original team were quirky and funny and really seemed to look out for each other. With Brian and Jack gone and Tamsin Outwaite trying to be a poor imitation of Sandra and Jerry looking about 100, I think its time to put this one out of its misery.
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stand by my original post which is quoted
    above. I did not watch it,and will not, and a
    good friend of mine and long time fan,saw
    the first episode the other night and said
    that he too was 'bailing out' as it had lost
    whatever it was that 'made it' to start with!
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Decent first episode, must be one of the few times where it wasn't a murder. The cast seems to have gelled which considering they've only had two episodes beforehand is pretty impressive.

I do wonder whether the series would continue if Dennis Waterman decides to leave since he's the last remaining original cast member.

In one of the interviews about this series, Dennis did say he considered leaving when the others did, but he stayed because he was having too much fun to go, so I don't think he'll be leaving at this late date.
    Forum Member
    nick202 wrote: »
    I saw Strickland in real life the other day - he and his wife were in the audience of a play I was watching in London.

Sasha's ex was in charge because Strickland was 'away'. Glad to see he'll only be missing two.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »

Same here. I thought it was "ok" but nothing more. Something's missing, and I don't mean just the cast members. Perhaps it's just impossible to make so many cast changes and to keep pleasing long-time viewers of the original.
    I will continue watching, but not with the old enthusiasm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Something's missing, and I don't mean just the cast members..
    The original premise of the show was three old coppers getting to grips with new policing methods. That is where much of the humour came from. They can't do this any more unless you want the show permanently set in 2004. Any new members to the team will already be up to speed with modern policing, or they'll be walking with a zimmerframe.
    Forum Member
    At the start of Tamzin's 'Who do you think you are', she was reading a draft script of Episode 5, 'London Underground' written by Julian Simpson. It was 'Draft 3' from January 2014.

Strickland was in the cast, as was Sasha's ex.

'Pressed up against the grate, from the other side, the grey, dead face of Oliver Houghton, sightless eyes staring across the Thames ...

Someone Screams.

Opening Credits.

Noticed that bit, lol