Is the bbc the best value tv in the world?

bikinibikini Posts: 166
Forum Member
I love the bbc. radio four is brilliant best docs, match of the day, debates etc and no adverts.
is it the best tv on earth and worth it?

Comments

• henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome to the forums Tony Hall.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As to the original questions...

Is the BBC the best TV in the world? Probably not, as there are better examples of most genres around the world, but possibly not from one single broadcaster.

Is the BBC the best value TV in the world? Difficult to answer, as the "forced" element of the LF skews the response. Perhaps it's best broken down a bit...

Is the BBC the best LF-funded TV in the world? i think the answer would be "yes". I can't think of another PSB broadcaster, not funded via advertising, that provides a better, wider range of programming.

Is the BBC the best value LF-funded TV in the world? i think the answer would again be "yes". I can't think of another PSB broadcaster, not funded via advertising, that provides a better, wider range of programming for the unit price, although, £ for $, PBS in the US must run it close.

K
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't one of the main US networks the best "value" TV in the world? Comedy, drama, action, sports, national and local news, daytime, late night. And all for free.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    Isn't one of the main US networks the best "value" TV in the world? Comedy, drama, action, sports, national and local news, daytime, late night. And all for free.
    With 20 minutes of ad breaks for most of the prime time junk - is Scandal or Hostages really worth it? Otherwise syndicated junk all other hours. Great.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums Tony Hall.

So if he's Tony Hall, does that make you Rupert Murdoch? ;-)
  • RoweyRowey Posts: 2,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [highlight]CORRECT![/highlight] and its programmes are much better quality and have higher budgets than the cheap and tacky rubbish like Tumble that the BBC serves up.

Considering We pay nearly £4 billion for the BBC with our Forced pay TV subscriptions, its probably the worst Value TV service in the world. >:(
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowey wrote: »
    [highlight]CORRECT![/highlight] and its programmes are much better quality and have higher budgets than the cheap and tacky rubbish like Tumble that the BBC serves up.

Considering We pay nearly £4 billion for the BBC with our Forced pay TV subscriptions, its probably the worst Value TV service in the world. >:(
    If you actually did some research you would know that many people in the US are forced to pay for these channels because many parts of the Country can't get over the air reception. So you have no choice but to subscribe to cable or satellite which costs alot more money than the TV licence.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    The answer to the Question is NO.

I think the need for discussion is unfounded.

The answer is obvious.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    The answer to the Question is NO.

The answer is obvious.
    Considering some people disagree with you. What you are saying is not true.
  • technoguytechnoguy Posts: 2,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thread is nonsensical. If I came up to you and stole your wallet and spent your money on a bag of random items you didn't want then gave you the bag back and said "stop moaning about having your money taken I got you good value on them items"

You looked in the bag and then said "this looks just like the same crap you can get in any old shop. It even says poundland on the bag."

Then I spent the next 15 years telling you how you were wrong and that these were the best items in the world and people from every other country in the world are inferior and cant possibly make theses items as good.

You would finally understand why we find BBC apologists on digital spy so annoying.
  • holidaynumptyholidaynumpty Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Spain at the minute and the bbc world news is shocking.
    No news to speak of. An hour filled with nothing of importance before it all goes on a loop again.
    WORLD news...should be done under the trades description act....if that still exists.
  • tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    I am staring to see a very prominent theme on DS :)
    For me the BBC is in no way value for money, But I am wise enough to not even try to debate this with the pro BBC army who seem to loiter this forum, ready to pounce on anyone who dares criticize the BBC :D
    The threads are always an amusing read though!......

Game on
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    bikini wrote: »
    I love the bbc. radio four is brilliant best docs, match of the day, debates etc and no adverts.

No, it isn't the best TV on earth. It definitely comes out with some stuff worth watching, like dozens of other TV companies. Is it "worth it?" I'll leave that question to the people who actually have to pay for it. If the BBC disappeared I would think it a shame, since it makes some interesting things that probably only they would make.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I think the answer to this is yes. UK has the best PBS service in the world that offers wide variety of quality and balanced production, with zero advertisements. The only PBS in Europe that can be compared to the BBC is maybe Italian RAI. UK also has the best free to air television available in the world with thorough lineup (Freeview and Freesat) and additional interactive services (red button and catch up tv). BBC also has some of the best public radio stations bbc radio 2 and 6 music being the most popular ones. I can't think of a country in the world that has more complementary PBS. Comparing the american free to air channels with the beeb is pointless, as all off the american free to air channels except PBS network are commercial channels and have nothing to do with the PBS model we have in Europe as America never had a true PBS model. This is like comparing private hospital and clinics in America to the HNS hospitals at home.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    bikini wrote: »

no I never watch it so it is very expensive for me I only watch sky,sky sports,sky news ,sky movies etc so I am paying for a product I don't use:cry:
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,942
    Forum Member
    no I never watch it so it is very expensive for me I only watch sky,sky sports,sky news ,sky movies etc so I am paying for a product I don't use:cry:

Sky is far more expensive, F1 is a good example.

The Sky entertainment channels alone cost a whopping £258 a year., you want sport that'll be another £294 a year. You want you merely want to watch Sky in one more room that costs £135 a year.
  • JVDJVD Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.

Earlier this week the wife and I cancelled Sky after many years of being with them , we now make do with on demand services like Netflix , it's the future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So nothing abiut the rest if the channels you pay for as part of your Sky subscription...

I love it when people try to use Sky as supposedly being fairer than the TV Licence when the exact opposite is true.
  • PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »

The answer is obvious.

Indeed - the answer is obviously 'yes'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JVD wrote: »
    No.

Earlier this week the wife and I cancelled Sky after many years of being with them , we now make do with on demand services like Netflix , it's the future.
    Which of course are services that are selling others' creations...

There has to be companies making the TV programmes and Films in the first place for Netflix etc to be able to exist, if they stop making programmes then Netflix has no new content.
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Spain at the minute and the bbc world news is shocking.
    No news to speak of. An hour filled with nothing of importance before it all goes on a loop again.
    WORLD news...should be done under the trades description act....if that still exists.

But that law doesn’t apply to you since you are outside the UK!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just realised this this thread has been pruned and libelous comments were removed...
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    You're comparing high-budget dramas* with a (comparatively) low-budget entertainment programme? Exactly how is that a fair comparison? (Note: That was a genuine but I don't suppose you'll bother to actually answer it though. Probably because you can't.)

(* Of course the US can afford to spend multi-millions of dollars per episode on their dramas. It's called 'economy of scale'. Not sure what the BBC's most expensive drama is but "Doctor Who" can only spend £1m or so on each episode because it's so popular around the world; and yet even that show has has it's budget cut in recent years.)

Come back with a proper, decent argument and you might be taken more seriously.
    I've just realised this this thread has been pruned and libelous comments were removed...
    Ahh! I thought my post had disappeared. Thanks for confirming I'm not going senile just yet :D
  • BurstfireBurstfire Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [highlight]CORRECT![/highlight]

You are aware the BBC is not just television right?
    A huge chunk of that license fee goes to radio &online aswell... It's amazing how many on this forum seem to forget that.
    We have 59 radio stations in this country that are also covered.
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Talk about ignorant. Even with their higher budgets how many of the network TV's scripted content really reach the production values and quality of the BBC's especially when it comes to drama. Hannibal really is the only one that comes close and that's due to the majority of its funding coming from abroad rather than NBC thus limiting NBC's influence. Outside that The Good Wife is probably network TV's high point and even that's a little light and fluffy.

Should also be noted that most people get their network tv via paid platforms, platforms that pay the network a carriage fee per subscriber which brings in many many times the income the LF brings in for BBC so its not like its free.

US Network also has its fair share of trash TV that makes tumble look high brow. This despite only have 2 to 3 hours a night to fill